Do we all love The Oh Sees?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Stanley Edwards, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I do.

There has been a thread here before - it was my intro. They fucking well rock like rock hasn't rocked for over 20 years. Brilliant. Listen to this. Then Youtube 'Dead man's Hand'. Coolest mothers on the planet ATM.

2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

not really

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Stanley Edwards

:confused:

How?

They are pure rock genius.

4. Stanley Edwards

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's not like I've listened to their every track. there is probably some good stuff there.
    I am just not keen on the "goodtime party rock" thing I get from them. I dunno. It might be just because they are so popular.

6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It's not like I thnk they're shit, they are very close to something I'd totally love, but there is something about it that just stops me loving it.

7. Stanley Edwards

I really wish they were more popular. It isn't just about music - they aren't simply party rock. "What's going on over there?". They have a political agenda also. Goodtime party rock is possibly the best way (as it ever was) to wake up young minds to how their future World may work.

They are 100% cool mother fuckers.

rutabowa likes this.
  8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh they are pretty huge for that kind of music! Possibly more as a live act than their record sales tho (they put out faaar too many records too, I reckon that is another thing that has stopped me getting in to them)

9. Stanley Edwards

Numbers count these days. More songs, more listens, more chance of a bit of money.

Dead Man's Gun official video has just 100,000 views. They are prolific in recording songs. That is their approach. They are in no way work shy. I love them lots for showing me values I thought the young folk had forgotten. Rock and roll values :)

Dead Man's Gun video deserves 100,000,000 views. They could could get enough to live on for a year from that. As it is, they are rocking for a cause.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I would definitely encourage other people to give them a listen tho ha, don't take my word for it

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

AS for this tho, there are still tons of bands doing the same kind of thing in the same kind of spirit as thee oh sees so there is plenty more out there. see this thread: Rock and roll death watch

12. Stanley Edwards

Nah. I'm not reading that thread. It stinks of the current U75 doomsaying crap.

If someone put a daily list of new rock to listen to, I would almost certainly read it and listen to it. Rock and Roll is never going to die. The listeners are mortal mind.

13. Stanley Edwards

14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I just noticed your other band threads, have you just got spotify after a long period without being in touch with any contemporary music by any chance? it is no bad thing just there is so much more out there and you seem to think these few bands are the last bastions or something!
    mm yeh that thread is almost exactly what you desire.

15. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Flameproof Moth is better tbf

rutabowa likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Perhaps ruddy yurts' best song

twentythreedom likes this.
  17. twentythreedom

I've only heard the 2 Unlimited remix of it, but it's definitely got a good melody :thumbs::hmm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i quite like him but I don't see any similarity in any way between the 2 acts tbh!

twentythreedom likes this.
  19. twentythreedom

Me neither, but I like FM better. Arbitrary subjective comparison ftw :thumbs:

20. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

Depressing music and videos: what a mess

21. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I love thee Oh Sees .

22. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I really really love them.

kalidarkone likes this.
  23. Stanley Edwards

:D Sort of. Just invested in decent headphones. Looking for stuff I haven't heard before. Most coming from YouTube suggestions rather than Spotify. I do have an aversion to 'you may also like...' suggestions, so prefer to look for stuff on web forums others are shouting about.

I think a Weekly New Releases thread here would be a very nice thing. Only recently discovered Thee Oh Sees, and fucking well love them. A weekly thread here would have introduced me much sooner, I'm sure.

24. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

This thread is pretty much that: Album Recommendations 2018

25. clandestino

I'm amazed at the phrase "good time party rock" being used to describe the Oh Sees. I've never thought of them like that - although I guess I understand where you're coming from. There was a point where they were seen as the hipster party band, I suppose, but there was still tons more to them than that.

The great thing about them is that they cover a range of styles while keeping their own identity - so their songs go from hushed folk to prog metal. There's loads of great stuff to discover in their back catalogue but I agree that it initially seems daunting.

Anyway...have a listen to this party banger!

Stanley, lots of people who like the Oh Sees also like King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard. They're not my thing - more of a Hawkwind vibe - but you might like them too.

26. clandestino

My current favourite is this glam stomper.

kalidarkone likes this.
  27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Not at all.

28. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Me too - as for "rocking for a cause." - bleugh.

clandestino likes this.
  29. clandestino

That Dead Man's Gun video is really gruesome though - the kind of thing that would have put me off them.

The video for Minotaur - the song I posted the audio for above - is much better.

30. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to sweet delight