Dorking Wanderers

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by liamdhfc, Sep 4, 2017.

1. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Standard well drilled opposition lacking any obvious flair. Plenty of missed opportunities for us as usual. Their shooting was wild on the odd occasion they got sight of goal but that won't be the case against all the 'inferior' teams. And I missed the goal when I was having a piss.

2. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I liked how they continued to try and play from the back even though they was chasing the game.

3. StephenMac

Yep, well-drilled but the playing it about business might undo them in this division, I reckon.

darryl, Noss and Nivag like this.
  4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Aye, pretty football means nothing unless you score goals from it.

darryl and StephenMac like this.
  5. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Now up to 9th but only 3 points behind second place Leiston

On Tuesday if games go to form and Hamlet win against Hendon
    we can go 4th (on goal difference behind Harrow Borough on 14 points)

So simple - need to win Tuesday

6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

We could have humiliated them inside the first quarter hour with the openings we created, but they battled back well and in the end it was just a case of getting over the line after leading for 88 minutes. Lovely goal from a set piece inside 90 seconds. Ferguson flighted an outwinging corner from the right and Hayles ran onto it from the edge of the box to smash a powerful header into the back of the net from 8 yards. A relentless series of assaults on the home defence followed with Ming rampant on the right flank and further corners and crosses into the goalmouth stretching Dorking without anyone quite being able to capitalise. Clunis made a spectacular run from his own half, nicking the ball from an opponent and accelerating away like a sports car leaving old bangers in its wake at traffic lights but with only the keeper to beat from the edge of the box he didn't trust his weak left foot, shaped his body to shoot with his right, and ballooned the ball high and wide. By the end of the half Dorking had turned the game into a bit of a scrap and there was that ominous feeling that we'd come unstuck by overplaying at the back or conceding an unnecessary set piece.

The second half was less one-sided, I think we still created the greater number of chances, but the best two were wasted by Dorking when a forward in space in front of goal twice missed the target by a distance with only Edwards to beat. In fact I don't recall either keeper making a save that you wouldn't expect any bog-standard keeper at this level to manage without too much difficulty. The whole game was rather short on precision and composure in front of goal.

First clean sheet of the season, in fact first game in which either side hasn't scored. Also the first time we've led for any length of time; in our three previous wins we've been behind for at least twice as long as we've been in front, so I guess it's a different kind of challenge to deal with opponents chasing the game and taking a few risks rather than wearing down a side sitting deep and allowing us a lot of time and space in the middle third. And the three injured absentees dont' help of course. Friday's South London Press reported that Tomlin (knee) is likely to be out for three months, Green (shoulder) for two months and Acheampong (hamstring) for up to four weeks.

*Correction: we led for most of the game at Leiston too and blew it in stoppage time, but they're a battle-hardened Premier Division team some distance ahead of where Dorking Wanderers will aspire to be.

Team (3-4-1-2): Edwards - Hayles, Weatherstone, Chambers - Ming, Kargbo, Beaney(c), Shaw - Ferguson - Boakye-Yiadom, Clunis. Subs: Dumaka (for Boakye-Yiadom), Carew (for Hayles), Onovwigun (for Ferguson), Taylor, Faal (not used). att: 331

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Nivag, AveryDave, darryl and 2 others like this.
  7. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

This is potentially season limiting news.

PartisanDulwich and StephenMac like this.
  8. Poids

Poids Active Member

Definitely three huge misses for us. I thought Acheampong looked immense for us in those first few games before his injury. A real leader at the back, kept everyone around him focussed and in position and showed fantastic anticipation and reading of the game. Pleased to hear that he at least will be back relatively soon.

Pink Panther and StephenMac like this.
  9. YTC

YTC Human Man

Tomlin is a real miss for us, but I think he may be back sooner from what he's told me. Fingers crossed the excellent physios can get him back quick!

PartisanDulwich and Pink Panther like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

11. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

We enjoyed Cobbetts after the game, one too many Juiceboxes meant a slightly hungover half marathon the next day, although the Denbies wine compensated a bit.

Pink Panther likes this.
  12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Seems Dorking have banned noise inside the ground?

Anyone from the club fancy enquiring if we will be thrown out for singing?

13. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Shhhhh

pettyboy likes this.
  14. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

Blimey it's half time and Dorking are 3-0 up at Havant. Ahem, Football Web Pages are not to be trusted (its the other way round).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Dorking knew it would be tough. Not that McKimm agreed.

16. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Think you'll find they're 4 down

B.I.G likes this.
  17. StephenMac

Just the 6 (six) in the end.

the 12th man likes this.
  18. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Bit touchy there. It's only the supporters club trying to drum up support to travel, it's not a comment from the club itself. I think most people would regard a midweek away trip to play the championship favourites as an especially tough fixture. If Hemel's next game was at Havant and their supporters suggested it would be their toughest so far would we be offended?

We've also gone up a place in the league table on goal difference tonight!