Dr Who "series 11" - Jodie, Chibnall, etc

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by danny la rouge, Oct 11, 2017.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

IMG_2111.JPG

So we need a new thread, right?

Here's the latest rumour that I've heard:

"The BBC1 series will run for 10 weeks rather than the usual 12 or 13, but each programme will last a full hour instead of 45 minutes."​

OK, we'll see how that works out.

"Expect something fresh and brilliant, with more of the stories travelling backwards in time, to interesting historical eras, as well as forwards".​

Now, that I approve of. Cool.

Rumour: Series 11 To Have Fewer but Longer Eps, New TARDIS & Sonic | Doctor Who TV

2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Fans, many of whom are primary school kids, prefer to watch the show in its traditional teatime slot rather in peaktime.

Eh?

The last series, in 2016, aired in the springtime to avoid Strictly altogether.

Eh? Did it not air this year?

Also, must the sonic screwdriver remain? Can't a tereleptil destroy it once more?

Otherwise, cool.

danny la rouge likes this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

earlier airing time is better. Bollocks to primary school kids, halfpast 7 on a saturday and I'm usually impaired

Cloo likes this.
  4. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Hmm. I don't mind a campy, 1066 and all that, historical backdrop as long as there are still aliens and paradoxes involved. The straight histories were binned for a reason.

ebonics likes this.
  5. DotCommunist

Well there will have to be daleks, its in the rules.

High Voltage likes this.
  6. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

I hope we avoid campy in this new series with a new tone of realism tbh - whether that's in historical episodes or alien planets. Anyway I like the idea of hour long episodes, it gives much more time for plot and developing characters (something Chibnall seems generally good at).

7. Silas Loom

Sick of them now. I'm even sick of cybermen, and they were always my absolute favourite.

8. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Yay, more episodes set on historical Earth. We've never had episodes set there.

TopCat likes this.
  9. DotCommunist

no

krtek a houby and Vintage Paw like this.
  10. Silas Loom

The evidence so far, at least from Broadchurch, is that he is capable on characters and abysmal on plot.

11. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

I want the whole series set in a quarry, with the doctor receiving assistance from mustachioed men in olive jumpers

TopCat, innit, Omaplata and 16 others like this.
  12. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

They have to show a Dalek every year in order to retain their rights to use them.

imposs1904 likes this.
  13. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Yes, getting things like when the last series was on is pretty basic.

And the "traditional teatime slot"? That was when classis Who was on, 17:25, I seem to remember? Last time it was on then was in the 80's wasn't it? Xmas Specials excepted.

So which primary school kids have been held back so many times that they can remember the 1980's?

CNT36, SpookyFrank and krtek a houby like this.
  14. Silas Loom

Was it? My recollection is 19:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the fifth/sixth Doctor era.

15. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Yes, changed to those times during the fifth. After 18 years at Saturday teatime.

16. DotCommunist

so its been airing at around 7 for most of its 50 odd years then. Are there objections to a return to teatime airing? Its not like I'm watching for violence or profanity.

17. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

A couple of years with no daleks/cybermen would be very welcome

Yuwipi Woman and ebonics like this.
  18. Silas Loom

No repeat monsters at all, if possible. The diminishing returns from the weepng angels were particularly tawdry.

innit, Cloo and kabbes like this.
  19. krtek a houby

Yup. The best exception to this was the Mondasian Cybermen in the standout ep of the season. Part didn't live up to the promise of the first and I wish when the upgrades appeared they could have been an earlier incarnation; say, Revenge of the Cybermen era.

Silas Loom likes this.
  20. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

21. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Maybe this year we'll finally have the Doctor arriving at Cable Street in 1936 and bashing the fash :D

KeeperofDragons, ebonics and Kaka Tim like this.
  22. krtek a houby

That would be an historical ep that I'd really like to see. Sounds like something that would have ocurred during the 7th Doctor and Ace's stint...

KeeperofDragons likes this.
  23. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I'd quite like the Doctor to meet her Aztec fiancée, Cameca.

24. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

The question is: Will the Daleks be able to grok a female Doctor?

25. DotCommunist

canon would suggest that every regeneration is new to the Daleks until they update their evil network. Remember when Ecclescake met that Dalek in the yankee collectors museum and it didn't know The Doc till he said he was. 'DOCTOR? THE DOCTOR! YOU ARE AN ENEMY OF' etc etc

ViolentPanda likes this.
  26. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Top geeking there.

27. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

I want more Zygons, and for them to be actually scary. Last time they were on they just reminded me of the Curious Oranj from This Morning with Richard not Judy.

Ralph Llama, kabbes and ebonics like this.
  28. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

But what I want more than anything are monsters that don't turn out to be not-evil after all.

innit, kabbes, ebonics and 3 others like this.
  29. DotCommunist

they got away with that on the frozen thames one by giving us the death of a racist aristo.

30. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Props budget init.