Driving Standards

Discussion in 'transport' started by hash tag, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

The 7.5t limit was increased recently.

After I posted my reply I took a look at the previous thread, and saw the answer as 40 rather than 50, and thought that's wrong, until I spotted that thread was from 2013, and so was correct at the time.

BigTom and mauvais like this.
  2. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Didn’t know it had changed for HGVs, I know it used to frustrate drivers being stuck behind big wagons that obeyed the rule (the big delivery ones for supermarkets are quite strict about it, independent companies less so). I Remember reading about the mainly single carriageway road down to Stranraer from Glasgow and how that had a shocking casualty rate due to the unfortunate combination of many slow wagons heading for the port and impatient drivers worried they’d be late for the ferry they were booked on.

3. hash tag

hash tag never too old

From the first of Bahnhof Strasse two pictures we can see a green light poking out to the left of the picture. Also, if we look closely we can see the railings coming to an end,
    before the ped crossing. When I did road safety campaigning many years ago, I advocated for doing away with things like railings as they give the motorist that pedestrians are
    safley kept out of the way and it is safe to be reckless. They give the impression that it is like being on a motorway or race track. Remove the things which separate the two and
    you put doubt in the motorists mind which in most instances help to temper their driving. From memory, I don't think there are nearly so many barriers like this in Amsterdam,
    Copenhagen or Vienna. Copenhagen to some extent and always in Vienna everyone always abides by the red and green lights without fail, regardless of whats around.
    That I doubt the green light or gap in railings would have been visible to the BMW driver.
    On an advanced motorists course you are shown (not taught necessarily) this and much more. Doing a commentary, people are encouraged to state not that a pedestrian crossing
    can be seen in the distance but what type of crossing it is. :eek::thumbs:

4. Poi E

Poi E shameless

The galvanised barriers are a ghastly blight on Britain. Oddly reflective of the way the class society funnels people.

5. Dogsauce

The high street where I lived until recently had them to pen in pedestrians and stop you crossing where you wanted to, despite not being a particularly busy road. They got a load of heritage lottery money to redo the paving and street furniture a few years back but as a condition of the grant they weren’t allowed to do anything other than replace like with like, so we have nice black painted heritage railings now. Councillors would have liked to get rid of them and make some of the side roads easier to cross (they have wide radii which allows drivers to take them at speed) but hands were tied and grateful to get any money. Kind of not-joined-up bollocks that boils my piss a bit.

6. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Too many signs as well as general furniture all over the place. Do we need signs saying police ANPR is operating in this area?

7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Bit like the CCTV signs. Human rights innit.

8. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse In the AreA

Triple death crash drink-driver jailed

Drinking beer and gin, smoking cannabis, described as grossly intoxicated, kills three people, a brother and sister and her fiancé.

Eight years and four months, will spend just over a year inside for each life he took.

ffs

9. hash tag

hash tag never too old

10. hash tag

hash tag never too old

11. Bahnhof Strasse

hash tag likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Sorry, just too full of rage.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag never too old

14. Bahnhof Strasse

15. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I think she was from Girls Aloud, but might have been a different pop band, married Jamie Redknapp, erstwhile Liverpool FC and England midfielder iirc. No idea why i know this as i don't like football or pop music so i could be wrong but I'm also confident in my knowledge.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Eternal .

BigTom likes this.
  17. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

This is the second day in a row someone's blasted past me on a zebra crossing and waved thanks as they did do.

Did I miss a memo :hmm:

18. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Car overtaking a car or your a pedestrian crossing?

19. Bahnhof Strasse

If it were an Audi there would be no wave of thanks.

Dogsauce and Poi E like this.
  20. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Pedestrian crossing, actually had my foot on the line today but was keeping an eye on the cab that had seemingly no intention of slowing down.

Yesterday there were 4 cars and the end one waved at me, bless her.

21. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Well, there might be a wave, of sorts of maybe not a proper Audi driver.

22. hash tag

hash tag never too old

cupid_stunt and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  23. Bahnhof Strasse

Wouldn't have happened if he'd driven a Land Rover. That would have broken down long before it got near the coast.

T & P, Dogsauce, Almor and 2 others like this.
  24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Yeah, like Solihull.

Poi E and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  25. Dogsauce

Earlier this week I watched a six wheeled dumper truck get stuck on the sand here after attempting a three point turn. Tide was up to the axles before it got out with the aid of a large tracked excavator which stuck it’s bucket in the tipper part to drag it up the beach. The old Wurzels song ‘Thee’s got’n where thee cassn’t back’n hassn’t’ was running through my brain :)

Poi E likes this.
  26. Bahnhof Strasse

20mph zone fatal crash driver jailed

Almost double the speed limit, knocks down a pedestrian and kills her, doesn't stop, or even hand himself in later.

18 months for careless driving.

27. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I'm sorry someone has died, especially in these circumstances. There's a big lesson for many people here. Ignore your children, they could be worse than using a mobile.
    BBC News - Spider dropped on driver before crash which killed boy, 11
    Spider fell on driver before fatal crash