1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Shelter do good work ?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by izz, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM.

1. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

I bung Shelter some money every month but having been lucky enough to never need them, have no real perception of how good they are. I'm considering upping the amount I give them but if people come back on here with tales of how rubbish they are and X charity or Y charity is more effective for people vulnerably housed or not housed at all, I'll consider putting my money into something more useful instead. So, Shelter, worth bunging some more cash ?

2. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Their lawyers prevented my parents being evicted by their landlord because he wanted to sell the farm. For free too. I like Shelter.

3. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Their lawyers were brilliant when my friends mum got evicted from the rental property she'd lived in for 40 years as the landlords wanted to develop the site. They originally convinced her to move from the house she was living in into a caravan on site, with the promise that when the development was done she would have a new house to live in for as long as she wanted. They reneged on this and tried to bully her out of the caravan (she was 80). When Shelter got involved they negotiated a small payout but most importantly took on all of the communication with the landlord so she never had to deal with them again. They also liaised with the council to help get her a council house. They were fantastic.

Celyn, weepiper, Sue and 6 others like this.
  4. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

They supported me as a teenager with a rogue landlord. I then went on to volunteer for them back in the 80's and later they were always my first point of call, when supporting rough sleepers and young parents in housing need.

I held them in high esteem and trusted them because of their independence from local authorities and housing associations - it meant there was never an agenda, they were always fighting the status quo regarding housing and homelessness. They also had an empty properties project and campaigned for them to be used to meet housing need. I think they have suffered like a lot of charities and projects within the voluntary sector in the last decade, due to funding cuts.
    Might be worth checking their website to see what they are up to these days- surely that will inform you?

weepiper, Sue and izz like this.
  5. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

Of course I can check out the website kalidarkone, but I wanted to hear people's stories.

Celyn likes this.
  6. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The do a lot of chugging in the street and that's bad. But, while their top bosses get reasonably fat salaries, they are nowhere near the fattest, so they might almost be called reasonable.

izz likes this.
  7. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I suggested that cus tbh I got no idea what's going on with them currently as I've been out of the housing / homelessness game since 2008.

izz likes this.
  8. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

My mum worked for Shelter for 20 years. By the time she left, she was disgusted with the way it had turned from a campaigning and angry organisation into a admistrative arm of local government with far too cosy a relationship with capital to be able to say what needed to be said.

Celyn and izz like this.
  9. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

izz and purenarcotic like this.
  10. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

I'm the media officer for Shelter services in England, which means I promote the cause of safe, secure housing as a human right, but more specifically the on-the-ground advice and help we give people via city hubs, prison and hospital services which take ex-offenders or patients who have been let out of hospital and into dire straits with their housing. Oh, and I cover Shelter shops too and their local promotion.

Anyway, point being I've seen the organisation from the inside, and I'm yet to not be amazed by the calibre and commitment shown by everyone I've met. The policy and research teams are incredible, in advancing the science and politics behind what we do. The solicitors, advisors, they're all amazing, knowledgeable and effective and they treat each case as real people and families. They can't fake that, I've seen it and worked with it. You couldn't fake that concern, and desire to help people on their uppers in really awful circumstances sometimes.

My union is currently in talks with ACAS and management over our 1% pay rise offer, lower than inflation so a pay cut in effect. So it's not issue free as a place to work, but I took a pay cut of several thousands anyway to come and work here, out of the corporate bubble I'd fallen into, and to do something about the shit state of housing in this country, to effect change - I don't regret the move at all. I feel useful, for once, if that's any measure of a job! :thumbs::)

11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

This is worth a read - its short - though there are longer pieces out there too

The Round-Up: rough sleeper immigration raids and charity collaboration | Corporate Watch

izz likes this.