DnB Legend Marcus Intalex is dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Orang Utan, May 28, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

2. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

RIP

I was listening to this tune just the other day

3. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

RIP Trevino

4. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Damn! :( RIP Intalex.

This tune just sums up driving back from a night locked into Kool or Rude...

5. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Shit, no :(

6. stethoscope

Still love this first tune from Intalex (with L Double)....

ska invita and sankara like this.
  7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

unbelievable...he can't have been 43?
    can't image what the cause of death. Would be surprised it was drugs.
    legend is absolutely right, in my book he saved DnB and took it where no one has taken it before. And some classic Jungle back in the day too

last year I met him at the bar of a club and gushed at him for a good half hour ... He was feeling quite down about The Scene, and I drunkenly banged on that DnB needs him!! and it was true....

He leaves the most solid back catalogue of any dnb producer as far as I'm concerned. If there's a new Marcus tune its buy on sight, no questions asked. Never missed. No exaggeration to say he will always be my favourite dnb producer.

tragic loss.....

8. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

shocking ...did a bit of work with him as Trevino, pleasure to deal with - RIP

(can't think of any other producer that so easily / convincingly switched from DnB to really impressive 4/4, and back again, apparently at will )

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Orang Utan and Mattym like this.
  9. ska invita

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

R.I.P.

The_Reverend_M and ska invita like this.
  11. ska invita

with a heavy heart ive done a mix and written down some words

Marcus Intalex – A Better Place – Tribute & Salute

Better Place
    Love and Happiness
    Lose Control
    Dreamworld
    Neptune
    Warp 1
    Second Thoughts
    Proof Rock
    Red 7
    Faceless
    Make a Raise
    Step Forward
    Cabal
    Temperance
    Meltdown
    Stark
    Celestial Navigation
    Bitter End
    Airborne

download link etc
    Mikus Musik: Marcus Intalex – A Better Place – Tribute & Salute

12. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

He was really great, seminal figure in D'n'B. Gave a lot of joy and inspiration to many. RIP :(

Nice words, tunes and memories ska invita :)

ska invita likes this.
  13. stethoscope

Nice words and looks a great selection mate, will check this later :cool:

14. stethoscope

@ska invita Forgot how damn good Love and Happiness is <3

ska invita likes this.
  15. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

heart attack apparently

ska invita likes this.
  16. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Innit - that 12" with Dreamworld on the flip has got to be one of my most played records. Absolute classic.

ska invita thanks for this mix. I had a little personal one last night which I didn't record and played a fair number of tunes you have included.

ska invita likes this.
  17. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Sad news :(

18. ska invita

The usual DnB formula goes: Intro>>>>1st Breakdown (no drums)>>>1st Drop (drum section)>>>>2nd Breakdown(no drums)>>>>2nd Drop (drum section)

A lot of lazy tunes pretty much just repeat 1st breakdown+drop in the second half...

Listening through a bunch of Marcus's tunes back to back theres one thing i notice he does so well which is the 2nd breakdown after the first drop really goes off on another level...melodic, stringy, spacey breakdowns, big build ups and variations which set up the second drop so well.

A lot of modern DnB gets mixed so fast because the 2nd half is the same as the 1st so why hang around? With Marucs's tunes you have to let them play as they properly build and go somewhere, especially through that 2nd breakdown section. The arrangements are on another level.

19. ska invita

Ive just uploaded this. Its the bollocks

Also this which i dont think was online before - its alright

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    twentythreedom and Orang Utan like this.
  20. ska invita

Angels Fall, by DRS, LSB

pieandmashfirm and ddraig like this.
  21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Tribute show on mi-soul with Bailey and others
    half hour left

22. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

This is a really nice mix, I wasn't as familiar as I should have been with his productions and this def shows how amazing his music is. It's like you say always very musical and rhythmically complex but with a light touch... like the best of the Bristol V stuff... and also very varied of course! Thanks for it, a great tribute for the man too.

ska invita, ddraig and braindancer like this.
  23. ska invita

nice one rutabowa, nice to know it comes across to fresh ears.

what's clear when you hear that influences mix of his posted above is he went down that path of Detroit techno to Chicago ( acid ) house to warp/bleep /proto jungle to dark n deep hardcore to dnb, and translated that road into his own music. not everyone who makes dnb had that journey, and of those who did no one managed to bring all that history in its purity into post-2000 dnb like he did.

In that respect he was a voice of a certain generation, people who were deep into 88 but stuck with (and love) dnb to the bitter end, ie today. Many people jumped ship early or got on the train late but to me he embodies that continuity. add a good dose of Manchester rain attitude and to me he captures a massive part of my own musical path and world view. will genuinely miss him

24. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Really enjoyed your mix ska - and the influences radio show you posted is an absolute blinder....

25. Orang Utan

that influences mix has some great stuff on it

danski and stethoscope like this.
  26. Orang Utan

Listened to the Intalex mix ska invita made, and have to admit, it's not my cup of tea - too smooth.
    His Trevino material is quality though

27. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Very sad. Always digged his stuff

28. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Gutted! He was a classy DJ. If you saw his name on a flyer, it was a guaranteed good night!

ska invita likes this.
  29. ska invita

horses for courses i guess...when i heard he was doing techno i got excited but the tracks ive heard I found a bit ploddy, but im not really into modern techno tbh - not really my thing....got any favourites? Despite that Ive heard a couple of his trevino/techno dj sets and they make good listening i thought

30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

See what you've become ska invita ? ;)