1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone still visit record shops?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by hipipol, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

I do
    But
    very massively shrunken posse is in there when you do
    Pity
    Met what turned out to be really good mates in record shops
    But
    That was in another country
    The Past

2. passenger

passenger up and down...

No I don`t anymore ,but do miss those days , there is no greater feeling of spending your last few pounds in the world on a the latest 12 inch Jungle tune , back in ta day.

hipipol, stockwelljonny and sealion like this.
  3. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

yes but now days they are...

very expensive, more so in comparison when I was buying lots... late 90s - mid 00s

populated by middle aged, middle class, middle taste folk.

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Yes, got a tune (Lee Perry disco devil) put aside to pick up this week

My local shop is the oldest record shop in the world

hipipol, Pickman's model and sealion like this.
  5. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I don't but Mr. QofG's does whenever he gets the chance.

He will research record shops in places we are going to visit and that will form part of the trip :)

Badgers, stavros and marty21 like this.
  6. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

One of life's greatest pleasures is an afternoon spent sitting on the floor of a record shop, dragging out the boxes of 7"s from under the LP racks. Rarely find any bargains, but when I do pull out a plum it's so much more satisfying than clicking buy on Discogs.

Trawling for the record shops is my (and fortunately also my wife's) favourite way of exploring a new city.

7. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

I regularly go to my local record shop, although it's mostly given over to the interests of middle-aged rock canon enthusiasts these days so there's rarely anything much of interest for me. I think I go out of habit more than anything else (and because it's at the bottom of my road).

I probably visit picadilly records and vinyl exchange in manchester once or twice a month.

None are really the social hubs they once were though. Might be for the middle aged rock canon enthusiasts I guess.

8. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Depends where you go. They are not all as you describe.

9. sealion

I do often and find plenty of bargains/underpriced stuff. Still have a social aspect in some of the reggae shops i go to.

hipipol, ringo and passenger like this.
  10. Casual Observer

Casual Observer cross-eyed binoculars

11. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I think my record shop hanging out days ended in the early 80s. I used to spend hours every weekend at a record shop called 'Cruisin Record's ' in Bath from about 77-84 or so.

Badgers likes this.
  12. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Similar to Mr QoG, if my visit permits it I will look up the music emporia of a place before I go. There are a couple of shops in towns nearby which aren't bad, and I'll often save time when I go to London to visit Berwick Street, Notting Hill or Rough Trade East.

A special mention should go to the Oxfam shops, from which I've got lots of old CDs. If memory serves, Nottingham and Reading were good for Eno and The Fall respectively.

13. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Yep. We still have a little shop called "Recycled Sounds" run by an old hippie (naturally).

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

15. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Not lately. Back in the day I would listen to music free in the record booths until chucked out because I couldn’t afford 37shillings & 6pence for an LP or 6/8p for a single even. Now I have youtube. :thumbs:

passenger likes this.
  16. dtb

dtb > On A Trip Jam

occasionally but i'm always diappointed with the pricing, attitude of the staff and general atmosphere in the shops. all seems a bit 'fake' these days

passenger likes this.
  17. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

Yes, I love the smell of them :)
    There are still some bargains to be had in second hand ones, I have to go inside whenever I come across one.

sealion likes this.
  18. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

There aren't any near me unfortunately. I know a chap in the next town over who runs an online shop so its just out of his garage.

I do hit up the local charity shops to check for hidden gems occasionally.

Oh and I'm doing a reggae dub selection at rat records in January, so that will be fun :)

sealion likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

yes, irresistible, it's difficult not to come out with less than a handfull of stuff. Independents are few and far between as are secondhand ones, even here in town.
    I even once came out with more than I bargained for ;)

sealion likes this.
  20. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I'm particularly annoyed at how HMV and Virgin muscled so many independents out, then one proceeded to go bust while the other now mostly sells DVD boxsets and overpriced headphones with a few CDs in the back somewhere. It's like a dog stealing your dinner then immediately vomiting it back up again.

hash tag and moody like this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Also, Virgin bought out Tower Records at Picadilly: a superb shop. I could spend a day a time in there.

sealion likes this.
  22. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

23. krtek a houby

krtek a houby If specified, this will replace the title

Yup. Although more to stare in wonder at the records than purchase them. It's all CDs for me, still.

24. stavros

My local HMV isn't bad. I've got various new releases who I don't think anyone would regard as mainstream from there. They lack the back catalogue of such artists, but if you want new Russian shoegaze then they're ideal.

25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Any Russian shoegaze you could recommend?

26. stavros

Pinkshinyultrablast. Either of their albums will serve you well.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  27. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

It was never as cool as this mind.....

Ground Elder and Maggot like this.
  28. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

My 'local' record shop is also in one of the best bars in Leeds, so I'm in there a lot.

Fucking expensive place, selling the two things that drain my wages more than anything else - black crack and beer :mad:

29. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

the last time i went to a shop (over a year now) was for a launch and it wasnt a million miles from that scene

i imagine your local Rye Wax gets like that on occassion (havent been there either for shame)

Rutita1 and sealion like this.
  30. sealion

That tune is the same ridim as material things on the holy cow album