Does lost Gas safety certificate void boiler guarantee?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by panpete, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

1. panpete

panpete Blokes name, birds body.

Hi
    My boiler is leaking, I get gas safety certificates on annual service but am missing one. I would normally get manufacturer out to fix it, as it's under warranty, but while I have other certificates from other years, I'm missing this one. I've contacted contractor who did service but as it's over a year since that particular contractor did the service, he said he only has to keep them a year, and has probably disposed of it. I paid him in cash, I checked my bank statements for exact date of service. I got him from mybuilder.com he was good, but I'm worried my boiler guarantee is now void.
    thanks

2. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

There's normally two, one for you (pink) one for your engineer. He should have a copy.
    Sorry, missed the bit about engineers copy.
    I didn't realise they only had to keep them a year.
    My engineer puts a sticker on the boiler with date and signs it?

3. panpete

Hi, yeah he disposed of it, had annual services done since, and I got a service done in may 2016 from contractors hired by the home improvement agency as they serviced it for free as I had trouble with the pressure, but wonder, as I cannot prove the first service took place within 12 months of the installation, I wonder if the warranty is void, as I keep forgetting to ask the contractors to complete the benchmark log book from the manufacturer?
    I'm worried because there is a warning on the benchmark document that is set out exactly as below

"Instructions and a new Benchmark logbook that MUST ve used to record the readings taken are provided within this document and must remain with the appliance's installation, commisssioning and servicing instructions."

Installer completed the Gas boiler system commissioning checklist, and I have the gas safety certificate but am worried about forgetting to get the contractors to fill out the benchmark log book and the missing gas safety certificate, as it looks as if I have gone 15 months without a service, and know that a boiler leak can be costly, and have two other big jobs to pay for.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:51 PM
  4. Calamity1971

5. panpete

No copy, they are not required to keep it for more than a year, as we are supposed to get them serviced yearly so engineer protected. I don;t know why i keep forgetting to get service engineers to fill out benchmark, im no good with paperwork, I remember service, just forget the paperwork, ive got all other records, just that one missing, and its the only one i paid cash to, typically. i just hope the manufacturer will not void my warranty.

6. Calamity1971

Hopefully once you get it done soon you will be covered.

7. panpete

That's the problem, i don't know if the missing safety record certificate and the forgotten log book completions have voided the warranty, as the manufacturer would repair the leak for free if it was valid.

8. Calamity1971

Ahh right. It looks like you may have to pay. Give them a call, you never know they may be okay?

9. panpete

I was just wondering if anyone else on here had a gas combi boiler still under warranty as it could be an expensive job.

10. Calamity1971

I rent so mine is down to landlord. Call out fees is when they take the piss.

11. panpete

Thanks, I should have titled the thread "any homeowners with boilers under warranty?"

Calamity1971 likes this.
  12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

My combi boiler is a bit fucked. I think one of its pumps or pump monitors is goosed. Sometimes I have to reset it about 10 times to get it fired up.
    Vaillant wanted £250 to fix it.

So I'm just leaving it fucked.

13. panpete

Hi
    I rang manufacturer today. Fortunately the guarantee is not voided. What a relief, thanks though, for all replies to this thread, much appreciated.

SheilaNaGig and danski like this.