Don McCullin exhibition at Tate Britain

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by neonwilderness, Feb 12, 2019.

1. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

2. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

every now and then i do wonder if a tate membership is worth it.

neonwilderness likes this.
  3. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

You need to go 4-5 times a year to recoup the cost, but it does mean you can walk in when you want rather than the hassle of booking a time slot or queuing.

Another option is the Art Fund pass, which is £70 and gives 50% entry to all sorts of places as well as the Tate.
    Art Fund

4. neonwilderness

I guess if you go to something every couple of months it probably is :hmm:

5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

A friend has got one that allows her to take a guest. She often invites me. I'm very lucky.

6. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I'm over 65 so I get the concessions rate £17 - a whole £1 off!

kazza007, Lupa, Biddlybee and 2 others like this.
  7. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I went last week.

It is excellent, all the classic photo's and some I'd not seen before. Also shows he takes more than just pictures of trauma and horror. His landscapes are really good and his candid pics of people on the beachfront are worth a look. Moody still though.

The ones with the kids are the hardest to look at. There were people quietly in tears. There's one of a little Syrian girl with special needs helpless on the floor that is just mind numbingly awful.

I did have an issue with the Northern Ireland explanation. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what PIRA were fighting for. Also Londonderry on all the captions....oh well I guess it is a pillar of the British establishment after all.

Other than that. Well worth it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Lupa, neonwilderness and Sue like this.
  8. spitfire

spitfire Toast

The pictures of the homeless in East London are also very powerful, especially as I live round here now so can see how different it is.

BBC4 had this on the night before I went.

BBC Four - Don McCullin: Looking for England

oryx, hash tag, Biddlybee and 2 others like this.
  9. neonwilderness

This is what I'd like to see. It got a brief mention at the end of the McCullin documentary, but most things tend to focus on his war stuff.

Oh excellent, I'll give that a watch. The last one I saw was The Road To Palmyra last year.

spitfire likes this.
  10. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

If £18 is too expensive, or London too far away, Sheffield has a great exhibition of work by Martin Jenkinson until April 14. A contemporary of McCullin, with similar viewpoints, but rather more northern.

Who We Are: Photographs by Martin Jenkinson

Lupa, neonwilderness and spitfire like this.
  11. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I tried not to be too much of a photo wanker when I was there but did take this one. It was allowed if you did it with a bit of decorum.

upload_2019-2-12_11-42-17.png

12. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

I really want to go, but yeh, this.

13. neonwilderness

I get to London more often than Sheffield, but I might try and get to this too :thumbs:

14. neonwilderness

I wonder if they ever do any deals :hmm:

I'll probably end up going, so I'll let you know if I do.

Biddlybee likes this.
  15. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Do, I'll come :) and I'll search for deals too :hmm:

16. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I expect I'll be going and I've a hole to fill Saturday if I can drag myself out. The BBC programme was well worth watching. :thumbs:

neonwilderness and spitfire like this.
  17. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I've really gone off the 'big' exhibitions and not just because of the ridiculous prices - they always seem to be too full and packed with people who seem more interested in ticking it off the list or taking selfies with themselves than taking in the artwork. I'd rather buy the book or see some 'lesser' work in a small gallery in a wet Monday or whatever.

And what a bloody shame the Getty has closed. That was one of my favourites.
    London’s Getty Images Gallery is now permanently closed, Jan 2019

hash tag likes this.
  18. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

yes, that's what I do too.
    but sometimes (like this time), I would prefer to go alone...

Sue likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag never too old

20. hash tag

hash tag never too old

editor likes this.
  21. neonwilderness

spitfire likes this.
  22. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Has to be done. :cool:

A lot of the photo's in the programme relate directly to the exhibition which is cool. Especially the Northern ones I thought.

The main technical thing I took from the doc was his reliance on the darkroom process. Burning in etc. Old school AF.

When I went on the first day, people were very respectful and if you crossed paths you waited. No selfies. Occasional private photo's allowed (no flash).

Tickets are scheduled entry. I'd imagine this is to make sure it doesn't get too jammers. Your experience may vary, I'd hope anyone giving it selfie nonsense at this one will get short shrift.

23. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Many of the big exhibitions the tickets are timed. They still turn out to be a right scrum though.

24. neonwilderness

I’m quite keen to see more shots from Consett as that’s just up the road from me. Also his landscape stuff, as I’ve only really seen that mentioned in passing.

It was interesting to see him in the darkroom. I’ve started experimenting with film in the last year or so , I t’s definitely a different mindset from shooting digital.

25. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I know, just reporting back on my personal first day experience. I even said, "your experience may vary".

I'm fucking allergic to queuing, people, selfie twits and general lack of consideration and it was fine. I had to go round a couple of times to get a decent look at some shots but this is some good shit so was worth it.

neonwilderness and hash tag like this.
  26. spitfire

spitfire Toast

So glad I unintentionally watched it the day before. Places everything in context so much more.

27. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Not to mention people who stand in front of a piece having a matter about nothing in particular :mad:

spitfire and neonwilderness like this.
  28. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

Going for my birthday at end of the month. Looking forward to it :)

hash tag, spitfire and neonwilderness like this.
  29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I went to the exhibition on Monday, I'm lucky as I was given a gift of Tate membership last year so I've been making the most of it. I went fairly early in the morning, it was busy but not too bad, I was able to stand and look at each photo properly. Was getting very busy when I left at lunch time.

I thought the exhibition was excellent, I had seen some of the pictures and was aware that many would be from wars - I hate war but I found the photographs moving and not just taken in a sensationalist way.

Loved the 70's East End ones and the landscapes and still life - didn't know he photographed things like that.

The Finsbury Park area photos, (where he's originally from ) were very good and interesting to me as I lived in the area when I first came to London.

Expect I'll go again for another look round as I don't have to pay!

30. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Yeah! I loved the photo of the guys in the back garden with all the beer bottles. Reminded me of my shared house days.

[​IMG]

blossie33 and neonwilderness like this.