Don McCullin exhibition at Tate Britain

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by neonwilderness, Feb 12, 2019.

1. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Went to see this today (with a mate who has Tate membership, so got in for free). Nearly in tears at one point. Even his landscapes are harrowing!

marty21, hash tag, spitfire and 3 others like this.
  2. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes, I sent my sister some of his pictures - she said they're all very dark aren't they!

neonwilderness likes this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Just out. A brilliant exhibition and very moving. A different world.

4. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Forget the wars and famine...the North East for England, the East End, Northern Island...i nearly grew up through those eras and so far removed from my sarf London beginnings :rolleyes:

neonwilderness and spitfire like this.
  5. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Unreasonable Behaviour is a fantastic read. I expected to start this this morning and turn over for a nap, instead I ripped through the first 100 pages.
    His childhood, school years, evacuation during the war, jobs, national service, a great read so far for anyone who may be interested.

Unreasonable Behaviour by Don McCullin | Waterstones
    [​IMG]

6. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I went to see this on Saturday and also read Unreasonable Behaviour beforehand. I'd seen a lot of the shots before in books, but it was good to see them up close and in the context of a series of shots. His landscape stuff was new to me, good but very dark!

The Markéta Luskačová exhibition was an unexpected bonus too :cool:
    Yeah this was quite annoying given how busy it was. Plus people trying to go the opposite way round the rooms rather than just queueing with everyone else :mad:

7. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

Going to see it on the 4th :cool:

8. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

His landscapes are incredible.

I've only just discovered this exhibition is on, I might try and make it up there before it finishes.

9. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Blagged a freebie to this and it is excellent.

The shots of homeless people around Liverpool Street from the early 80s were a real eye opener.

Also includes the photo which Killing Joke used as the cover of their first LP.

10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

This one really made me smile
    [​IMG]

The best comment I heard whilst walking round the cambodia bit was from a posh old woman to her husband. "They were basically fighting uneducated savages with machine guns, they didn't even know how to hold a knife and fork"

Chilli.s, hash tag, Saunders and 3 others like this.
  11. Saunders

Saunders Member

Just come out from it. Extraordinary and very moving.
    I really do appreciate the recommendations of exhibitions on here. Thank you.

12. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Still need to go to this. Maybe some weird time of the day this weekend because otherwise it will be packed I guess.

13. ash

ash Inittogether

We were there today too and it was good but bloody busy and that was at 1.30 Fri pm.

14. FridgeMagnet

It's the last weekend for that and the Diane Arbus at the Hayward, which I also haven't seen. I'm a member at both so I can just wander in without booking but just thinking about the crowds brings me out in hives. I'm thinking a hardcore 10am start tomorrow.

15. ash

ash Inittogether

Sounds a good bet. We have a member card - I suppose it’s people like us who push up the numbers . There was an hours wait to by buy tickets for entry so it must have been at capacity.

16. ash

ash Inittogether

81427926-EA53-4353-BFED-3C856C35973E.jpeg
    Snap - that one was the only photo I took too, going to send it to FIL who was on all the Aldermaston marches.

17. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I saw both on the same day. An interesting contrast as their careers start at about the same time. I wasn’t that impressed with the Arbus, although the later stuff is better.

18. hash tag

hash tag never too old

My fil was certainly on some of the alfermaston/cnd marches also. For his sins, was locked up on whilst on one of them on his wedding night.

ash likes this.
  19. ash

ash Inittogether

Oh dear : )
    The stories we always hear are:
    - sleeping in the crypt of St Martins in the fields the night before they set off.
    - after the first one or couple of marches from London to Aldermaston they realised that no one was there so decided it would make more sense to march from Aldermaston back to London!!

hash tag likes this.
  20. FridgeMagnet

Well that was a nice cheery start to the day :D I got there just after 10 and it was already hard to get round the first few rooms, people just shuffling slowly in a circle, so I dipped in and out, but it thinned out as I got further in.

Echo everything everyone has said. I would challenge anyone to come out of that thinking that wars are anything but unmitigated nightmares. It seems a bit shallow to talk about how great a photographer he is on top of it all.

Saunders, Mr.Bishie, Winot and 2 others like this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag never too old

22. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

yes, excellent exhibition

23. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

We may have bumped into each other! We were in just after 10 too! :D fantastic exhibition. What is it with people who get so close to photos & start having a fucking convo about it so no one else can get a look in? Wasn’t you was it? :D

FridgeMagnet and neonwilderness like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag never too old

At least they were talking about the picture and not something else entirely unconnected, which I have known to happen a few times :mad:

25. FridgeMagnet

If you saw a tall bloke who needed a haircut dodging in and out whenever it looked like there was a space, that might have been me... I mean honestly you can't spend ten minutes perusing each photo in a gallery. Some of those people are probably still there.

abstract1 likes this.
  26. FridgeMagnet

I read his autobiography, got it as an e-book. It has a lot of really insane stories of what he was doing when he got the pictures you saw, but he's not very self-analytical, beyond recognising that he was a right little scrote when he was younger - if you hoped for insight into how and why people do these jobs and survive them, this is source material but it doesn't explain much directly. His relationship with his wife and family, for instance, is pretty much glossed over until you get to the point where he talks about getting a divorce.

It was interesting to read it in the context of also having read "The Bang-Bang Club", which is similarly very descriptive but is about more than one person. It was written by a survivor but some of that group _didn't_ survive, they _were_ killed or killed themselves.

27. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Tim Page's book 'Page by Page' is quite a good account of how someone drifted more by accident than design into that circle/lifestyle (photographing the Vietnam war).

spitfire and neonwilderness like this.
  28. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Yeah, if you take away the stories of him getting the shots there’s not much left. I took it that he was slightly addicted to being in the thick of it and his marriage suffered as a result, but he doesn’t really go into much detail.

IIRC the film McCullin does pretty much the same thing.