1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doc Martens

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Fingers, May 26, 2016.

1. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

I quite like this variation in style and colour:

[​IMG]
    'Merlot' apparently. But it'll have to wait until payday, at the very least.

2. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

They are very nice....:thumbs:

Voley likes this.
  3. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Where did you find the cherry reds? I'm after a new pair as the leather has split on mine but can't find them anywhere. Usual place I got them from has stopped stocking cherry reds. :(

4. Voley

Lou's Shoes in Penzance. I'm guessing that's probably not much help to you, though, sorry. :D

5. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Depends if they do mail order or not. :)

6. Voley

I'm not sure. They've got a facebook page here if you want to get in touch.

7. Voley

Ones I tried on were 85 quid I think.

8. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Cheers.

9. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

My problem with them is they never wear out for me and as they are about the only type of footwear I buy I could start a DM museum. I have worn them since the 80s and guess I have about 40 or more pairs. Early versions which were made in the UK are better quality but now the variety is much better. The last pair I got had Baseman graphics which enable me to say through my feet that I may be old and fat but I am not ready to die.

WouldBe, keithy, coley and 2 others like this.
  10. bubblesmcgrath

I think a thread is needed where all DM wearers post themselves in their beloved footwear.

:)

Vintage Paw likes this.
  11. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

12. bubblesmcgrath

catinthehat likes this.
  13. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I have worn them forever, used to get the piss taken out of me at school for it. But recently i have been indulging in second hand, cheaper purchases.

Black Chelsea boots are standard wear but i now also have:
    Paint brush effect
    Blue tartan
    Blue holographic
    Silver holographic

And a watch email on eBay so i can catch them as they come up.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  14. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I'm running 7 pairs of DMs at the moment, and have worn them for years. The quality isn't what is was - you have to check carefully for faults when buying and they don't last nearly as long - but I still buy them. Regular polishing avoids/delays creases cracking, but it shouldn't be such a problem. The footbed seems to be the weak point for me, and I wear through the heels quickly but I think that's just the way I walk.

I have to constantly restrain myself from buying more. I'm tempted by the inkblot 1461s at the moment as they are reduced to £60. DR MARTENS 1461 INK BLOT

15. mx wcfc

That is the single most horrible 1460 design I have ever seen.

16. mx wcfc

I have a pair of those in tan, I'd been lusting over them for weeks, and when they went in the sale, I bought them.

I hadn't had "boanil brush" leather before. Boanil brush means "gets scruffy really quickly". The top colour scuffs off really easily, leaving a different colour underneath, which really shows up. You cant restore the colour with polish, as the layers are all shiny. I'll post a pick from my phone if I can manage that.

They are probably fine for "polite" wear, but dont buy them as a everyday commuting and work boot.

Me76, Voley and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  17. bubblesmcgrath

I'm embarrassed to admit that I may have becomd a DM addict.
    I have accumulated...21 pairs including sandals.
    It started out years ago with a pair of black 1460s followed by a pair of flowery pascals. Then a pair of oxblood 1460.
    All my old ones still look great. Whatever way I walk they've not creased or cracked.

I've been given DMs for birthdays and Christmases, and I've succumbed to eBay a few times.
    People just assume now that there are three gifts I love; paints, brushes and DMs.
    They're right of course .:D

Wookey, Me76 and Voley like this.
  18. mx wcfc

This is what Boanil brush boots look like after a few wears

Attached Files:

Voley and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  19. bubblesmcgrath

Lol....I actually would wear them...on St Patricks day......but then again I'm Irish....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Purdie and mx wcfc like this.
  20. bubblesmcgrath

That's not good.....

Me76 likes this.
  21. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I bought my last pair in 1995...and paid an arm and a leg (£65) in some dodgy shop in Brighton because they did not have that yellow stitching around the welt (hate that)...but when they wore out in my first year of gardening (2003), the replacements were...just shite...immediately skipped over to caterpillars and and then Timberlands...but only a couple of years at best from them. Not terribly sure whether they are all a bit crapper (it has been a long time since I got 5 years out of boots)...or I am just rougher with them. Meindls have been sterling for the last 4 years (fugly though).
    Traitorous to the last, I have gone over to Birkies for shoes so suspect DMs are now a thing of my (ahem) youth.

kebabking and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  22. Voley

Thanks for that mx wcfc. Worth knowing. There's a pair on Ebay going for seventy quid atm and if they stay near that price I might risk it. I did want them to be hardwearing though, they're DM's after all, so thanks for pointing that out.

mx wcfc and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  23. bubblesmcgrath

My oldest are from 92.
    Made in England.
    They're still going strong. They are still more comfortable than the newer ones though, even after the new ones are broken in..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Me76, mx wcfc and Voley like this.
  24. mx wcfc

25. mx wcfc

There are also some very nice 10 hole 1490's on offer at the moment. I have black 1460s in a soft leather, but a pair of these would be good for gigs and festivals....

dr martens boots size 10 | eBay

and by buying off ebay, I may not get into so much trouble with Mrs Mx. I am wfh on Monday and she wont be in, so I am planning a nifty last minute bid.

If I can remember my ebay log in.

26. mx wcfc

Thought I should probably clarify, particularly as I get more tipsy - It's not the Irishness that I don't like, just the design. I had an Irish grandfather ffs. I could have played football for Ireland. If, that is, I was any good at football. Anyway, I should probably go to bed as I am fucking pissed now, but

What do you think of these?
    DR MARTENS 1460 YEAR OF THE ROOSTER

I reckon an Irish version of this would be better than both the year of the rooster ones and the St Patrick's Day ones.

AnnO'Neemus and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  27. bubblesmcgrath

I like those ...and yes, an Irish version would be nice, with green trim, insides, stitching, tab etc...although I'm not so sure what black leather with green undertones would be like. :thumbs:

28. bubblesmcgrath

I'd love a pair of the blue holographic ones....:)

Me76 likes this.
  29. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

You need these, Voley :D
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 08.14.35.png

30. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to stop now. My enormous DM cupboard is finally full. I might be able to squeeze one more pair of shoes in but that's it. :(