Dosas

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maggot, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I love dosas, but have never tried making them. Anyone made them before.

Do you have to use rice flour? I don't have any, and was thinking of using gram flour and wheat flour.

2. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard. You need rice and also urad dal (particular sort of lentil). You have to soak them and let them ferment. Difficult in our climate.

There are some easier non fermented versions but I've never had much success. Your best bet might be to go to an Asian food store and buy a packet mix that you just add water to.

trabuquera and Maggot like this.
  3. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Yep, dosa mix ftw. :D

Maggot likes this.
  4. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

I've never had a dosa... off to search :)

Badgers likes this.
  5. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i've tried but i can't bring myself to like them, they're too soft and bouncy. give me a chapati any day of the week...

6. moose

I love 'em. My local Nepalese restaurant does the most gorgeous ones with very hot mushroom filling, with coconut chutney, tarka dhal and a green chilli and coriander dip. I have fond memories of eating masala dosas with extremely hot chilli sauce at WOMAD with some lovely Urbs, years ago.

ebonics, Voley, UrbaneFox and 2 others like this.
  7. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Thread makes me want a Rava Dosa right NOW dammit :mad:

UrbaneFox and Miss-Shelf like this.
  8. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

From what I have seen I really want to try them!!

Maggot likes this.
  9. Maggot

These were ok, but they were like normal pancakes, and didn't have the crispiness of a dosa.

I will search out some dosa mix.

10. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

I fucking love DOSA :cool:

11. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox Car Cleaning Guru

Sloo

Maggot and Miss-Shelf like this.
  12. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Love Dosas, but not great at making them.
    1.Packet mix attempt - went badly wrong.
    2. Rava dosas (made with semolina) from fresh. OK, but a bit oily, and not the crispiness of the proper rice flour/urad mix dosa.

13. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

14. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Piya's in Arambol used to do an awesome one. Masala Dosa. Tube-shaped, too big for a plate. Sambar with it (is it called that? the red fiery stuff anyhow) and coconut chutney. About 30 rps if memory serves. I'm drooling right here now.

15. moose

So you lot made me go for a dosa last night, and THEY WEREN'T BLOODY DOING THEM!! :eek: because the dosa makers had gone on holiday or something :mad: Had a very nice meal, not the same. :(

16. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

Disappointing

17. Maggot

I did that today and got a packet mix (made by Gits :D).

They also had a ready-made mixture, but it came in a giant sachet type container that looked impossible to store once it was opened, so no good for me.

18. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Please let us know how they turn out - I've been meaning to try the packet mixes for ages since my dosa disasters.

19. Maggot

Tried making them last night, not a great success. The first one was too thick so it didn't get crispy and the second one was too thin so it fell apart. It might be possible to make decent dosas from the mix, but I haven't managed it yet.