Driving Standards

Discussion in 'transport' started by hash tag, Mar 11, 2014.

1. 2hats

2hats

Ghostery plus ublock origin renders them viewable once more, I find, though sadly will never correct the pisspoor journalism/subediting.

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Cheers. So I downloaded Ghostery then opened BigTom's link again and it highlighted 24 trackers. Do I need to do anything or does it do what's necessary for me.

3. 2hats

2hats

Default settings for both should suffice.

Spymaster likes this.
  4. 2hats

2hats

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I hope she get a suitably lengthy sentence. 3 to 5 years would suffice.

I don't know of any official study but Mythbusters did an experiment which showed that using hands-free was no less of a distraction and just as dangerous as holding the phone to your ear and driving with one hand.

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A quick search says just 3 years....a landmark case though.

8. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic cnut, & all round knob-head.

I am struggling with this one, most modern cars have on-board computers that connect to your mobile for hands-free operation. Is having a hands-free conversation on the phone anymore distracting than a conversation with others in the vehicle?

9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Yes.....see earlier posts. A passenger will have an idea what's happening on the road and will sub consciously warn you of danger in some way, even if it's suddenly just stopping talking. Someone on the end of a phone cannot do this.

10. cupid_stunt

I've yet to be in a car when kids have suddenly just stopped talking to the driver, yet I've been in a car when a driver has told someone on the phone to wait as he's got a tricky situation to deal with.

I would point out I don't have hands-free operation in my vans, and I have no wish to take calls whilst driving.

But, at the end of the day, the fault rests with the driver allowing themselves to be distracted.

Ban hand-free mobile kit, ban kids from cars.

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

When is a hands free not a Hands free?
    Does this mean hands free via the infotainment systems, which can be operated by steering wheel buttons or voice, should also be banned.

I reckon so. But it is unenforceable until there is an accident.

12. Saul Goodman

It is considerably more distracting.
    Pretty much all modern cars have cup holders, but drinking your morning coffee on the way to work isn't safe, despite many people thinking otherwise.
    Sat-navs are probably as bad as, or even worse than phones, unless people are using their phones to update their Facebook status whilst driving, and it's astounding how many people actually do this!

[​IMG]

13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

No way...unbelievable if true.

14. Saul Goodman

I think I made it up :(

15. cupid_stunt

Yeah, my brother has one of these on-board computer screens on the dashboard, which frankly I would find very distracting.

But, OTOH, holding a one-to-one conversation on the hands-free set-up would be less distracting to me than having three screaming kids in the back seat.

16. Saul Goodman

Children shouldn't be allowed in cars

17. cupid_stunt

18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Children really shouldn't be driving cars anyway.

19. Saul Goodman

I reckon they'd do a lot better job than some of the drivers I come across on a daily basis.

20. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

As long as the car is pedal-powered I don't see a problem :D

hash tag and cupid_stunt like this.
  21. cupid_stunt

Well, the problem will be solved in the next few years, driver-less cars, sorted.

fishfinger likes this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Not any time soon it won't be. The idea that fully driverless roads are just around the corner is nonsense. I doubt it will happen in yours or my lifetimes.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  23. Saul Goodman

That's going to create its own set of issues. For example, who's going to be held accountable for traffic offences, the 'driver' or the car?

24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Driverless taxis have already been trialled in Singapore and start next year in Japan....driverless is not far away

cupid_stunt likes this.
  25. 2hats

2hats

Automated vehicles thread over here ->.

26. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

This is one reason why the law does not ban hands-free.

27. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Is there any regulation in this country about ensuring your vehicle is reasonably clear of snow and ice on its entire bodywork? I've seen enough video clips and gifs to be fully aware that a dislodged chunk of snow or ice flying off the roof of the car or truck in front can seriously fuck up your windscreen.

28. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Lumps of snow falling off vehicles are also hazardous for cyclists and other vehicles as they can leave big patches of compressed snow/ice on the road, more than can be quickly dissolved by road salt. Easy to slide/skid on. It was something I'd encounter in Leeds when cars had come into town from snowy settlements on the outskirts, even if there was no snow in the city itself. Something inexperienced riders might not know to look out for.

T & P likes this.
  29. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Yes, for example if you don't clear your roof and or bonnet you can be fined and get points on your licence, I forget exactly what the offence is but it is an offence.

T & P likes this.