Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dosas

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I love dosas, but have never tried making them. Anyone made them before.

Do you have to use rice flour? I don't have any, and was thinking of using gram flour and wheat flour.

lazythursday

It's pretty hard. You need rice and also urad dal (particular sort of lentil). You have to soak them and let them ferment. Difficult in our climate.

There are some easier non fermented versions but I've never had much success. Your best bet might be to go to an Asian food store and buy a packet mix that you just add water to.

wayward bob

i ate all your bees
i've tried but i can't bring myself to like them, they're too soft and bouncy. give me a chapati any day of the week...

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Do you have to use rice flour? I don't have any, and was thinking of using gram flour and wheat flour.
These were ok, but they were like normal pancakes, and didn't have the crispiness of a dosa.

I will search out some dosa mix.

porp

Love Dosas, but not great at making them.
1.Packet mix attempt - went badly wrong.
2. Rava dosas (made with semolina) from fresh. OK, but a bit oily, and not the crispiness of the proper rice flour/urad mix dosa.

Voley

Sign On You Crazy Diamond
Piya's in Arambol used to do an awesome one. Masala Dosa. Tube-shaped, too big for a plate. Sambar with it (is it called that? the red fiery stuff anyhow) and coconut chutney. About 30 rps if memory serves. I'm drooling right here now.

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
There are some easier non fermented versions but I've never had much success. Your best bet might be to go to an Asian food store and buy a packet mix that you just add water to.
I did that today and got a packet mix (made by Gits :D).

They also had a ready-made mixture, but it came in a giant sachet type container that looked impossible to store once it was opened, so no good for me.

lazythursday

I did that today and got a packet mix (made by Gits :D).

They also had a ready-made mixture, but it came in a giant sachet type container that looked impossible to store once it was opened, so no good for me.
Please let us know how they turn out - I've been meaning to try the packet mixes for ages since my dosa disasters.

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Please let us know how they turn out - I've been meaning to try the packet mixes for ages since my dosa disasters.
Tried making them last night, not a great success. The first one was too thick so it didn't get crispy and the second one was too thin so it fell apart. It might be possible to make decent dosas from the mix, but I haven't managed it yet.