1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you care about the paralympics as much as the olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by strung out, Sep 4, 2008.

1. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

One of the posters Added: Saturday, 6 September, 2008, 19:45 GMT 20:45 UK

It's like some sick comedy watching wheelchairs racing round the final bend. In fact in reality they are not proper wheelchairs as the majority of truly disabled people have to endure. These "paralympians" should face up to reality and accept their disabilities instead of trying to be something they're not.

John, London

What a fucking loon...yeah once your injured that's it, life over sit in a flat for 30 years and accept that you are useless...what a cunt:mad:

2. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

i dont' even know what this is...is it for paralyzed people? or is it like a pseudo-olympics?

3. extra dry

people who are disabled, wheelchairs, blind, one arm or leg etc....gives hope to loads of people who are disabled that life doesn't end if your in a wheelchair or lose a limb/sight/hearing...just as valid as the Olympics.

4. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

ah yes i see, over here they call it the special olympics. i think its a good cause

5. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

That's a bit condescending imo, if you're sporty then go for it. If you're not then fuck ya.

6. extra dry

I mean it in a bigger picture sort of way..ie you don't give up on something just because your deaf or in a wheelchair.

7. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I just looked on BBC sport to see the results.

Sod all there :(

8. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

9. Wilf

Wilf Aghast.

10. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

More in some ways, i know one of the paralympic rowing squad and bump into another one of them every now and again. They race tomorrow!

11. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

no as much hipe now I did understand why unablebodyed games was not on same time as ablebodyed. Why the closing games :hmm:

I see the two woman cycles on a tandem, Lady on the back has poor site.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

3rd in medals table, 1 gold behind US and China...

13. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Yeah.

Day 2 and 14 medals already including a gold by a 13 year old swimmer. :)

14. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

If it was part of the olympics I might care

15. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

Amazing that! 13, she was totally surprised by it apparently, was working towards 2012 :)

16. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

It isn't her strongest distance either. :)

17. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

Watched an American midget beat a Chinese woman with no arms into second place in the backstroke on Sunday morning when getting back from the pub. Sorry but it was funny as fuck.

18. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I'm watching wheelchair basketball - Geat stuff
    Murderball - these guys don't mess:D

19. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

57 medals so far. 27 of which are gold. :)

Gold for the punk. :cool:

20. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

have you seen that guy who runs the 100m with no legs? that's mental

21. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

1. China 63 46 32 141
    2. Great Britain 35 30 29 94
    3. Canada 28 19 25 72
    4. United States 27 22 39 88
    5. Australia 26 38 36 100
    6. Ukraine 24 12 19 55
    7. Spain 20 27 24 71
    8. Germany 19 28 32 79
    9. France 18 26 30 74
    10. Japan 17 15 20 52

22. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

To all the people who said they cared about the PAralympics as much as the Olympics you are a bunch of nobheads. We beat America, Russia, France and Spain and that is probably the only time we've beaten all of them at once for about 100 years, and we did it abraod which is even more likely, so how come you aren't making a fuss

23. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

We beat all those countries in 2004 and 2000. So it's probably because we've come second in the Paralympics medals table three times in a row now - with a similar number of golds. It's a great performance, but it's not a shock - it was on target.

Having said that, big kudos to the various sporting bodies promoting disabled sport in the UK - they must be doing something very very right, and they've been doing it for a long time now.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I care not for either....

So about the same amount of care I guess :)

25. Descartes

Descartes Active Member

The achievement by all the atheletes in both of the Olympics should be recognised, the Paralympics reflects a caring society, willing to extend facilities and research to aid the disabled.

The joy and excitement mirrored in the faces of the paralympic atheletes is a compliment to all, participants, sponsors, trainers, coaches and the thousands who donated time and cash to help.

Well done and let's kick butt in 2012.

To all the Brit Olympic field and track atheletes, ... the only worth while comment Must try harder.