Drones - discussion, reviews and more

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Mar 22, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It looks like drones aren't going to go away, so maybe a thread is needed for the latest updates. Has anyone here got one? I quite like the idea for photography, but it seems you've got to pay a fair few quid to get anything decent.

Anyway, to start things off, here's a video of a DJI Phantom 4 being tested, and crashed.

2. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

When you say "reviews", will reviews include their explosive carrying capabilities? Or will there be some type of overall terrorist-friendly score?

J Ed and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Amazingly, quite a lot of people will be using them for quite innocent activities, like creating breathtaking video footage. Others may want to talk about the technology developments or different uses for them, but if you just want to go on and on about their terrorist potential, feel free.

bimble and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

sadly hellfire missiles not available down the high street :(

a_chap likes this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

You can buy a massive selection of cheap and not so cheap ones on GearBest.

I quite fancy a small outdoor one when I've the spare pennies to learn how to fly one.

editor likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

waiting for predators to find their way into the world of army surplus

CNT36 and a_chap like this.
  7. UnderAnOpenSky

You'd need a big garden.

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. UnderAnOpenSky

I want one of these. Although no direct control could be scary.

[​IMG]

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

10. a_chap

Yawn. Piss poor fake :(

editor likes this.
  11. fizzerbird

fizzerbird Craving Synergy

Will I have to get a helmet? I mean if loads of people decide they want to fly the fekker's for whatever reason, are we at risk of a collision?:confused:

I hope I don't see one if I'm fucked on shrooms or acid! :eek:

12. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Last week, my boss finally agreed that we need a drone - and knowing him, it will be a good one, capable of lugging the best cameras money can buy.

Guess who will be breaking the habit of a lifetime and sticking his hand-up to volunteer for training. :D

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  13. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I got a cheap(ish) one for werv last xmas, it didn't last very long (about two weeks) but it was a lot of fun while it did. I now want to spend a reasonable amount of a FPV one and see how many more impressive crashes we can have.

I also found these, which look like masses of fun, unfortunately they aren't available here yet and I don't have the skills to diy it.

14. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

15. Gromit

a_chap likes this.
  16. dervish

I can sort of see the point of having a no fly zone about a very heavily pedestrianised area with hundreds of children running about, a quadcopter prop can REALLY hurt if it hits you, not to mention the impact if the quad falls on your head. I think the ban was more because the whole area was quite definitely out of bounds and the drone op completely circumvented it.

I can also see the point of them wanting to fly their own, professionally flown and insured drones as the footage could be pretty amazing.

dylanredefined likes this.
  17. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

18. a_chap

It'll teach the little bastards not to go to Disney then :p

19. Gromit

They don't want it for aerial footage.

They want a fleet of 50 drones to flight at night, during a firework display with light packs attached. A drone flying lights display.

They may start out with proper pilots. How long till they switch to some random parks employee who has had a 30 min safety brief from the guy who runs the hot dog stands.

Drones, at night, in proximity to aerial explosives. What could go wrong?

dylanredefined likes this.
  20. UnderAnOpenSky

Get rid of the pilot would be the logical step.

21. Gromit

Well they'll be automated with 2-4 employees monitoring. In theory they are still the pilot.

22. 2hats

2hats

Convert a paper airplane into a drone (of sorts) operated via bluetooth phone/tablet - the PowerUp 3.0:

Next up - the PowerUp FPV - fly via a VR headset (eg cardboard stylee):

ddraig likes this.
  23. dervish

Those are cool, I want one.

24. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

salem likes this.
  25. mod

mod A modernist

Agree that they are fantastic for photography and filming but also can't help but worry what these will eventually be used for. Seen this a few years ago and it still makes me shudder.

26. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Got to play with an expensive one , kind of confirmed ground crew is where I belong :(

27. dervish

I've had my eye on one of these for a while. They used to be over £200. Now down to about £150.

28. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

This ones the future!

farmerbarleymow and editor like this.
  29. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

yesterday on the news it said they were being used to drop contraband into pentonville jail- drugs, mobbies that sort of touch. I lolled.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Drone surfing!

ddraig and ffsear like this.