Dorking Wanderers

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by liamdhfc, Sep 4, 2017.

1. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Have received email from Dorking Wanderers asking about what type of alcohol travelling fans would like in their bar.

They have asked whether there are preferences for Real Ale or Cider amongst those going.

Please help them by replying

bkbk, Jamie Wyatt and B.I.G like this.
  2. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

3. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Tell them to nip round the corner to Denbies vineyard and visit the Surrey Hills brewery. One of the best breweries in this neck of the woods.

My local put on Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale for my birthday a couple of years ago. It's been on ever since and is now the best selling ale in the pub.

Sadly I'm up north so won't be at the game.

4. YTC

YTC Human Man

#pints

5. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Dorking Brewery is decent too

Any travelling fans going can recommend going to Cobbets in West street and getting yourself a takeout in a milk container from their micro pub.

Not cheap though but great shop

Take a look at Cobbetts Beer Board (@BeerBlackBoard): Cobbetts Beer Board (@BeerBlackBoard) on Twitter

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  6. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

7. toby kempton

They've got a nice museum near the high street

8. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Dull travel question: Better to go to Box Hill and Westhumble station or Dorking? I don't have Pink 'n Blues on the Booze to hand.

9. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Absolute legends. Not bothered but that's top hospitality.

10. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Where is the game?

11. StephenMac

Not at their new ground.

12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

But is it at their old one? No one knows :(

13. StephenMac

Yeah, it is. New one opens in November.

14. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Billericay will be their first game at the new ground.

15. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

I've lost my Pink n Blues on the Booze, sorry

According to googlemaps the ground is a 12 min walk from Boxhill & Westhumble, or 17 mins from Dorking station. The town is quite a walk from the ground.

From Boxhill station, there's a pub called The Stepping Stones en route which looks okay

At Dorking station is The Lincoln Arms which seems okay too.

Dorking town centre has plenty of pubs, I think Paul highlighted a couple of decent ones in his sheet. There is a very handy TfL bus, the 465, which goes from Dorking town centre to the ground past Dorking station, these are around every half hour on a Saturday afternoon.

Pink Panther and WillClunas like this.
  16. StephenMac

Someone who you probably follow on Twitter tweeted '... on the Booze' to somebody else you probably follow earlier (No real names to be used on here, or something).

Think i'll probably go for Dorking. That Box Hill pub lost me at 'hand-carved ham...'.

17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Sorry. Lost you at hand carved ham????

18. StephenMac

Yeah, I don't have strong views about who or what carves my ham. In short, the place looks a little poncey. You should definitely go there.

Pink Panther likes this.
  19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Went in there before.

20. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

I'm fairly likely to come to this one as it's doable, but looking at Google Maps the travelling to the ground looks fairly confusing. Do most people anticipate going into Dorking town centre beforehand?

An added complication is that I got a new phone in April and lost loads of numbers of people on here, including reliable awayday go-tos like pompeydunc, Champion_hill, StephenMac and others. If anyone who's going wants to DM me their number that'd be a great help. Might convince me to actually get it together to get on a train on Saturday morning rather than sitting in a cafe for hours and then fucking it off, like I did a couple of weeks ago.

ForwardHamlet likes this.
  21. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Found it thanks. Reading it on a mobile gave me a bastard headache, I think I'll aim for the Lincoln for a couple then stroll up to their clubhouse

darryl and StephenMac like this.
  22. StephenMac

Done. Reckon the town centre will be the more popular option.

ForwardHamlet and Joe K like this.
  23. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Can't go this weekend, so I went a few weeks to tick it off, because I am a groundhopper and proud of it.

Going to Boxhill & Westhumble station is the easiest option. The pub near there didn't look poncey one bit. Looked good when I peered in (but didn't go in).

I did mention to one of their volunteers that we are a thirsty bunch and many like their real ale. I said we would take 100 (maybe 150). Their bar doubles up as food outlet, so hopefully this news prompted them to put extra on.

The ground is in a lovely setting at the foot of Box Hill, so definitely worth making most of time there. Facilities are definitely lower key than usual premier division grounds, hence their upcoming move.

I did a one hour roundtrip walk before game that I would highly recommend if you are so inclined...

Out of station and walk towards main road, under subway, turn left, over bridge, take right at roundabout, then right onto footpath up to Box Hill shortly after Mercure hotel, climb up and up, look right an you'll see the ground in valley, keep walking, crack open a can on top of hill, then come back down following signs to "the stepping stones", down, down, over the stepping stones that cross the river, through car park, cross road main road and ground is right in front of you...

Enjoy...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Jules P, dcdulwich, Noss and 5 others like this.
  24. toby kempton

Ive been twice before and used dorking where youve got more choice of train. Imo believe there clubhouse is th smallest in the league.

25. StephenMac

Fun fact: The Hastings keeper from Saturday has signed for Dorking, so we'll be facing him in consecutive games.

26. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

He was quite a good sport last week.

27. Kerriesfriend

Kerriesfriend New Member

Anyone else reckon their badge looks like a chicken shop logo?

[​IMG]

Quick poll:

Who's going via Dorking?

How many people going via Boxhill and
    Westhumble?

I'm just concerned how long it'll take for me travel only to get lost. Cheers! :)

28. Kerriesfriend

Kerriesfriend New Member

And apparently I don't know how to link a picture to a post. D'oh!

Noss likes this.
  29. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

FWIW I'm getting the 12:08 from Wimbledon to Dorking, arrives 12:41

30. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Ranmore is an awesome beer. The Running Horse at Leatherhead shifted three casks of it between 2pm and 6pm or our visit last season, and that was with most of the people drinking it disappearing for two hours to watch a football match.

There's only one train an hour serving Box Hill, which goes from Victoria via Clapham Junction then fast to Sutton. They arrive at 21 past the hour, which is convenient enough, and depart at 28 past the hour. So a resonable opeion for anyone just wanting to go straight to the game and back home again without doing anything else.