Do you need to change the way you dress for work?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Reiabuzz, Apr 12, 2018.

1. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

It's always delightful to see my colleagues out of work, cus I have no idea of their personal style till then.

PippinTook likes this.
  2. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

Wear totally different at work and home. Jeans and jumper or t-shirt at home. Smart dress, jewellery, tights, (small) heels at work. I'm surrounded by suits and ties type in my immediate office, is better elsewhere. No jeans though.

3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Yeah, the very naughty kids club. School for those excluded from mainstream. Generally we're a last resort before home schooling (which is a joke btw, probably not what you think home schooling is at all).

And the very naughty kids are, virtually to a child, the products of broken homes and poverty. The sons and daughters of heroin addicts, heroin dealers, burglars, single parent families and no parent families. Which is why I'm not so quick to write off criminals because I see another human side to the situation to which 'fuck 'em' has consequences.

A380, bimble, PippinTook and 4 others like this.
  4. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

yes - uniform provided - shit suit and shit shirts

5. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Another uniform wearer here - trackies, trainers and polo shirt, gilet and nasty jacket thing with embroidered logo. I dont wear the nasty jacket thing because well, its nasty:rolleyes:

My second job is also uniform. Funnily enough thats trackies, tshirt and hoodie, all logoed.

Comfy and practical for what i do but not what I'd wear out of choice.

6. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

So back to the original question. What kind of premium, salary wise, do you place on wearing wtf you want? 20% for me. I dress like a bum on the weekend and I don’t want to smarten up my act Monday to Friday.

In saying that I’m currently sitting in a pub calming myself down after splashing out 70 quid on a new pair of jeans to try to look as cool as the little 25yo fuckers they keep hiring.

PippinTook and mx wcfc like this.
  7. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Far too simplistic. It does form part of the equation - but that's also because of the ethos of a workplace with an unnecessarily restrictive dress code isn't going to be a good fit with my personality.

equationgirl and PippinTook like this.
  8. iona

iona toxic clown

...until you cut your hair off and it takes months of stabbing yourself in the back of the head with a biro to eventually lose the habit. Not such a great idea then :facepalm::mad:

Celyn likes this.
  9. iona

iona toxic clown

I either wear trackies, t-shirt & hoody or black jeans, t-shirt and proper shirt unbuttoned over the top depending on how smart I feel like being. Always trainers but which pair depends on the clothes (they're all falling apart atm but some look scruffier than others).

Only voluntary work and no uniform/dress code but we're expected not to wear anything obviously dirty, smelly etc since we're working around food and the public.

I wore scrubs and crocs for my last paid job. Scrubs are basically pyjamas :cool:

10. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Dress code is smart casual, no jeans or logos. The smart casual is taken in so many different directions by people but higher up the chain it does mean suits/dresses.

I really struggle to find work clothes as places like Next don’t really sell anything I want to wear & I don’t want to spend too much money. I have a few items in rotation & in past year started wearing black Converse shoes which are very plain & comfy and probably stretching the dress code.

Re % of salary no way I would give up anywhere near 20%. Prob more like 2-3%. I’m ok with having a work me & non work me.

11. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

I work in health but in a non uniform team but work closely with others in uniform. Jewellery & make-up is minimal & folk dress for long days & comfort so the non work version is always a lovely surprise.

12. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

My current job is the first place I've worked with a dress code - we're a membership organisation for a fairly conservative profession, so we have a lot of people coming through the building and are expected to look smart, though they're not too bothered about a few people who are always pretty casual and generally aren't 'customer facing'. I don't mind it, though it has meant my wardrobe becoming a bit more boring over the last five years, and in the last few years I've realised I've got mature (I won't say 'old'!) enough that I think I look a bit severe in smart clothes if I don't have any makeup on, so I put on a small amount of it every day except casual Fridays.

13. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

No hi viz your not getting fed. Which makes sense at night in a place with vehicles and no street lighting and everyone wearing camouflage. Still the yanks have no common sense so even in the middle of the day not wearing hi viz belts becomes a crime.

A380 likes this.
  14. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

As a graduate student I occupy a position somewhere between work and perpetual student-hood. Not only don't I have to dress smart, I don't even have to go into the office if I don't feel like it.

In my previous job I had to wear business casual for years, never felt comfortable in it.

15. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Bastards at work have a very strict dress code when I’m working off site. I really resent it; would much rather wear a kaftan and flip flops.

8CF4A704-D202-4A91-A69C-FFE1DF25F696.jpeg

Mation, PippinTook and equationgirl like this.
  16. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

I've had to buy a whole new work wardrobe for my current job, for multiple seasons across just a few months. Mostly from charity shops, or I couldn't afford to.

If ever I'm running late, it's because of wardrobe fail. My clothes cannot be see-through (even a bit), or too close-fitting. If I have buttons on a shirt, I have to safety pin it up between the buttons. Nothing higher than a couple of inches below the knee.

It's part official dress code and part self-preservation, as a woman working in a men's prison.

The heatwave has been really bloody difficult!

A380 likes this.
  17. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Oooh I forgot the hot weather uniform... SHORTS, polo shirt and trainers, flip flops if I can get away with it

equationgirl and PippinTook like this.