1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doc Martens

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Fingers, May 26, 2016.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

My first pair lasted years. I have had this pair for 6 months and there is already a hole in the toe crease :mad: Has quality gone down the pan?

20160526_104353-600x1067.jpg

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

doc MARTENS :mad:

if you are indeed wearing doc martins you've been ripped off

bubblesmcgrath, marty21 and Fingers like this.
  3. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

That happened to Mr Looby's last pair after 8 months and they exchanged them with no hassle at all.

Fingers likes this.
  4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

If your previous DMS were bought before 2003/4 then they were made in the UK. Since then they've all been made in China and the quality has suffered.

EDIT: I see they now have a made in the UK "Vintage" line. £200 for 10-hole boots :(

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    campanula, bubblesmcgrath and Fingers like this.
  5. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

You can buy Made in England ones, which are the old fantastic quality, but they cost around £200 for a pair of 1460s. :eek:

The other reason they're not as sturdy is that people complained they were hard to break in, so the ones made in China and Thailand are made to a bigger last, and in softer leathers.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  6. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

the quality hs dropped since they shifted production to the far east, although ime they've always had a tendency to go through at that point on the toe.

bubblesmcgrath and Fingers like this.
  7. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Thanks all. I may take them back if I can find the receipt. They took a bit of a battering on the refugee camp when I first got the but still.... I would rather they took a load of breaking in and last.

Anyone know how much the Made in England eight holers cost?

8. Pickman's model

try solovair

Fingers likes this.
  9. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

Vegetarian shoes do airware soled alternatives for anyone looking for a vegan doc boot or shoe

10. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Pretty much as you’d imagine

£195 - DR MARTENS VINTAGE 1460

Used to wear DM shoes in the 80's and 90's. Bought a pair about 10 years ago and they ripped my heels to shreds.
    Bought some canvas ones a couple of months ago, hoping they'd be better. Blisters and blood on the heels again.
    I've been battering the heels and trying to wear them in but something about the inner heels has changed (or my feet have changed shape).

Fingers likes this.
  11. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

buy the UK ones (yeah I know expensive but think of it as ethical and paying a living wage, we don't pay the true cost of what things cost to make). or look for work boots made in Poland or Romania, they have always been fantastically well made.

mango5 and waxoyl like this.
  12. killer b

Solovair make the DM MIE range on license, I believe - so get Solovair if you're wanting a UK made doc as they're a little cheaper.

13. Pickman's model

14. killer b

Yes. I was adding some information to your previous post

15. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

We've had to take my daughter's pair back twice now because the sole sticks together and makes a clicky noise as you walk. To be fair they've always swapped them for a new pair without any argument.

16. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

My old doc marten Mary Janes now have a split sole and let in the rain. Bugger - didn't really want to have to buy new ones. Can't recall when I bought them - but very possibly pre 2004, all the ones I've tried on since don't seem to be as wide and I've got very wide feet. I'm really nerveous about buying some new ones but don't know what else to get instead.

I've found this in the past too, I think they got deeper at the back. I got those padded heel things you stick inside your shoe under your heel - so your foot is higher up in the shoe and it doesnt rub your heel.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    bubblesmcgrath and Lazy Llama like this.
  17. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I got some solovair a couple of years ago. Not worn them much and the soles are coming off. :(

18. Pickman's model

not had that problem. sorry to hear that, wouldbe

19. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

I got UK Docks about 18 months ago and they've got a hole in exactly the same place :mad:! Army boots for me these days.

20. S☼I

S☼I more baffled by the basics, tbh

I bought some worn-once uk docs 2 years back from eBay, 100 quid, in fab Nick, but I do polish them once a week at least

21. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Weary, Worn and Sad.

I got my first pair in 1971, my last pair in 2003, quality gone well down pan.
    Might treat myself to a pair of vintage1460s at some point, but until then there is this ditty.

22. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Pretty much as you’d imagine

"Retail for only 19 pounds and 99p".
    I wish!

23. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Ugliest shoes ever

24. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

mine also aggravate my inner heels and it seems to be getting worse. i was wondering if some new ones would fix it but i'm guessing that's a no from this thread. i always cover my heel with preventative plasters now when i wear them.

25. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Never had any problems like that before. The new docs are a lot softer than the old ones and take very little to break them in if at all.

26. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

it's not a breaking in thing, they were fine initially.

it's as if the inner heel is coming away from the rest of the boot, so it rubs within the back of the heel (not the top of the heel onto the leg)

27. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Breaking in the original DMs was Painful!!!!!
    But I've got to say that my now vintage floral pairs are the most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had. I tried out sketchers go walk and had knee pain withing 2 hours. Tested them again a week later and same knee problem.
    Went back to the old docs and I'm walking on air every day.

The new ones are just not the same. They're tighter and the leather cracks. I got a pair of navy shimmer metallic ones about 4 months ago. They have sort of cracked and the metallic shimmer is gone in spots. Not pleased. They also are quite tough and were painful to break in ...so.much so that I didn't wear them that much, yet the surface cracked anyway.

I've always loved doc martens....I wore them to work years ago and was asked to.wear more suitable footwear. "I'm on my feet all day, these are the most comfortable shoes for me", said I. But I was told they didn't match the school view of what the teachers should wear. Grrr.

Now, I wear them whenever I like. They make me 1 inch taller and I walk better in them. No problems in my knees and I'm not in pain standing for long periods of time.

...I think I went a bit off topic..:D

imposs1904, Voley and Thimble Queen like this.
  28. bubblesmcgrath

Er mah Gerd.

Just spotted these...lol...

[​IMG]

For St Patrick'sI day...
    Sold out....in any size I could possibly wear....lol

29. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

I tried a pair on for the first time yesterday. Cherry Red was a bit full-on colour-wise for me but I liked the style. Being a bit taller and the ankle support was good too. Will have to be investing in some soon, I think.

30. bubblesmcgrath

Go for it....what about oxblood? The colour, I mean...:)