1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documentary Photography

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by tintin93, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tintin93

tintin93 New Member

I am a student currently studying photography in Cardiff, I am to do a documentary series and I am at a complete loss for inspiration. I was initially wanting to do it on 'skin' and document scars and tattoos but I can't find people who are willing/ tattoo shops have denied me from coming in and photographing tattoos being done. Does anyone have any ideas based around my initial idea? Thank you.

2. tintin93

tintin93 New Member

I am a student currently studying photography in Cardiff, I am to do a documentary series and I am at a complete loss for inspiration. I was initially wanting to do it on 'skin' and document scars and tattoos but I can't find people who are willing/ tattoo shops have denied me from coming in and photographing tattoos being done. Does anyone have any ideas based around my initial idea? Thank you.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

maybe have a new idea.

4. tintin93

tintin93 New Member

a groundbreaking reply.

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

your first :cool:

ddraig and Sweet FA like this.
  6. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie In solidarity with the people of Catalonia

tintin93 - I photograph the Brighton Tattoo Convention every year. See if there’s one local to you?

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. pug

pug Well-Known Member

Do a story about sheep skin, follow the path of the animals from the farm to the abbatior and then the skins onwards through the tanning (or whatever they do) process all the way to the final user.

8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Croeso I Caerdydd
    hope you enjoy your time here
    surely part of the task is having the inspiration?
    maybe you could do the scars of austerity

Pickman's model and wayward bob like this.
  9. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Maybe you should start by pondering on the terms of the FAQ you agreed to on signup:

Terms of Service and Rules | urban75 forums

Beyond that, good luck with your idea/project when you get going. :)

10. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

the equivalent of "write what you know" springs to mind.

take pictures of the rest of your class asking someone else to do their work for them :thumbs:

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's loads of things to photograph in Cardiff but - let's be honest - the tattoo thing has been done a hundred times before. Get into a library and look up some of the greats - Kertesz, Cartier Bresson etc - and you'll have no problem being inspired.

12. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

heh, i've had a coffee and returned for a more generous answer :oops::D

totally agree with ed - which photographers inspire you? which made you decide yep, photography's my thing? don't try to match their subject matter but look at the emotional impact their work makes, or the technical qualities you admire, and then, well, extrapolate - but that bit's your job, no-one else's.

eta (i'm on a roll now :D) imho a large chunk of doc phot is the relationship the photographer has with their subjects. that might come from being one of very few people documenting an inherently dramatic and/or extreme situation (e.g. war) but equally it can come from having an intimate/open connection with other people in much more mundane situations.

i think with time and increasing confidence it becomes easier to make those connections quickly and in trying circumstances, but while you're learning being in a place you feel comfortable might be the key to really exploring that connection. do you take part in any activities or communities that might be in some sense a "closed shop" to others, that you could shed an insider's point of view on?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  13. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I think you've discovered that in documentary photography taking the photos is the easy bit. You need to get the confidence of the people you want to photograph before you can expect them to agree, particularly if the subject matter is sensitive.

If you really want to pursue this idea you need to find at least one person with tattoos and get to know them a bit. If they let you take some photos you could then use those as the basis of a collection to show to other people, and if they like what they see, you might find that's a way to gain their confidence.

(I did a degree in documentary photography in the 1970s so I've some experience in this.)

Pickman's model and wayward bob like this.
  14. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

I met a guy in Ibiza who was going around the streets talking to people, then after 'breaking the ice', told them about his photography project of photographing peoples hands with a macro lens - very close-up details of peoples wrinkles and lines. They were actually fascinating photographs with stories. He even paid street people a Tenner.

I really liked them and willingly agreed to have my hands shot, because I loved the idea that they weren't faces.

Not suggesting you pinch his idea, but as RoyReed said; you need to learn a whole load more skills than photography to be a true documentary photographer. Getting out into the streets and talking to folk is a very good start.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*one thread is enough. I'm merging this with the one in the Wales forum.

ddraig and Pickman's model like this.