Dowsing

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by beesonthewhatnow, Apr 7, 2018.

?

Do you believe dowsing for water works?

1. Yes, I’m an idiot

9.4%
  2. No, because science

90.6%
  1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Carried over from another thread.

It’s bullshit, obviously. Tested more than almost any other woo, it always fails.

Cue “Oh but my uncles mate did it for the council” stories in 3... 2... 1...

fishfinger and gentlegreen like this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Peter Dowsing 4 lyf

Ralph Llama and DaveCinzano like this.
  3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I saw a Time Team the other day when they had to humour the guy who'd called them in for a dig ...

The fake bomb detectors should have put paid to that bollocks.

NoXion likes this.
  4. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins FFS can I just have some peace??

It's fucking bollocks. Like every other kind of woo.

spanglechick and NoXion like this.
  5. Mrs Miggins

And as for stories about when it has apparently worked. Well, people saying things doesn't make something actually true.

6. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I remember the 70s, and have to live with the embarrassment of having been caught up in the ESP / paranormal thing. In my defence I was very young and there were only 3 TV channels ...
    It's possibly even more embarrassing that I didn't finally bury religion and spirituality until my late 20s ...

7. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I've never seen a u75 poll stay at 100%
    Could this be the one

8. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

It sounds like nonsense to me, but after reading 8ball's posts on the other thread, I'm not going to 100% write off the possibility of some non-supernatural ideomotor Ouija board weirdness making it possible that it works in some cases.

9. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

It's failed every time it's been subjected to rigorous scientific testing. It's fucking bollocks. If it worked at all then we'd know by know.

10. Sprocket.

Sprocket. My Father Got the Shipfitter Blues..

And don't get me started on Ley-Lines!

gentlegreen likes this.
  11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I think anyone who claims they can detect water in a buried pipe etc. is probably full of crap, which is why it always fail in scientific tests, sounds like the jury might still be out a little bit on whether people who know the landscape well can subconsciously detect clues to groundwater - at least in some cases.

But it definitely wasn't the case when the British Army tried consulting water diviners in North Africa in WWII:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    spitfire and Mrs Miggins like this.
  12. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama Fuck the system.

Thought I`d put my vote in because my good friend (used to run raves together) is currently running Celtic Mineral Water Company and the spring was dowsed for by his father
    I will now attempt to find some kind of tangible evidence. Wish me luck ... I really hope that I haven`t deluded myself and m8`s family aren't a load of naughty bullshitters.

Enjoy feeling more savey than me. This will be your only chance ;)

13. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Someone put in a FOIA request not so long ago and it was revealed that almost all the UK water companies use divining rods.

UK water firms admit using divining rods to find leaks and pipes

(this shouldn't be taken as an endorsement!)

14. Mrs Miggins

Good luck. And your mate's family I'm sure are not bullshitters as such - they no doubt believe It's true too.

I'm not sure what "savey" means but good luck anyway.

15. Ralph Llama

Thank you :) I will need it. Oh and i meant savvy .

Right- Before hitting the search engine I`m thinking the `magic` is caused the ideomotor effect translating subconscious information that is formed by subtle input of recognition of the lay of the land and some kind of autonomic water finding system in our brains similar to say, the indigenousness tribes inbuilt navigation/compass.
    Ridiculous I know.

16. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Having had recent experience of mining the front garden in the rain to find the position of the main-drain vis a vis that of various trees its reassuring to read that there is no easier method of detection.

mauvais likes this.
  17. Mrs Miggins

You're not helping yourself already with that statement :D

Ralph Llama likes this.
  18. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

It IS bollocks and I see the fallout from this every day. Trust me, for everyone's uncle's mate who found a natural spring, there are plenty of examples of holes being dug erroneously. I see it first hand all the time.

aqua and Mrs Miggins like this.
  19. Ralph Llama

Hey ... i`m out on a limb here :D

Ok surprise, surprise ... this angle is one of the theories already waffled about ( i probably read it in some hippy book when i was a kid)

Does divining actually work?

So i`ll see where this goes.

20. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Finding Water With A Forked Stick May Not Be A Hoax

Interesting article...especially the "in the field success vs lab fails"

UK water firms admit using divining rods to find leaks and pipes

Quite a few water engineers seem to still keep dowsing on ... in their back pocket.

My grandad was someone who kept bees, grew all his own veg..hunted..fished...to stay alive..just someone living in the countryside who grew up in the countryside and lived off if. He was an intelligent person...and not one who suffered fool's or foolishness.
    He was often called on to find water for people. He didn't see it as woo woo voodoo or witch stuff.. He just said that it was to do with energy. That water had a different energy to earth. A void under the ground being different to a rock. A bit like tapping a wall to find a stud....
    Anyway...it was no big deal to him.

So...on foot of personal experience and the fact the water companies still have dowsing....I'm unable to vote..

Darn it.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

I find it astonishing anyone gets so utterly riled by dowsing, should be a poll option for 'I don't give a shit'

22. Ralph Llama

I was thinking that. An aggressive response... but I`m the same anytime somebody tries to tell me the earth is flat, meditating can affect political struggles or state communism is a good idea.

23. Pickman's model

Savey, a tendency to put coins of small denominations in a jar

Ralph Llama and Mrs Miggins like this.
  24. Pickman's model

Out of curiosity did he get paid even if he didn't find water?

PippinTook and gentlegreen like this.
  25. Ralph Llama

Incentive !

PippinTook and gentlegreen like this.
  26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Coincidentally, I have been having a bit of a Time Team binge recently and while cycling to work through a park the other day it struck me that I should have a go at making some geophys kit - and none of this walking around a field all day, it would be an autonomous wheeled vehicle.

27. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

You know all those twats that believe in astrology and wiccan spells and fairies and what not do my bonce in. My ex used to hide her belief in ghosts as "it's just a bit of fun" because she knew I thought it was daft.

Despite all this...

... Dowsing works. I've tried it and it worked.
    Don't ask me how it works. It's crazy bizarre that it works. But it does.

Dowsing rods that is. Dunno if that dowsing twig stuff does. Seems a bit far fetched but then so does the rods.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  28. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

He never accepted any payment.

29. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Totally. What minor irritation I feel on the topic is evenly split between people who believe in dowsing, and people who shout DOUBLE. BLIND. TEST. at them.

Orang Utan and Pickman's model like this.
  30. Pickman's model

Missed a trick there

PippinTook likes this.