Dubai

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Errol's son, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Errol's son

Errol's son Well-Known Member

If you had to spend 48 hours in Dubai what would you do?

I have to do just this an I am wondering what to do... I can go shopping for a bit...

But what else can I do to pass time that ideally doesn't cost a fortune?

Where is cheap to stay?

Where is cheap and good to eat?

Where are the best places to go in the evening?

2. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Go and annoy Swarfega :cool:

weltweit likes this.
  3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Shop, go on that obscene indoor ski field ('Largest In The World'), shop some more...that's about it really...

4. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

You clearly haven't been there before have you? :D

Nothing is cheap. Its a cunt of a place. Hell on earth. I wouldnt bother leaving the airport.

Ive had to work there now and then and absolutely fucking despise everything about it. There isn't a single redeeming quality.

Spymaster and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  5. Errol's son

Is the food no good?

6. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Its entirely European/American. So as good as you'd get in any major western city.

They wiped out the whole local culture and moved em out to the desert, so dont even think about finding local food. The McArabia (i kid u not) in Mcd's aint bad tho.

Bear in mind this is a place that actually knocked down the old town and rebuilt it (or still seem to be rebuilding it) to make it look more authentic.

7. Errol's son

Fortunately I am only going for 48 hours; enough time to see the building work going on then it'll be time to leave.

Glad I decided to only go for 48 hours.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The old town's OK for a wander round, there's some nice beaches around, amd dune-bashing in the desert isn't a bad way to spend a day, but broadly speaking I agree with gabi, Dubai's a dump and 48 hours there should be ample.

Not sure about any cheap places to stay but for cheap eats you ought to be able to get some decent shawarma or something from a street stall.

9. Errol's son

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I have to go there next week. Arrive 7am Tuesday and leaving 11pm Friday night :hmm: it is a work trip (would not have gone by choice) and staying at the ibis Dubai World Trade Centre Hotel apparently.

Feel like I should go and look around...

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

egypt.mcarabia.meal.jpg

Interesting :D

12. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

If you've got time off while you're there could be worth renting a car and driving out to the mountains or somewhere - never been but Hatta doesn't look bad.

hatta.png

keybored, Spymaster and Badgers like this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

14. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

There really isn't a whole lot of interest in Dubai unless you're into lying on man made beaches, expensive hotels and Russian hookers. You could do a day trip to Abu Dhabi, which is marginally less shit, or go quad biking in the desert (which was fun, tbf). Otherwise, I'd suggest that a man of your calibre takes full advantage of the restaurant scene, which is world class.

marty21, Badgers and Yossarian like this.
  15. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The Russkayas are thin on the ground now compared the glory days of the late 90s/early noughties. Chinese/African duopoly now.

The gilded age was over when The Cyclone closed down.

Spymaster likes this.
  16. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Back to the mug-shot

17. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Stay in the hotel and wank yourself silly. I can't think of any major city I'd like to visit less.

marty21, Yossarian and Badgers like this.
  18. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Every single one of those breakfasts looks absolutely disgusting.

marty21, neonwilderness and Badgers like this.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Last time I was there Cyclone had long gone and the knocking shop du jour was the basement of the Hyatt Regency in Deira which was so huge it was itself a tourist attraction. It was/is (?) the entire footprint of the hotel which is about the size of a football pitch. I stayed there a few times and on checking in, the receptionist briefs you on the costs of taking someone up to your room. I looked surprised the first time and he just said "you never know; you might get lucky".

Badgers likes this.
  20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I don't know, some are ok, but they seem to have something against sausages and fuck knows what they did to those fried eggs in the top picture.

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

This is a photo from a hotel breakfast review on TripAdvisor

IMG_20190309_122813.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

This is my usual MO when travelling on business tbh. Usually with a few bottles of small wine and a takeaway.

23. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

Become Urban roving reporter and give us a lowdown on the realities of Dubai life.

I'd really like to know how the people of the UAE feel about the changes that have happened around them. For example, how the Arab Spring impacted on their lives. Or find out how the expatriate workers in your hotel got their jobs and the benefits it's brought them.

One piece of advice, people in the Gulf are football crazy, do get yourself a Qatari football shirt to wear. The UAE authorities are really proud of the fact that one of their near neighbours is bringing the World Cup to the region.

Bahnhof Strasse and Badgers like this.
  24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:D

On a serious note I was planning to take some nurofen plus (ibuprofen and codeine) with me :hmm: is that going to land me in jail or something?

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Should be fine but if you take cocaine make sure you declare it on arrival.

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

FFS you look are determined to see me locked up :D

27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:hmm:

Entry requirements - United Arab Emirates travel advice

Pickman's model likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag member

I thought the standard entertainment in Dubai was watching a public execution. I guess they are normally on a Friday in a public square.

Badgers likes this.
  29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That’s Iran and Saudi.

Badgers likes this.
  30. hash tag

hash tag member

So when and where in Dubai?

Badgers likes this.