1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving Standards

Discussion in 'transport' started by hash tag, Mar 11, 2014.

1. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

It's potentially several offences.

A car with bits that can drop off (ie snow) will represent an offence under the Construction and Use regulations; a car whose lights are not fully visible will be an offence under the Vehicle Lighting regulations, and a car whose numberplate(s) or tax disc (not relevant any more) are not visible will be an offence under the Vehicle Excise and Registration regulations.

ETA: oh, and as Bahnhof Strasse's post points out, a really extreme case could be careless (or, I imagine, reckless) driving, too.

2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Try driving downa motorway like I did yesterday. The cars visibility is obscured and having great chunks of snow flying at you whilst driving at speed is potentially dangerous.

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

4. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Still ironing out the self-park.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  5. As I keep saying, Mercedes is trying very hard to steal Audi's crown.

6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

BMW now.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  7. Old school wankery :cool:

Poi E and Spymaster like this.
  8. Poi E

Mercedes have finally re-discovered panel fit for their new cars.

9. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

They are mainly a finance company that makes a few ugly cars on the side now.

dessiato, A380 and Poi E like this.
  10. Poi E

They never really got how to build small/medium cars.

11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Pedestrians here on their way to work have started walking in the road because the pavements are too icy, being uncleared. But the thing is, they are walking at 7am, in the dark, wearing black!

dessiato and A380 like this.
  12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

'Disrespectful' driver overtakes hearse

I must say I once found myself in the middle of a funeral convoy. I was joining a main road on my scooter from a side street and saw a gap in the traffic so I joined in. Only then I realised I was in the middle of a six-to-eight-car funeral convoy. Was stuck in it for a good half mile as well, before I decided to cut my losses and overtake the convoy when everyone stopped at a traffic lights. Felt like a right dick though :D

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  13. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I hope you gave the horn a bit of welly as you zoomed off :thumbs:

T & P likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

When I was looking after a sheltered housing scheme, we had a hearse and a couple of funeral cars loading up outside the scheme, there were drivers hooting as they could not get passed :facepalm:
    This was South London, the undertakers were running late and crematorium slots are time sensitive. Chatting to the undertakers about this, they said they would make up time on the way there, ducking and diving through the back doubles etc. What about the speed humps? It's ok they replied, the coffin is well screwed down :D

marty21, dessiato and cupid_stunt like this.
  15. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

I was at my goddaughter's when her weeks old baby stopped breathing. We dialled 999 and an ambulance arrived with lights and sirens. They stopped outside the house and thus blocked the road. The number of drivers sounding their horns, swearing, and demanding they move was shocking, especially as some had followed it, and others moved over if it needed to pass. To this day I cannot understand how, having seen the full blues etc. people couldn't understand the situation.

muscovyduck, a_chap and cupid_stunt like this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Yup, been there done that one with las also :facepalm:

A380 likes this.
  17. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

A couple of miles down the road tonight:

FB_IMG_1513891287605.jpg

The mind boggles.

(not my photo, stole it off Facebook)

mojo pixy and A380 like this.
  18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Wow. That’s quite an effort :thumbs:

How the fuck did the driver manage to mount the car up a wall backwards? :D

19. mauvais

It transpires that it was the result of a police chase involving a stolen car. Fortunately noone was seriously injured.

The car on the right with people stood around is the stolen car, a Saab 9-3. The other two, the Mazda and the Audi up the wall, were merely parked. Still can't quite fathom the physics of it.

SpookyFrank and cupid_stunt like this.
  20. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

All you needed to say really...

21. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

The audi was parked, even if audi drivers do deserve their reputation, it's really a bit much to blame them when they're not even in the car.

dessiato and A380 like this.
  22. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

If it was an Audi I bet it was parked in a disabled parking spot which itself was in a cycle lane. On school zig zags..

SpookyFrank and Dogsauce like this.
  23. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Clearly parked with the handbrake off *shakes head judgementally*

marty21, A380 and gentlegreen like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Is it the Audi facing the camera, if so it is parked facing the wrong way/wrong side of the road at night at well. Clearly to blame for the accident.

A380 likes this.
  25. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

The Audi was easily levered up onto the wall because the front end was raised by the squashed basket of kittens it was parked on.

existentialist, dessiato and A380 like this.
  26. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Your post has reminded me of the issue of parking 'on the wrong side' of the road, which I had meant to raise in here but kept forgetting. Does the Highway Code actually forbid this in all circumstances?

27. Handbrakes come on automatically with modern Audis.

Lights turn off by themselves too. Unlike Suzuki Escolops or whatever the fuck I had hired and wouldn’t start this morning. Just cos I’d left the poxy things on all night...

kebabking, SpookyFrank and mojo pixy like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I can't answer directly, but I know it's wrong because of driver pulling out into oncoming traffic and having poor visibility and a;so because of the lights.

29. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

If there's an Audi or BMW involved it is their fault. It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something. It's in Highway Code too.

A380 and SpookyFrank like this.
  30. mauvais

Only at night. The exception is marked spaces.

You're also supposed to leave parking lights on if you park on a road with a limit higher than 30.

a_chap and Poi E like this.