Question Document scanners

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Hollis, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Anyone come across a phone/tablet app that works well? Or do you generally have a buy a scanner? I've tried out a couple on my mobile, with mixed results. Even the Adobe one doesn't really capture the text all the time..

2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I tend to use Office Lens - it will resize the image, correct the orientation and does a reasonable job. Not as good as a proper scanner mind, but better than nowt. Probably not what you want if you need high-res images of documents.

Eta - I've just checked and I didn't realise that it has resolution settings, as I'd been using the default. It can take images at 21MP if you want - the resolution of text documents is pretty good at that setting.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Hollis, a_chap and Badgers like this.
  3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I use one called JotNot Pro but tbh I haven’t used it for ages. It produces readable results and it’s useful if you want to do something like combine pages into a PDF, but I tend only to scan receipts for work and I do that on the office printer.

I do have a flatbed scanner but I only use it to scan negatives. Obviously you get better results from one but it depends on how bothered you are about detail.

Hollis likes this.
  4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Camscanner app here

Seems fine on the one or two occasions I needed it.

Hollis and mango5 like this.
  5. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Same

6. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

I am wondering if just taking photos then using a file-converter might be the best option.. you can convert JPEG to pdf.