Do angry vegans turn you against going vegan?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Watermelon Man, Jul 10, 2017.

1. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

On this subject...this fella may be of interest to you if you haven't heard of him before...

The Vegan Strategist - boldly going where no vegan has gone before

Watermelon Man likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No idea what you're on about, sorry. The ban was in response to several reports about a post.

3. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Fair enough.

I’d assumed you’d looked at the offending post, so just trying to avoid similar pitfalls.

If this was nothing to do with puncturing the thin skin of the perpetually priapic pugnacious then I’ll won’t persist in prying and step back from the prepuce.

Precipice, I mean.

mojo pixy and Spymaster like this.
  4. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

[​IMG]

5. Watermelon Man

Watermelon Man Active Member

Thanks. I'll have a look when I get a chance. Back to my comment on JA. People can be vegan for just one reason. Health, environment, animals, anti capitalism, feminism.

There are people like myself who are vegan for many different reasons. Health, animals, environment, ethics, fellow human health, anti capitalism.

The whole levels of veganism and branding "vegans" as "not being vegans" sits uncomfortable with me.

JA is a top man but it struck me that he was being a little judgemental there. If someone is vegan to reverse their heart disease..awesome. I don't see any positive outcome of telling them they are not vegan according to your own definition. Sure, if they are decked out in fur and leather, i can understand the plant based tag then...

6. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. Watermelon Man

What are you talking about?

8. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

I thought it was the carnists who were fragile...

mojo pixy likes this.
  9. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Carnists.

Short-term memory issues, the lot of ‘em.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't note the diets of those reporting the posts.

11. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I should maybe report a few posts, there are plenty on this thread cunting me off. Even in the last few pages. But as a non-vegan such insults are no doubt justified. And I'm hardly a fragile flower, sorry about that.

Actually the very idea of grown adults reporting any of the puerile stuff on this thread hurts my head a little. Especially when the reports are probably coming from posters who've posted worse than what they're reporting.

12. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Hard to tell without a full food audit, but there may have been clues.

Were the posters robustly relaxed and good-humoured? Possibly extremely masculine in a way that made you envious of their sexual magnetism and unflappability when standing up for the oppressed? Was there any aura of a significant trouser bulge?

Did you have a sudden urge to smoke them a kipper, then feel shame at your disregard for the sentience of herring?

Not wanting to pry, obv.

13. Watermelon Man

Sympathies with those burning with the sense of injustice.

Welcome to our world.

Remember, the animals didn't want to die or be enslaved or have their bits interfered with to make them pregnant again in the name of ££££.

14. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Amen, brother!!!!

:D

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

In the case of PETA types I reckon they can last indefinitely on account of nobody wanting to go anywhere near their genitals or any other part of them.

16. PaoloSanchez

looool,
    tbf, I'm not sure what the ban was for. If it was for "get your cock out" then that doesn't seem to be worthy of a ban. Having said that the idiot that was banned has been persistently have digs and goading since forever and continued to tag yer man even though he asked him to stop. (harrassment?) I can't think of a single positive contribution that he made to this thread.

17. PaoloSanchez

A post mortem on "Februdairy"...

...reminded me of this gem...

Watermelon Man likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Opera Buffa and krtek a houby like this.
  19. tompinch

tompinch Banned Banned

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Did you find it easy to buy vegan burgers in the big supermarkets 30 years ago? How about restaurants? Did you think there were many vegan options on the menu in the 90s?

21. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I’m struggling to think what happened around 1987 in this area...

22. 8ball

8ball Up to something

23. tompinch

tompinch Banned Banned

Who cares?

Why do vegans want a burger anyway?

To most people “burger” means “meat patty”.

24. 8ball

8ball Up to something

The markets care. Quite a lot of industry buzz at the moment. People looking to reduce meat intake as the pendulum swings back from low carb/high protein and Paleo.
    Plus baking is all but over.

“Flexitarian” is where it’s at right now.

xenon likes this.
  25. tompinch

tompinch Banned Banned

Which markets?

RubyBlue likes this.
  26. Watermelon Man

Going back 3 years or even 3 months, it's very different. A friend produces vegan guide books around London and he is struggling to keep up with the constant expansion.

Veganism is a win all round. Win for your body, for the animals, for increased peace, for a world where EVERYBODY eats, better environment and of course stronger erections.

Re world hunger why do we feed animals to feed humans (to make humans sick) when there are humans starving. That makes no sense to me.

It's great that veganism is mainstream but there's a long long way to go.

27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

Pls engage brain before posting as explaining simple things, like the speed and convenience of burgers of all sorts, quickly palls.

NoXion likes this.
  28. 8ball

8ball Up to something

They seemed to be attempting a pretty convincing burger, which was good. And interesting that it’s Iceland doing it.

It’s more than just the speed and convenience. And lots of vegans like substitutes of various kinds.

I took “which markets?” as the signal to bow out with that one...

Pickman's model likes this.
  29. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

:(
    I've baked two cakes in the last three weeks. I've still got ingredients in the cupboard ffs, flour tastes shit by itself.

30. PaoloSanchez

I guess it all boils down to what you believe the defining feature of veganism is. I'm in total agreement with JA on this subject and I don't believe that he was being judgemental at all. I think there's a core foundational principle which many people miss and that is animal rights.

Of course if you don't give a shit about animals and you're only abstaining from animal products for "health reasons" then that does lessen the amount of animal suffering in the world, HOWEVER, the abstention of consuming animal products doesn't in and of itself guarantee health. You can be eating "vegan food" and still be unhealthy, and you can have animal products as part of your diet and be healthy. Equating vegan food with health is a bit of a misnomer, even though vegans DO tend to be healthier. (probably cos they're a bit smarter ;) ) They CAN be healthier than the average Joe, but it's not a given. In my opinion, it is the animal rights which gives veganism its anchor and is it's main strength. Without the animal rights, it's just a fkin fad diet and just as fickle as all the other diets.

So the bottom line is JA pointing this out to people who are unaware is not being judgemental.