Do you (still) have the patience to read long books?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ringo, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sea Star

Sea Star this is not a tagline

I'm sure I still have patience, but I seem to have concentration and memory issues plus an eye tracking problem which is correctable with special glasses, but I still haven't put myself on the waiting list to get this seen to - and the wait time is at least a year. So instead I pretty much stick to audio books, and apart from screens (all my subscriptions are digital) the only print I read now are snail mail and paperwork I get handed at work. Though I do have some proper books (some? Piles of them!) I haven't read but reading takes an age now (I used to be a quick and voracious reader) so I dip in and out, and then forget everything I read. seems pointless.

2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

TV series are too bloody long, definitely. The insistence that everything must have twelve episodes or so per season distorts plots and means you end up with mid-season slumps, which are still considered inexplicable. Who could have predicted this? Apart from anyone who’s watched any TV in the past few years or just knows anything about it.

8ball likes this.
  3. KeeperofDragons

KeeperofDragons Crazy dragon lady

I like good long book both fiction & non fiction but read them on the kindle nowadays as I get tendonitis in my thumb so can't hold big books for long.

4. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I remember something recently, can't remember whether I read it or heard it on the radio, about how books years ago used to be published in installments. So perhaps that's a bit like episodes of a box set?

I wonder what would happen if they tried publishing something that way, a chapter ever week (or month)? Would that get people reading?

5. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

44 Scotland Street ( Alexander McCall Smith) was published daily by the Scotsman then condensed into books. I have read the books but don't read The Scotsman but those that do might be encouraged to read the whole book.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  6. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I might be wrong cos I often am but wasn't Sherlock Holmes & a lot of Charles Dickins published as a day o day story?

7. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I used to love reading but depression exacerbated by some stress and anxiety badly affected my ability to focus. :(