Dulwich Hamlet 1-1 Margate, 3pm 28th April (at Tooting & Mitcham's ground)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Shieldsman, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Shieldsman

Shieldsman Member

Hi all,

Long suffering Sunderland supporter here.

As you may be aware our game v Fulham was recently selected by Sky to be televised on Fri April 27th moved from its original Saturday 3pm slot. The change was made well within Sky’s 5 week window for fixture changes with them citing the need to show meaningful games. This meant that lots of us who had already booked up train and hotel accommodation are faced with either forfeiting it or travelling to London anyway and enjoying a weekend without the inevitable disappointment of seeing Sunderland getting battered by Fulham.
    Our group of 8 would like to take in a match, we’re all supporters of our local non-league team South Shields and would prefer to line to the pockets of a similar club than the league club alternatives available that weekend.
    Having read about your fight against the Meadows group and the surrounding issues we’d like to support your club on that weekend which will hopefully be a successful one in terms of your league position.
    Any advice you could give regarding pubs before the game, travel etc would be much appreciated - we’ll be travelling from the Fulham area - our base for the Saturday night.

Many thanks and good luck for the rest of the season.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Will be great to see you there. Coming from Fulham you need the District line to Wimbledon and then a few stops on the tram to Mitcham Junction. There are not many pubs near the ground but our two bars will be open and lively.

If you are after a pint en route the Prince of Wales opposite Wimbledon Station is excellent

Sunderland Bhoy and Shieldsman like this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Just want to make absolutely sure you're aware this game will be played at Tooting, not at Dulwich! District Line Underground to Wimbledon then tram to Mitcham looks like the best route, 5 minutes stroll to the ground.

What sort of pubs do you want? Big screen sports? Real ale?

I visited South Shields only last weekend for the Prescot Cables match. Best neutral game I've seen for years.

20180331_154151.jpg 20180331_144404.jpg o 20180331_162749.jpg

Shieldsman likes this.
  4. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

South Shields fans will fit in great at Dulwich Hamlet, I'm sure! :) Met a bunch of you guys at Brighouse pre-Xmas. Fantastic travelling support.

Pink Panther and Shieldsman like this.
  5. Shieldsman

Shieldsman Member

Thanks both. The stop enroute at the Prince of Wales sounds like a good shout. We get into Kings Cross at around 10 so plan to drop bags at the hotel before heading down to Tooting. As for pubs, anywhere that’s remotely lively really - we’re a mixed bag in that some like the ales others any decent lager.
    There’s 100s of Sunderland fans that have been done over by the fixture change - I’d hope Dulwich (hopefully that’s where a fair chunk of the admittance fee) and other non-league sides will benefit although some are talking about scouting League 1 opposition ahead of our upcoming relegation at Charlton!

Great pics of Mariners Park by the way - I hope you enjoyed your day out! There seems to be a fair few similarities between Shields and Dulwich. We were booted out of our ground, amidst financial ruin 6 years ago. Thankfully, things have improved immeasurably since then, I hope the same thing happens to Hamlet.

6. Pickers

Pickers Member

As a long suffering Sunderland fan who lives is Dulwich and attends Hamlet games when I can I must say there is far more joy in watching Dulwich these days.

I think this is the last game of the season and the way things are currently going it could be that the championship could be still up for grabs.

If we hadn’t been kicked out of our ground then this would likely have been all ticket. Not sure what will happen with the game being at Tootham but you may want to keep an eye on this.

Scandalous behaviour by Sky changing the Sunderland game at such short notice.

Shieldsman and Pink Panther like this.
  7. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Sky have shagged millwall and any London based boro fans as well, albeit a few less than Sunderland affected. twats.

8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Calling all Sunderland fans, especially Shieldsman ...

Many thanks for coming on here and posting about your predicament. As someone who's fortunate enough to be on the Football Committee, and one who can lead on community initiatives, I've spoken to liamdhfc, who is our Football Committe chair, and we've agreed to this for the Margate game, when you play Fulham the night before.

Hope it softens the blow a little for a few of your fans...

Black Cats welcome! - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

9. Pickers

Pickers Member

A fantastic gesture. Not sure if you want to post on here to publicise also as you may get more than you bargained for turning up.

Pure Football

Sunderland Bhoy likes this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

The capacity of Tooting's ground is 4,000....even if pushing for promotion I think we'd be lucky to get half that, so the more the merrier...and hopefully we will benefit from the bucket shaking, even though there's no price on goodwill! ;)

Feel free to share away and spread the word.

11. Pickers

Pickers Member

Looks like someone else has already done so. Hopefully a few turn up and make a healthy contribution.

Dulwich Hamlet

12. Shieldsman

Shieldsman Member

What a fantastic gesture! Many thanks to the committee. A fair few on our messageboard have picked up on this and are planning on coming. It’d be great to meet up with a few of you for a pint or several.

Edit: the last line of your web article has gone down well with the SAFC support. :)
    Dulwich Hamlet

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Sunderland Bhoy and Fingers like this.
  13. Dulwich Mishi

Personally, as someone who doesn't drink anymore, I'll happily treat you a pint, as you put the idea in my head by posting on here. You'll find the Tooting club house is good, cheaper than local pubs and they tend to have decent real ale, if that's your thing...but our fans tend to empty their barrels quite quickly! ;)
    I think, even though we're in crisis ourselves, it's vital we still reach out, and promote our Club this way. Granted, we might lose a few quid from those who might have come along and chosen our game, but...I think the numbers of 'freebies' will outweigh that, and we'll re-coup 'our losses' through the "12th Man" buckets &/or '50/50' ticket sales. But in reality we're not losing anything, because if people weren't coming before this offer we're losing, erm, nothing of nothing!
    This way we're promoting our Club, doing the right thing, and garnering goodwill. What's not to like?

14. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Sunderland! Sunderland!
    We're the famous Dulwich Hamlet and we look like Sunderland!

Really looking forward to the additional buzz for this game.

Sunderland Bhoy likes this.
  15. glen

glen New Member

3 of us coming from Manchester, bought our bargain train tickets for Fulham early. Pissed off with our fixture change but really looking forward to this one now.

I live in stockport and went to see macclesfield vs dulwich in the fa trophy last season

16. tunstallhill

tunstallhill Active Member

sounds like it could be a cracking day out this, i wasn't even going to go to the fulham match, but quite fancy this. i came to a dulwich match a few years ago and loved it, i'm sure that the sunderland and dulwich fans will get on swimmingly. could be in the same league in a few years. i sometimes wear my dulwich scarf around sunderland and my lass still has her 12th man badge on one of her coats.

you lot might get a surprise at how many turn up. hope the bar is well stocked.

17. tunstallhill

tunstallhill Active Member

not too dissimilar

[​IMG]

18. Dulwich Mishi

Great night...apart from the result!
    Was gutted when Macc lost in the final at Wembley. ;)

glen likes this.
  19. Dulwich Mishi

That Sunderland away shirt was EXACTLY what the expression 'Sexy Football' was invented for!

Fingers and Shieldsman like this.
  20. Pink Panther

Well, it's Adidas, our new friends since they gave Meadow two fingers over the photoshoot at Champion Hill. Perhaps they can supply next season's kit!

21. Dulwich Mishi

They could...if we weren't in a contractual deal with our current suppliers, which is fair enough. I like the current kits, to be fair.

22. Ian Curry

Ian Curry Dougal

Hi everyone - another Mackem here, but London based, so I'll be at Fulham! Having heard about your plight on the local news and thinking what your club are doing for the travelling faithful I've decided a trip to Tooting is the best option for a free Saturday! So with gate money, a donation into the bucket and some raffle tickets I'll even throw in a few "Ha'way Dulwich man"s and join in the odd sing song too. Just depends on the number of pre match pints I have.

Just like to say, your clubs gesture to our fans is brilliant and I'm looking forward to a good day out and just for a change, three points! All the best

23. Shieldsman

Shieldsman Member

Mine hasn’t had much wear this season - i’ll stick it on especially for the occasion. :)

24. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Playing Margate will be just like playing Maidstone !!!

25. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Wingate gone ahead at Ricay :D

26. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Last minute equaliser

27. Pink Panther

I doubt they'll bring 1,000 supporters, and hopefully we'll be the ones playing to win the league.

28. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

I mean Margate have Mills, Flisher, Bodkin, Swift, Collin, May, Rogers & Evans.

B.I.G likes this.
  29. Shieldsman

Shieldsman Member

Great result yesterday and for others at the top. :)

30. Pink Panther

Ah, I see now. And Steve Watt as manager, who also played in that Maidstone side. I don't think it ever really works when people try to replicate a successful team by taking players on mass to another club.