Dr Who "series 11" - Jodie, Chibnall, etc

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by danny la rouge, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Anyway, remember a couple of years ago when we were all shitting it that it might be Kris Marshal? phew.

2. With the Troughton choices thing, it's interesting how one of them (the 3rd one?) kinda resembles Peter Davison...

And speaking of Troughton, this is from Tomb of the Cybermen:

VICTORIA: You probably can't remember your family.
    DOCTOR: Oh yes, I can when I want to. And that's the point, really. I have to really want to, to bring them back in front of my eyes. The rest of the time they sleep in my mind, and I forget.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  3. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

It's like a discarded Sarah Jane script. Maybe that is why they have four characters and no Tardis now. Less rewrites.

Wilf likes this.
  4. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Why's the new one the only one forced to smile?

5. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

:eek: Tennant was the best Doctor ever in the history of Doctors! McCoy was the pits.

7. ginger_syn

ginger_syn Insanity laughs under pressure...

See, it depends on your point of view :rolleyes:

8. KeeperofDragons

KeeperofDragons Crazy dragon lady

Enloyed it & am looking forward to how her character develops

9. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

So true with the previous too loud background. I really liked it and have loved Jodie Whittaker since she starred with the great Peter O'Toole in the film Venus.
    Thought this music was great and it just aired in Canada this week on space tv. that has free showing.

PippinTook likes this.
  10. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

You're all getting it wrong. Age and prior experience of other doctors weighs too heavily on views of what the current series is, whether impenetrable Moffat or the latest cheese aimed at a younger audience.

As a middle aged lover of Pertwee and Baker (almost to the point of obsession as a kid/teenager), the current series (and I'm actually talking about since Ecclestone) doesn't deliver the same frisson. And I've come to realise that it *never* will. Whether the doctor is female, trans or whatever, I don't care.

If the scripts are good I'll enjoy it. If they aren't I won't. It's my choice to watch it.

I enjoyed Ecclestone and some of Tennant, but none of it can touch the thrill I had as a 4/5/6/7/8/9 year old watching Tom Baker. That's ok though, because things have moved on and I realise I am not the centre of the universe around which the new show should genuflect.

I was really pleased to see that they cast a woman, because the show can go in any direction it wants. And if it had cast a woman in the seventies I would have watched it with the same wide eyed wonder. It will live and die on the scripts and the audience that chooses to watch it. No single viewer has the right to determine its direction.

The thrill of 70s Doctor Who will never leave me, I'm grateful for that (I posted about this on another thread where I went to the BFT showing of the 50th anniversary episode). And that's enough for me, I'd never expect the show to bend to my will. The only constant is change etc.

Stop getting Dr Who wrong!

Plumdaff, kittyP and S☼I like this.
  11. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

I enjoyed it. I've occasionally dipped into various Dr. Who episodes over the years ever since watching the daleks from behind the sofa in the 60s. This is the first episode I've seen since then that's made me want to watch more.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Guineveretoo likes this.
  12. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Well New Who is never going to be like Old Who in this day and age. Primarily due to the packaging. Serialisation for the sake of it is dead. There are very, very few stories in Old Who that can actually justify the 4-8 episodes they've been stretched out to. And if you stream them back to back, it's really apparent that that's what they're doing - stretching it out. I swear it's agonising. No-one would do that now, barring soap operas.

krtek a houby likes this.
  13. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Yup. Reading the books as a kid and then eventually getting to see some of them, I was struck by just how well the Target books cut out the padding, ropey acting and cheap sets. I still love classic Who but it just so much of its timey wimey.

14. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

the shoehorned in non-cliffhangers. no.

15. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I think the drip-feeding of plot was one of the things that made it so compelling in the olden days. A bit like eating one rasher of bacon a week during the war must have made bacon seem like fried gold.

ebonics and Enviro like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

never got as bad as that, a quarter of a pound a week was as bad as it got
    upload_2018-10-12_12-59-30.png

in the auld days dr who actually had a plot which would last longer than an hour

Mab and Signal 11 like this.
  17. Santino

And could everyone afford that much bacon?

18. Pickman's model

the first whiff of criticism and off those goalposts roll

19. Santino

Apology accepted.

20. Pickman's model

it's traditional to await an apology before accepting it.

21. ginger_syn

ginger_syn Insanity laughs under pressure...

Anyway back to who :) , I rewatched with eldest granddaughter yesterday she enjoyed it but did say it only felt like Dr Who towards the end, she liked the theme and thought jodie is very good as the Doctor, which is a relief as she really liked capaldi. I have to say I found it improved on rewatch, not that i didnt like it first time round but you do get to see little touches you missed before, I noticed that there some lovely little echos of capaldi during the train scenes, I liked the music a bit more than I did first time round all in all I'm very happy with this episode and am looking forward to the rest.

22. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

BOOM.

23. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Somewhat unfairly, I’m going to use your point to illustrate a point.

We talk about Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi, but Whittaker seems to get the less respectful “first name terms” Jodie.

I remember at my stuffy grammar school we were instructed to use surnames for writers of literature, but when we studied Pride and Prejudice we were expected to write “Jane Austen” every time.

But this isn’t even that. Unless this thread is going to be talking about Chris, David, Matt and Peter - like we’re all old friends, can we not do it just to the woman?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    QueenOfGoths, BigTom, kittyP and 2 others like this.
  24. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

I thought maybe that was kind of led by the thread title.
    Every time I read it I wonder who Jodie Chibnall is.

25. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I have to admit, I Googled Jodie Chibnall to find out who she was. :D

26. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Well I didn't go to grammar school, and never considered it a big thing (some of my teachers at my ordinary state modern school were called by their first names by pupils for example, maybe for that reason I don't view it as a matter of "respect" in the same way), and am perfectly happy to refer to any Doctor by the first name of the actor - surnames only can be tricky since there are two Bakers anyway.

27. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

There are two Peters.

Or are there? :hmm:

CNT36 likes this.
  28. Epona

I think Peter D. was underrated, he was Doctor at a difficult time following Tom, and with reduced budget and interest from the Beeb.

29. Epona

And if I was "guilty" of referring to the current Doctor as "Jodie", rather than "Whittaker", it is because yeah I felt that for the first time ever, in DECADES of being a Doctor Who fan, I could relate to this one better, SO FUCKING SORRY, apparently I fucked it up and am a disrespectful misogynist.

30. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Proportionate response?

ginger_syn likes this.