Does anyone else think there seem to be lots more police cars about on 999 calls nowadays?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by T & P, Oct 8, 2018.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It could just be that I had never noticed it/ given it thought below; or something as simple as a new police patrol depot nearer to me. But i’ve been living off Norwood Rd for more nearly 20 years and I swear the amount of police cars I see/hear zooming past on 999 calls every single day seems staggering, and far more than it used to be, say 12-15 years ago.

Just in the evening time during the working week there must be at least 4-6 instances of cop cars speeding along sirens blazing and lights flashing every single night. And at weekends it can easily be 8+ separate incidents (i.e. half an hour or longer apart).

Not only that, but on each instance the number of cars attending is rarely fewer than 3. Some Saturday nights I’ve probably counted 8-10 cars going past within a five-minute period.

Is my memory failing me and has it always been it like this? I certainly don’t remember it so. Perhaps it’s just that they always send far more cars and support to any incident than before...

2. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Normally at end of shift

3. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Is this just a little before 10?

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Not necessarily, but come to think of it there are perhaps more of then later in the evening. But there are plenty of them early evening as well.

5. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Ah, was just wondering whether it was around Dunkin’ Donuts closing time..

6. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

1600 in cornwall town environments

7. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Come January, there'll be no Donuts - just Dunkin'

That'll confuse 'em.

User Data and Cookie Consent

8. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

They’re racing each other back to base.

When I lived down in Brixton Town we’d quip “Must be teatime” when two or more siren wailers came by close together.

krtek a houby likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Living on Coldharbour Lane, I'm long used to endless police/fire engine sirens all day and night long. Not sure if there's any more than usual.

10. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

same here biggest difference is the amount of unmarked cars seems to have grown, the one time there was not a police car to be seen was when I called 999 while watching a brutal kidnapping, they finally got back to me 30 hours later no apology no explanation as to why it took them so long, the only thing the inspector said was 'yeah there's been a few of those lately'

editor likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i think i may have heard and seen fewer police cars with the woo-woos on, but a lot more ambulances, in recent months

12. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Could it be fewer police covering a larger area and therefore having to cover more miles on blues between calls?

Smick and T & P like this.
  13. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Yes. From what I have heard cuts to police have meant this.

14. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Ive noticed there seems to be a lot more unmarked police cars about these days. IIRC it was unusual to see these at ll say, 10-15 years ago, but now they are almost as common as marked cars.

salem likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Yeah, it’s a new thing where you just use your own car and when there’s a crime you get allocated it via an app.

Manter likes this.
  16. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

:hmm:

17. 8ball

8ball Up to something

It's perfectly safe. The cars will be self-driving in 10 years time.

18. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I used to live on Brixton road and cars would permanently be zipping past in alternative directions. Given there is a station at Brixton and one at Kennington I always wondered whether it was really poor resource allocation....

DietCokeGirl likes this.