Doc Martens

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Fingers, May 26, 2016.

1. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Honestly they look like they're trying to pass themselves off as an official Doc Martens store, but the url bears no relation to it. Whois has them listed in China.

PippinTook likes this.
  2. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

IMG_4255.JPG Since this thread has popped up again I thought I'd show off my latest eBay acquisition...... Vintage DM trainers!

BoatieBird, Ax^, Voley and 1 other person like this.
  3. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

4. Vintage Paw

What are people's tips for buying Docs from ebay? Stick to people who trade in old pairs all the time or randos getting rid of an old pair they don't want anymore? What's a decent price to pay for a regular old pair? I guess they've done the hard work of softening the leather. Are the soles usually in decent condition? Stitching still holding up? Do you have to wait long to find a decent pair?

5. Vintage Paw

One for the remainers out there :D

[​IMG]

PippinTook and BoatieBird like this.
  6. mx wcfc

I've bought, I think, 4 pairs off ebay now. Only one pair has been duff. They were a mistake - I had a £10 ebay voucher that was about to expire. Most sellers show the sole - that will tell you how worn they are, Just look closely at the pics. Apart from the duff pair of 1490s, my ebay purchases have all been unusual stuff - the trainers above, a pair of Made in England office shoes (!) and the three coloured brogue ankle books also above somewhere.

I do browse ebay a lot, and do sometimes wish I had an excuse to buy some more. But you can only wear one pair at a time, and I have 12 now...

Vintage Paw likes this.
  7. mx wcfc

8. mx wcfc

Well DMs are made in China these days - possibly they are genuinely selling genuine docs that have been "diverted" from the official factory. But I still wouldn't risk it.

9. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I have an alert set up for my size. I only want unusual ones and my price limit is £40 so I only look at the ones that fit in that criteria. Take me 20 secs a day.

If I see something I like it's added to my watch list and then if the price stays in my limit I gixen for the amount I'm prepared to pay.

As said above, most sellers put a picture of the soles on. If they don't I don't bother.

PippinTook, Vintage Paw and Voley like this.
  10. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I've bought 2 pairs off Ebay and they've both been fine. One pair of very old, slightly knackered but nicely lived-in 1460's, advertised as such. 20 or 25 quid I think. Another slightly more unusual Lava Rub-Off pair that I think I paid 40/45 quid for. Good condition. Both had loads of photos and that was what sold them. Don't really mind if they're a regular seller or a random. Random might get a better price but loads of pics is the important bit for me. Stitching was fine even on the older pair.

PippinTook, Vintage Paw and mx wcfc like this.
  11. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

If you're buying off an eBay seller check their seller ratings and see what feedback they got for any DMs sold.
    I only buy from 100% sellers with great feedback. That's an I am sure they're going to be legit in their descriptions etc.
    Photos are very important. Soles and insides too.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  12. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

So I've had a scan through the small print and Dr Martin can change the terms whenever they fancy, but they're selleing these boots as "for life" so if they wear out (uppers or soles) they'll repair or replace,

Is this too good to be true? One pair of boots for the rest of my life? They are £195, but if that's forever it seems like a roapy business model given how quick I wear through boots

Dr. Martens - FOR LIFE

PippinTook likes this.
  13. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Definitely check the pics of the soles - often, you find some Made In England ones that aren't advertised as such because the seller doesn't know it's important. I won't buy any with significant wear, only newish or new. Always worth searching for Award pairs - the ones people who work at DM get to design themselves once they've been employees for a year. They're often one-offs. I don't tend to buy from people who list loads of pairs - they are much more expensive.

PippinTook and Vintage Paw like this.
  14. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I only know one person who has tried it, and got a new pair, so worth a go. However note that the sizes are significantly bigger and wider than 'normal' ones, so might be worth trying them on in a shop before you invest.

Here's a pic I posted a while back on sizing Me Docs are fooked

nogojones and Vintage Paw like this.
  15. mx wcfc

I bought a pair of tan 1460s For Life a couple of years ago - new, from the official website. They were expensive, but not £195. They seem fine so far. The leather was soaked in oil of some sort - presumably to stop it drying out and cracking. I have put the guarantee away safely and doubtless I will lose it before I need to get the soles replaced.

I expect the business model is that most people will lose the paperwork/forget about the guarantee.

nogojones and PippinTook like this.
  16. Vintage Paw

Is there an easy way of telling they're For Life shoes from the pictures if the seller doesn't know? And if you do get them from ebay, I guess you can't register them on the website at that point since you're not the original buyer?

17. mx wcfc

My for life's have a for life logo in the heel and a guarantee card. I'd be surprised if the lifetime guarantee was transferable. Sorry the heel pic is blurred, but you get the idea.

IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4257.JPG

18. mx wcfc

IMG_4259.JPG Try again

19. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

No, just no, bowfin'.

pogofish likes this.
  20. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Jesus tittyfucking christ, what have they done.

Voley likes this.
  21. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Well its fucking accidemical anyhow. They ain't got my size

mx wcfc likes this.
  22. Vintage Paw

Thanks for the logo pics, mx wcfc :thumbs:

23. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Do people normally wear a size smaller than usual with docs? I’m fancying a pair of 1461’s.

24. mx wcfc

Sizes do vary - I find my normal size is OK, but some of my DMs fit me better with thick socks!

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  25. Vintage Paw

It's a rare brand that isn't too small on my wide feet. I'm good with most Skechers. My latest Rieker boots are a touch too narrow, and often it's good to go to a 6.5 rather than a 6 if they don't do a wide, but I didn't this time, for shame. They're mostly okay, just a bit less wriggle room than I'd like (I'd like to get an insole in there but there's no room).

So if Docs are running a little boaty I think that'd suit me just fine. I can't for the life of me remember whether my last pair were fine size wise. It was over 20 years ago :D

26. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

If you have hobbit like feet (wide) like me they can pinch until you've broken them in.
    I've always found the Pascals fit me perfectly but the 1460 can be tight...especially the older made in England ones. I have no problem with the 1461s. It's weird....or maybe my feet are...:hmm:
    Best to try on in a shop and then go online shopping.

27. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I haven’t worn DMs in nearly 30 years - after I discovered they were shit in industrial conditions and would go through a pair every 6 months while working in catering. After that I discovered ex-army German Para boots that were virtually indestructible. In the 80s, I went inter-railing with my mate and, when we got to Germany, discovered DMs were cult footwear when a complete stranger offered to buy my quite knackered pair for £40! Given that a new pair in the UK was about £30 then, I accepted. The chap was very happy - even though they were at least 3 sizes too big for him. I imagine they’re ubiquitous across Europe now but then, they were like gold-dust (to Germans at least).

28. Vintage Paw

I had a standard pair of black 1460s in the early 90s and I don't remember them hurting me at all. Then I got a pair in a red and white plaid kind of material and by jesus they fucking KILLED.

PippinTook likes this.
  29. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

I am normally a size 6 in all shoes, but I had to drop to a size 5 when I bought my docs.
    They're not the 'made in England' variety though.

PippinTook likes this.
  30. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

F0A7D93B-2FD2-4B28-A21C-5A13A99F07CE.jpeg Think I bought these nearly a year ago but have not worn until today. They are canvas. I’m loving them.

kebabking, Me76, clicker and 8 others like this.