1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I want to get Windows 10?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Stanley Edwards, Feb 11, 2016.

?

Win10?

1. yAH.

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. nAH.

40 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It used to be that you bought a new computer and the manufacturer had filled it full of pre-installed shit and you reinstalled windows to get rid of it. Now it seems you have to spend a couple of hours getting rid of the shit that comes with windows itself.

3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

The latest Windows 10 update seems to have made Cortana a lot more intrusive. I'd been happy just ignoring it, but now it is actively annoying me. I've tried turning off everything I can find, but it's still there doing stuff. How do I get rid?

4. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

What's it doing? I found all the pop-up and demands to use onedrive as annoying enough to get rid of it last time round, I was going to give creators update a go but not if they've managed to make cortana even more annoying.

5. danny la rouge

Well, for example notifications are popping up telling me things I might want to do based on things it thinks I like doing. I hate this sort of thing. I've turned off the notifications.But that's just a surface thing, right? It's still there doing its thing.

There used to be a thing that allowed you to choose "stop getting to know me", this update seems to have removed that option. So now I want to get rid of it entirely, but can't see how to turn all off.

6. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

I don't remember (which is bugger all use to you), but it can be done. I killed it when I got W10, and it's never come back.

toblerone3 likes this.
  7. danny la rouge

Yeah, I've had 10 for ages. But this is a new update. Arrived yesterday.

8. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with linux on my main machine then.

9. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

Ah. Hasn't got to me then.

10. danny la rouge

My advice right now would be deny if you can.

11. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. Banned

My Win10 laptop has just started quitting suddenly. Insisting on a restart.

Despite the spec's being well above what Microsoft recommend, I have never managed to successfully install an entire update. About 2 years old now, perhaps a bit more. Generally trouble free give, or take a few minor irritations, but now it just shutdowns for absolutely no reason.

I will pay for a RAM upgrade. If that fails, I quit Windows forever.

12. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I doubt that's the case. There's always a reason.

13. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

I think Microsoft made it more difficult to kill Cortana after last years Anniversary update. This page dates from last July after the original opt out switch had been removed. Can't try it out myself because Cortana was dead to me before she'd even run once, but it looks ok

Killing Cortana: How to disable Windows 10's info-hungry digital assistant - PC World

Obviously you will lose some functionality

danny la rouge and Lazy Llama like this.
  14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I read a couple of blogs that showed you how to disable Cortana but still keep the search functionality from post this 'creators update' but the method also involves editing the registry so not for everyone. Quick Google should find instructions if you do want to try.

15. danny la rouge

That looks just the job, cheers. The functionality I'll lose is stuff I don't like or want anyway.

:)

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Man Windows 10 runs like a slug on 4gb of ram.

Bought new Laptop with Windows 10 installed.
    Spent a day stripping all the crap out of it (HP crap, trial this and that) and it was still slow with the bare bones.
    Cortana is now intrusively embedded.

M$ need to learn to fuck off and let us choose our own software. Windows is a fucking operating system. Stick to being a fucking operating system.

UnderAnOpenSky and classicdish like this.
  17. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Dunno what you guys are doing, but if your able to, do a clean install and start from scratch.

The only Lenovo tool I install on my laptop is the one that auto updates drivers and firmware. Mainly because it's easier than manually downloading every driver after a fresh install.

I run Win10 VMs on my laptop and give them 3GB of RAM and they work fine.

Can't say i find Cortana being intrusive either, but maybe it remembers settings as I log in with my Microsoft account, which means when I blow away my laptop every so often a lot of my settings get restored without me having to do it manually.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  18. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Trying to upgrade my Win7 laptop to Win10. Keep getting error 0x blah. Search that and Microsoft give you a whole page of crap with such useful suggestions as try uninstalling all non essential software. The usual shit with Windows errors. We don't know, try all these teadious disruptive things.. Try everything.

If it doesn't work this time, staying on Win7. I'll probably want a new laptop come 2020 when security updates stop anyway.