1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider yourself an audiophile?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Doctor Carrot, Apr 5, 2010.

?

Are you an audiophile?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

98 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

No, but used a few for playing music and movies. AV amps, minidsp, anti mode dual core etc.

2. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Always good to change the speaker cables with every record.

Libertad and Nylock like this.
  3. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

no, sounds too much like paedophile anyways, the scope for mishearing is large.

4. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I don't use twin and earth, but I am using lengths of two core flex, foraged from an old drill. :D
    I don't know whether to laugh, cry or get angry at these idiots.

Nylock and pesh like this.
  6. Saul Goodman

I'm not sure the similarity is unintentional. :hmm:

7. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Pilate questioned truth. You?

8. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

Not as expensive as their £49k active 6-way speakers... :thumbs:

9. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Does that lid come off to reveal angels playing the instruments inside? It should for the price.

10. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Pilate questioned truth. You?

No - and at the original selling price you might have every right to expect such a thing. I'm not sure that it is still in production as Linn decided to adopt and support streamimg rather than CD.

I did hear it play - and it was certainly an experience to do so. Was it worth the price tag - that is another question!

11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

spitfire likes this.
  12. spitfire

spitfire scouting party

"ateliers" - really? lol

Have to be honest though I'd like to give them a listen. See if they even half way live up to the blurb.

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Wish we had actual audiophiles on here so they could get twitchy about this...

h89JgMj.jpg

:D

danski, Enviro, Lazy Llama and 2 others like this.
  14. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

I hope that was oxygen-free solder! :O

Also...awwww, it looks like they're hugging.

Fez909 likes this.
  15. Saul Goodman

I'm sure there will be some but they won't come out for fear of ridicule.
    They only post their shite on audiophool forums, where 'like-minded people' big them up for spending 500 quid on a set of cables.

Fez909 likes this.
  16. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that. Couldn't even hurt anyone. :thumbs:

Fez909 likes this.
  17. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

I bet it gives a very 'airy' and 'spacious' sound ;)

Idaho likes this.
  18. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

In terms of acoustic drums it's often more to do with the tuning rather than how expensive they are. Although inevitably the quality usually goes up with the price. A 500 quid set of drums can easily sound as good as a 5000 quid set.

Now cymbals are slightly different, but you can still get some cheapies that sound great. But then people like the percieved 'betterness' of more expensive gear, as well as the fact they are nicer to look at.

Then again, didn't Kurt Cobain use shitty old squier guitars and not the expensive fender American equivalents? Fair enough, he wasn't playing jazz, but it sounded good to my ears. And here's the rub, if it sounds good to you, it sounds good.

Christ, loads of people on here like dance music, but most of it's like pulling teeth to me, though it's not to say it sounds shit if you know about it. Although it does mainly sound shit. :thumbs:

19. Saul Goodman

Fender guitars are overpriced and overrated.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  20. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

I'm sure that's true in many cases, just as Gibson SG's generally sound scratchy and shit. Unless in certain circumstances.

I do often think that even a cheap guitar set up properly can sound better than an expensive one in the right hands. Hell, the quality of most cheap instruments these days is amazing even compared with even a decade ago. I suspect that an encore strat for 75 quid would probably blow Jimi Hendrix's mind in terms of sound and quality compared to a late 60s equivalent of the real thing.

21. Saul Goodman

I know people who have bought genuine Fenders that needed more neck and fret work than the Chinese rip-offs that cost 1/10th the price.

Rosemary Jest likes this.