Do I have to provide a birth certificate for my child to be able to start school?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Thora, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Just curious really. I don't remember having to produce a birth certificate for my oldest to start school 4 years ago but I am being nagged to bring my 4 year olds one into school.

Can they actually refuse him a school place in September if I don't show it?

2. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

It's all coming on top now?

Give the child back to it's real parents and you can still might get away with it

A380, Manter, Schmetterling and 6 others like this.
  3. Thora

It's too late for that now :eek:

4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

They think you're trying to palm off a two year old for free childcare!

nogojones likes this.
  5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Is it not to do with the school proving the numbers and age of children attending so they can get proper funding? I definitely had to bring a birth certificate for all of mine but maybe it's different in Scotland.

6. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Immigration enforcement.

Manter and polly like this.
  7. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

Depends on the school/local authority, we don't have to for no 2.

8. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

Standard practice over here, schools use the info to help get funding for ESOL support.

9. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

It’s to do with immigration I think. They tried it at my sons primary when they were in about year 5. ‘Everyone’ was asked, but it wasn’t actually everyone’s they were interested in. A group of parents got together and most people refused the request. My kids went to school in an area with a lot of kids of different nationalities, do yours?

Manter and polly like this.
  10. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I think it may be this and iirc there's been a lot of resistance.

11. 8115

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

13. 8115

14. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I did for J and that was about 15 years ago. I think it was more about her age than her nationality, plus that I was her parent.

Did anyone register their kids at a school without any proof of who they and their kids were? I'd find that a bit weird, TBH. Otherwise a separated parent without custody could take the kid away and register the kid at a school.

treefrog likes this.
  15. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Yeah, no one asked to see either of my kids' birth certificates.

16. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

Ours neither.

17. Thora

I don't think you have to have custody to register your child with a school, just parental responsibility.

When I moved Theo from one school to another (as we moved house) I applied online and I don't remember having to prove who either of us were. I might have forgotten though.

18. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Yeah, there might be some online process that means the birth cert is isn't usually necessary. (I don't remember either).

But I don't think it's excessively onerous to ask for a birth cert upon registration. As long as they give you some time to get one if you've lost it.