1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Grays Athletic - Monday 17th April 2017, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by AveryDave, Apr 15, 2017.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Didn't make the match as I was in Scotland, but what a disappointing result. Really frustrating thing is that 0-0 would probably have been enough to make 3rd place ours. Next week suddenly becomes absolutely massive now. Hope we take a big crowd. I have faith in this team to get what we need to secure third place and set up a home play-off.

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Biggest flaw in the whole squad for me is the lack of a direct alternative for Beaney & Kargbo. We've lost just four of our last 24 matches in all competitions, and the only defeat they both played was at Havant, away to the side top of the league with one match remaining. Carew was dreadful in Beaney's usual role yesterday - took far too much time on the ball - the deeper he sits, and the less the opposition press him, the more he faffs around, putting his foot on the ball and looking for a hollywood pass to the opposite side of the pitch instead of just moving the ball quickly and efficiently to the enarest teammate in space like Beaney does. He's far more effective in the more advanced role he's occupied since the middel fo the season, with less time and space to indulge himself, and with greater chance of being able to make use of his shooting prowess from the edge of the box in open play. Camara looked our most dangerous forward, but he's very raw and really a third forward, rather than providing a link between the forwards and the rest of the team as Carew does at "number 10". Throughout the first half we just seemed to be passing the ball around in the middle third or our own half while Grays defended in depth; whenever it was passed up to Dumaka & Akinyemi they had their back to goal with a marker right up their backside. No urgency, not enough off the ball movement, although that improved after Tomlin and Sekajja came off the bench.

Grays worked hard for their win, they took the game down to the wire at their place, when our second goal in a 2-0 win only came deep into stoppage time, and they deserved their win here. Some of their players are fairly limited, but they've looked a better unit than some other sides I've seen this season. We still created enough decent openings in the second half to have won it though. The goal was a classic sucker punch - poor pass out from the back and a big strong forward showed more determination to win the ball, broke through a couple of flimsy challenges, and set up a teammate for a good finish from inside the box.

Everything that was good about the win at Burgess Hill - efficient without being at our fluent best and still winning 3-0 - was missing yesterday. I really want to finish in thrid place - we haven't achieved that since 1979/80 in the Premier Division. That's worth aiming for regardless of what happens in the play-offs IMO. I'm getting really pissed off hearing some people saying we'd be better off being away in the play-offs. What, like at East Thurrock last year? We now need to win at W&F on Saturday to secure 3rd, which would probably mean a home semi with Enfield Town; a draw will probably leave us with a Thursday night trip to Enfield or a return to W&F, while defeat will probably mean travelling to Bognor or Havant.

Team (3-4-1-2): Edwards - Weatehrstone(c), Drage, Chambers - Ming, Kargbo, Carew, Green - Camara - Dumaka, Akinyemi. Subs: Tomlin (for Dumaka), Sekajja (for Akinyemi), Clunis (for Ming), Taylor, Mascoll (not used).

AveryDave, dcdulwich, Poids and 3 others like this.
  3. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

Bad day at the office. We go again on Thursday and we go again on Saturday. They know what to do and they were hurting yesterday.

It is in our hands.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  4. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

Grays were so limited that we almost had too much of the ball - ergo most of the team dallied around like a Lidl version of Hoddle.
    I think Camara will be a cracking player - but right now leading into the play offs, and starting Saturday, I'd go with the most experienced players.

Beaney may not be the most technically gifted, but he is a born leader who also knows his job inside-out - and was a miss for sure.

5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

???

Kenny Beaney: genuinely two footed, great touch, can trap the ball stone dead and make passes fired to him at awkward heights and angles look perfect, great footballing brain - I reckon you'd struggle to find a more technically gifted player at our level.

AveryDave, AndyF, Cyclodunc and 2 others like this.
  6. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Beaney has always been amongst the most technically gifted players I've seen at this level. All that has held him back from a pro career has been that he isn't the quickest

Pink Panther, AveryDave, 3010 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

OLD SKOOL VOICE OF REASON! WELL SAID!

We could still finish in our highest league position since 1979/80, when we were also third! Which was the highest since being runners up in 1959!

AndyF, scousedom, baleboy_93 and 2 others like this.
  8. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I think he's absolutely vital and also think his game awareness is top notch too.

Pink Panther and AndyF like this.
  9. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

i think if the 'player of the year ' vote had been held after this game , carew and green would have lost all their votes to beaney

the 12th man likes this.
  10. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

I think Green is a top player tbh
    very useful think he could possb play lower league football

Nivag likes this.