1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like noise?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Left, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Left

Left aimless

Noise can mean anything from pure noise artists like Merzbow, rock groups like Lightning Bolt, industrial stuff like Throbbing Gristle, electro-acoustic improvisers like Keith Rowe, avant-garde composers like Iannis Xenakis, drone bands like Sunn O))), to "sound artists", found sound, natural and industrial sounds, etc - basically anything more concerned with timbre than conventional melody and harmony.

Do you love it? Do you like some of it? Are you ambivalent towards it or do you strongly dislike it?

2. cdg

cdg Died To Death Banned

I don't like noise at half 8 on a Sunday morning. Fact.

3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Of course, i enjoy it's ambiguity, you mean like this ->

BBBlood

Knotted, Left and mao like this.
  4. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

5. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Turn on the dishwasher.
    The electric can opener.

6. mao

mao I'm totally wired

Left likes this.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

wanking yourself off with a socket wrench imo

8. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I don't want to listen to much of that stuff at home but live is another matter - of those bands, Lightening Bolt and Sunn O))) have done two of the best gigs I've been to in the last few years. Both very different to each other but both really visceral and captivating

9. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Yes.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i agree about their gigs, i definitely wouldn't class either of those bands as noise though.... they have songs!!

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

This is noise ( and a good tune too):

12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I like some noise.

This is my noise fanzine:
    [​IMG]
    PM me if you want one.

13. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Tending more towards ambient noise like Organum and Nocturnal Emissions at the moment.

But also newer stuff like this:

14. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Doesn't really float my boat. I can appreciate the intention of challenging the listener to reassess what they consider to be music or even using different frenquencies to cause mental disturbance but the more extreme end (like Whitehouse) has me reaching for the off button after about 3 minutes. I can't imagine putting it on when having a few people around for some food and a drink or two.

15. TruXta

TruXta tired

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yes I like some of it. Maybe not the purest, most relentless stuff and I struggle with high-pitched screechy noise but I enjoy a lot of stuff with noise elements.

17. killer b

i don't think many people can tbh. it's for solo listening or gigs imo.

seeformiles and Fozzie Bear like this.
  18. TruXta

TruXta tired

A Merzbow dinner party would certainly be different.

mojo pixy likes this.
  19. killer b

i have dido's 'white flag' for when we have people round for wine & olives. :cool:

Enviro likes this.
  20. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah, it's a bit of an odd criticism really. If you've got people round you want something everyone can enjoy a bit that's not too intrusive, mostly. I wouldn't be breaking out the metal, techno, gabba, drum n bass etc either but I still enjoy them all.

21. Knotted

This is latest pure noise thing I've bought (about a year ago:( ). David Myer's feedback machines. Review and small sample. It's striking stuff, reminds me of early classical electronica - Poem Electronique, Louis & Bebe Barron etc. The sheer fascination of this new fangled abstract noise.

22. Knotted

Once a couple of friends came round and I got them meditating to AMM. I often forget that what's going through my mind isn't always going through everybody else's... They were very tolerant.

Damn. Forgot to say on the other thread - Cornelius Cardew day 29th December 2001 Conway Hall was possibly the best "gig" I've been to. AMM doing some sort of Buddhist inspired improv (fantastic delicate stuff), Scratch Music Orchestra playing the Great Learning, some his Maoist songs about smashing the social contract and elaborating the Marxist-Leninist position on Ireland...

23. Knotted

Not my favourite comedian but Stewart Lee's alright in my book. How many did you get?
    And now...
    Derek and the Ruins:

24. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I like some of it, I love a small amount of it. Can take or leave a significant minority of it after a couple of proper (immersive) listens.

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I think that CD was released by Editions Mego, just after they released their fridge compressor noises album.

26. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

'Making orange things' has a special place in my heart. Check out 'meta abuse'. Lovely stuff.

27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I like noisy music, but not just noise for its own sake. Melody is the heart of music, if you're not bothered about melody you're not a musician.

28. Left

Left aimless

That's silly
    Plenty of great musicians and musical styles don't emphasise melody
    And your definition of melody may be too narrow

Enviro likes this.
  29. Left

Left aimless

Very impressive. I don't understand his comedy but I can't fault his taste in music. I heard he's a big Cecil Taylor fan.
    I got 5.

Never heard that before, it's brilliant!

30. TruXta

TruXta tired

Tell that to John Cage.

billy_bob likes this.