Doc Martens

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Fingers, May 26, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I got these as a present. The first day or so I thought they were the most comfortable new DMs I'd ever worn. And then came the PAAAAAAIIINNN!

Lupa likes this.
  2. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Ah here we go
    4C7E1CC2-EC63-4A48-8DBE-3D07B6B00FFE.jpeg
    DR MARTENS 1460 TECHNIQUE

047C099E-23FC-482D-8440-F17D281284D8.jpeg

SpookyFrank, BoatieBird and Lupa like this.
  3. Lupa

Lupa A loving heart is the truest wisdom

[​IMG]

Got these a while back.
    Loving them... :D

Chilli.s, BoatieBird and Lazy Llama like this.
  4. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Suddenly, I'm looking forward to going to work in Reading on Monday. I fear I may need those boots.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  5. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

You'll have to get in quick, Technique and Unknown pleasures have sold out once already, and they're waiting for new stock in most places.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Lazy Llama likes this.
  6. moose

This is how they worked out - pretty pleased with them, tbh :)

IMG_7652.JPG

Voley, Shirl, Me76 and 3 others like this.
  7. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Doc marts have started doing 14 hole 1914's again but is says 'quillon' leather. What's that? Is it some sort of super soft stuff? Not sure I want to spend £200+ though. :(

Lupa likes this.
  8. Lupa

DR MARTENS - A GUIDE TO THE LEATHER TYPES | That Shoe Lady

Quilon leather is the heavyweight, vintage version of the classic Smooth leather,

WouldBe likes this.
  9. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Cheers for that. Still not sure I want to pay 200+ for a pair though. :eek:

Lupa likes this.
  10. Lupa

Yup. You could try eBay though. People often buy docs and try them once and can't deal with the breaking in. They sometimes end up selling on eBay.

11. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I do occasionally check e-bay and I've just set up an alert on the site. :)

I did find some the other day on an American, a Canadian and a Swedish website. The Swedish website wanted what appeared to be 1.5M krona which works out at £129,000. I only want one pair not a container load. :eek: :D

Lupa likes this.
  12. moose

Imagine the exact opposite of that :D It's very thick and takes a while to break in, but will last a very long time.

WouldBe and Lupa like this.
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Man gets stuck in melted tarmac

WouldBe, mx wcfc, Lupa and 1 other person like this.
  14. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I've been wearing docs for over 40 years so they will be like the earlier pairs I had so it won't be a problem breaking them in. :)

Lupa likes this.
  15. moose

Yep, they're like the 80s ones. They're lovely. Stay new-looking for a couple of years.

Lupa and WouldBe like this.
  16. Lupa

I had forgotten how painful it was until last year when I got a pair of originals.
    Agony.
    And more agony.
    I think it took me longer to break them in than any other pair I ever had. I kept chickening out.
    But after 2 months they were ok.

WouldBe likes this.
  17. moose

Just customised an old pair of light brown sandals that were never going to get worn. Now fabulous!

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 18.08.24.png

Voley, Chilli.s, BoatieBird and 4 others like this.
  18. Lupa

That's a great idea. Very well done too.
    I've an old pair of DM sandals. Heavy as a block on each foot. They're tan coloured. I might jazz them up a bit.

moose likes this.
  19. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Accidentally'd some made in England 1460s off ebay the other day. First docs I've had since my early teens so the size was a complete gamble, they fit perfectly though apart from one boot being a tiiiny bit tight across the toes. Think they'll be fine laced tightly with some wearing in :hmm:

20. Lupa

If you can wear thick socks breaking them in they should loosen a little bit on the toes. Be prepared for blisters though. And I'd be lacing not so tight at the start and gradually tighter as you go.

The made in England ones are neat and can be tight. The leather is better / thicker.

21. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

Yeah I'm going to, ta. I meant once they've been worn a bit they should be fine if I do the laces up tight (so my feet stay right back where there's room for my toes rather than sliding forward and squashing them, my left foot does that in lots of shoes for some reason :mad:).

Lupa likes this.
  22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

get an insole.

23. Lupa

No. That won't work. Iona is right about tight lacing keeping her foot back.

24. Pickman's model

yes, tight lacing will keep feet back. but it is less comfy than using an insole, which achieves the same thing without running such a risk of petechiae

25. Lupa

If the boots are tight across the toes already then an insole wont be comfortable

26. Pickman's model

:facepalm:

from what iona says, one of her feet is a mite smaller than the other. this is by no means uncommon. as i understand it, the right boot is tight across her toes while iona's left foot shifts about - i am suggesting iona use an insole in her left boot but not her right.

27. Lupa

Yes. I got what you were saying. But in my experience as someone who also has one foot slightly bigger than the other lacing tightly is the better solution to an insole or even half insole.
    I've tried ... believe me.

28. Pickman's model

yeh. as i have only worn dms since 1987 maybe my suggestion should be taken with a pinch of salt.

29. Lupa

:D

:rolleyes:

I came out of the womb in mine :thumbs:

Chilli.s and WouldBe like this.
  30. Pickman's model

((((PippinTook's mum)))) :(

fishfinger and Lupa like this.