Do you consider yourself an audiophile?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Doctor Carrot, Apr 5, 2010.

?

Are you an audiophile?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

98 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

If you are genuinely interested in helping to improve the quality of lossy codecs, then a good place to submit your ABX results would be to Hydrogen Audio
    Hydrogenaudio Forums
    Many developers of codecs (both lossy and lossless) post there, and would be interested in claims supported by evidence, so they can continue to refine the various codecs.

2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I'll take a look.

Though not sure of the point of improving lossy codecs. The benefits they offer i.e. smaller file size are becoming increasingly irrelevant as the ability to store and steam data improves.

What's the point when they can, at best, come increasingly close to lossless quality? May as well go lossless. At worst you'll perceive no improvement, and, at best, might (even if, in some cases, that's a placebo).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  3. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

The main reason for using the lossy codecs is because they are easier to stream (using much less bandwidth). The point of improving the codecs is so that they can eliminate some of the edge cases. Think of the improvements made to MP3 encoding since the original Fraunhofer version - modern versions such as LAME do a much better job of producing transparent encodings.

4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand the point. But the problem they 'solve' is becoming less and less significant. Increasingly, we can stream more data, more quickly and more cheaply. And the improvements in mp3 are becoming more marginal the closer they get to lossless quality.

5. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

The fact that they have improved in leaps and bounds, while still managing to be making very efficient use of bandwidth is no reason to stop improving them. Many people still rely on dial-up speeds or 2g/3g mobile connections, so bandwidth is still a concern. When we get to the point where everyone has a reliable fast cheap internet connection, and masses of storage on their mobile devices, then lossy codecs will no longer matter.

6. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Won't be long.

7. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

hmmm
    OSSIC X: The first 3D audio headphones calibrated to you

badseed likes this.
  8. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

How do you measure immersion?

Chemical needs likes this.
  9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Only audiophiles know the answer, and they won't divulge it to mere mortals.

10. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

In $

11. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

I like how they say
    How would the artist have known these amazing 3D headphones were going to be invented when they were listening to their mix in the studio?

12. Saul Goodman

It's an audiophile buzzphrase, which has as much clout as 'chocolatey undertones', when used to describe the distortion added by valves.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  13. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

i heard that in a headphone review...
    sounds pretty racist if you ask me.

14. Saul Goodman

Sounds like audiophile bullshittery to me... but equally abhorrent as any racist remark.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  15. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I think you may have got carried away with your own hyperbole, there!

16. Saul Goodman

Not really... It's impossible to reason with racists or audiophiles. They're both bullshitters, full of their own self-importance/worth, and I know that at some stage I'll either have to walk away from them or give them a slap.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  17. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Wow. The really amazing bit of that is that by separating the three cores of the cable they will be greatly reducing the entire point of having a balanced connection. Anyone buying that will be paying thousands of pounds to have a worse connection than a £10 mic cable from Maplins.

Idaho, BigTom and Chemical needs like this.
  19. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

Under the lid of your components the interconnects are soldered to the circuit board via some generic 1.0mm copper.
    Exhibit A

From the official website for a Naim audio streamer (£3.5K)- NAC-N 272 | Naim Audio

[​IMG]

Fez909, danski, BigTom and 1 other person like this.
  20. Saul Goodman

Audiophiles don't care. They only care about the bits on show, the bits they can show to their friends and declare "I paid £18,000 for that piece of wire"

Basically, audiophiles are a bunch of cunts with delusions of grandeur.

Purdie and Libertad like this.
  21. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Obsessed Audiophiles in Japan Are Installing Their Own Utility Poles for Better Sound Quality | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
    :thumbs:

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

23. beesonthewhatnow

For fucks sake :D

24. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

His wife, on the other hand, couldn’t tell the difference. “It’s completely beyond my understanding,” 57-year-old Reiko said. “But if I take it away from him, he will lose the motivation to live.” :thumbs:

Chemical needs and skyscraper101 like this.
  25. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

I just love this thread :D

Enviro and skyscraper101 like this.
  26. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

As a mate said "there's 2 types of people, 1 that likes music, the other that likes stereos".

27. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

Ive always liked reading this occasional thread. There seem to be an awful lot of naysayers who base their opinion on, Its too expensive, It will never work without showing any evidence to back up their opinions

28. beesonthewhatnow

What this thread actually has is a lot of people who understand basic physics.

29. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

Yeah basic physics I'll grant you. However when people rubbish product on here, they never seem to analyse it in a scientific manner

30. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

Lets take the last two products mentioned on the thread, an individual utility pole and a set of XLR interconnects. You state that the latter are " a worse connection than a £10 mic cable from Maplin". How did you arrive at this opinion (bear in mind I am not talking value for money but rather basic physics)