Dorking Wanderers v Hamlet - Saturday 31 August, National South, 3pm k.o.

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

A relatively local and easy to reach away game, at a different ground to the last time we visited the same club two years ago. This time we play them at the old Dorking FC ground, Meadowbank at Mill Lane, in the town centre just a short walk from Dorking and Dorking Deepdene stations.

There are direct train services to Dorking Main station from Victoria and Waterloo, all of which call at Clapham Junction. Alternatively you can travel from London Bridge via East Croydon, changing at Redhill for Dorking Deepdene station. Dorking West is even closer to the ground but very few trains stop there. Check National Rail Enquiries for specific journey times.

scousedom and Poids like this.
  2. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

The trains from Waterloo will only run as far as Epsom on Saturday due to industrial action. It will be scabs working these trains!

3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Where do the Southern ones go from?

4. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Victoria, Clapham Junction, Carshalton, Sutton and you can take the South Western services and change at Epsom for connecting trains to Dorking .

B.I.G likes this.
  5. JTee

JTee Active Member

Has anyone gone up to Surrey Hills Brewery before? Looks about 15min walk from Dorking station.

They just won camra beer of the year so must be good for a pre match pint

6. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Excellent brewery, the one that won, Shere Drop, isn't the best one they do in my opinion. (Greensand IPA and Ranmore for me.)

The brewery is at the back of the Denbie's Wine Estate shop. I haven't been there for a few years, my local pub sells Surrey Hills beer, but they used to have a few chairs set up and sell direct. It was a basic set up but worth it for the excellent beers.

JTee, Pink Panther and scousedom like this.
  7. JTee

JTee Active Member

Brilliant. Nothing wrong with a basic set up...

Pre-match entertainment sorted followed by a stroll through some fields to the ground it looks like

8. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Cobbett’s beer shop / micropub is nice

pompeydunc likes this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Fields you say... perfectly safe they said.

10. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Cobbett's is quite often very busy on a Saturday even without a reasonable away support in town. It might be worth having a back up plan if you head for there. Anyone who struggles to stand for a long period should be aware that it has very few seats.

The pub by Dorking station, Lincoln Arms from memory, has been decent enough on my last two visits. The last visit was six months or so ago.

Anyone fancying a blast from the past, there's a direct bus from Dorking to outside the Running Horse at Leatherhead.

pompeydunc likes this.
  11. Pink Panther

The brewery isn't very clearly signposted at Denbies won't let them erect clear signage on the main road. Basically you come off teh main road from the station where you see Denbies Wine Lodge signposted (it's a slip road on the left next to a roundabout) then follow the signs to Denbies and walk clockwise around the edge of their building until you find the brewery around the back. The beers are superb and well worth the visit.

Looking at the map it seems you can use footpaths to get to Ashcombe Road behind the ground, then there's another footpath leading directly to the ground and on towards the town centre which I've used before. Anyone going directly to the ground from the stations should turn right into London Road then use the footpath on the corner (where London Road bends back towards the High Street) which leads directly to the ground alongside the riverbank.

These fields are filled with vines, not cows like the one at Sudbury.

JTee and B.I.G like this.
  12. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Some pre-match thoughts from Marc White the Dorking manager.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Good hat :facepalm:

Plus ear tugging. Obviously a truth teller :oldthumbsup:

14. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I believe he prefers to keep his hair transplant covered

B.I.G likes this.
  15. Pink Panther

There's not much point having a hair transplant if you're not going to flaunt it. What a waste of money!

WillClunas and B.I.G like this.
  16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Chalky White.

17. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Google maps should be able to route on the footpaths.
    Screenshot_20190831-081719.png

pompeydunc and Pink Panther like this.
  18. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Well, that was...

19. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

The cheeseburger was quite nice.

StephenMac likes this.
  20. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

We haven't half overcomplicated things in the last 3 halves of football. I guess it'd help somewhat if our players could stop getting injured.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  21. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Christ on a bike, that was complete shit.

Noss likes this.
  22. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

It didn't surprise me the players wanted to stay on the pitch way Gavin walked off at the end. Not seen him scream and shout from the touchline like that for a while!

23. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

only positive was we didn't concede
    need to win games like this to be anywhere near the play offs
    need a rapid response Tuesday night

Pink Panther likes this.
  24. Pink Panther

I thought we were a bit fortunate to come away from there with a point as we barely stretched their keeper all afternoon. Dorking certainly had the greater number of shots on target in a match that offered little to get excited about.

Hamlet were hit by an epidemic of glandular fever that claimed Taylor and Mills, presumably Monlouis too, and left us naming two academy players to make up the numbers on the bench. To make matters worse Allassani limped off near the end with what looked like a foot/ankle injury and we ended the match with Smith playing at centre forward. Not great with another match coming up at home to Maidstone on Tuesday!

Team (4-2-3-1): Maynard-Brewer - Ambroisine, Orlu, Smith, Barnes - Ijaha (c), Chapman - Clunis, Vose, White - Allassani.
    Subs: Monakana (for White), Connors (for Vose), Case (for Allassani), Morris, Splatt (not used).

25. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

A lot of players out of action today thanks to glandular fever - why on earth they were in Dorking and not resting at home is beyond me - but that was dreadful. I still think the starting line up should have been strong enough to beat a side that's been in free fall since their first three wins. It took us until Nyren's deflected shot midway through the second half to force a save from their second choice keeper.

Dorking created the better chances and Ashley came to our rescue for the umpteenth time this season. That said, I thought our very makeshift backline did pretty well, bearing in mind we had a right back at left back, a centre mid at centre half, and in the second half, a centre half at right back.

The same can't be said for the midfield. Chapman hasn't impressed me since the season started and today I thought he looked completely ineffective and had no influence on the game. Vose, for me, was just as poor (sorry Vose's Dad). We had a front two of Allassani and White today, so long balls were going to be utterly useless - we needed the midfield to pull the strings and get the ball beyond the Dorking backline so we could use our obvious pace advantage. We didn't and the result was one of the blandest, most uninspiring games of football I've seen for a while.

I think Allassani is one of the best players I've ever seen at Dulwich and I'm amazed he hasn't been given a chance at Coventry, but to say we gave him scraps today is an understatement. White put in a great shift and caused problems with his speed and quick feet. He's yet to come to the boil, but I think there's a good player in there once he settles and grows in confidence.

I don't like slagging off the ref - it's a tough job and I wouldn't want to do it - but today's was awful. The peak of his ineptitude came when Allassani was brutally whiped out from behind in the second half: no free kick was given and minutes later Allassani limped off injured. Smith finished the game as our centre forward.

We've got a lot of work to do before Tuesday and we desperately need some players to return to fitness.

StephenMac and Nivag like this.
  26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Their keeper made 2 good saves from what I can remember, can't remember who took the shot though.
    Was just happy we didn't conced any goals.
    Which is odd as we started ok with some nice runs putting their defenders on their arse a few times. Shame it fizzled out with some poor attempts of shots.

27. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Ollie's photos

Jules P likes this.
  28. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

That photo sums up a big issue me. Pitch was drowning in those shitty plastic pebbles. I know they come with the territory but today there seemed to be far more of them than usual on such a pitch. Result: absolutely turgid play. At times the ball just died. Reminded me of the waterlogged 20minute game that never should have been at Tooting.

29. Pink Panther

I noticed that quite early in the game. There's a big variation in 3G pitches. Those at Hendon and especially Harlow were too fast and bouncy, but this one is too slow and the ball holds up too much. The one at Oxford City was worse still last season, but at least we didn't take a hammering like we did there.

30. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Pitch was the same as it was when we played them in a midweek friendly last season...far too many rubber crumbs...not a good advert for 3G football.