1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMC Online DJ Championship 2013-2017

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I was wondering if it (and other slickly produced videos of this nature) involve an element of post-production - like enhanced syncopation/quantising or some shit like.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    ska invita likes this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

msut be . he knows his routine, but there are cuts in the video and i can imagine a perfect master mix being done and then mimed to. either that or he's a terminator sent from the future to win denmarks DMC

3. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

That is amazing. But as you say, having cuts in the video is deeply suspicious..

Personally I think serato should be removed from DMC championships.. People make their own edits of tunes which dramatically makes it easier.

4. ska invita

even without the video cuts it just sounds toooo perfect///
    tbf, even with pre-edited tunes routines like these are something that requires a shit load of practice and talent - i could never do it in a million years...i dont mind the serato thing to be honest.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. ska invita

just listened again to try and find evidence of dodginess - i think heres one for starters:

check the scratch on deck 2 at 1.05, and then he moves to deck one for a new scratch at 1.12 - the sound of the second scratch starts before he moves himself over to the deck
    maybe

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Clearly not live due to the multiple camera cuts and angles.

edit: weird, there's been loads of replies since you posted that. they didn't show up for me at first.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

You'll never know if he's done the scratches himself based on this video as it's clearly not the sound from the recording. It can't be because the video contains multiple takes. The question is whether the mix was done live at some point or whether that's had additional production too (I think it has!)

8. ska invita

okay here he is live

he is very very very tight...but not as tight as that video

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  9. ska invita

what is it with the shit music these DMC younguns play though? What even is it?

10. Jeff Robinson

Just found an awesome pre-serato era set from DJ Slcye in 1999. Awesome beat juggling here:

ska invita likes this.
  11. ska invita

Stumbled on this - one of the best turntablism sets ive ever heard

12. Jeff Robinson

Winning set from this year:

Sounds like fucking trash. Turntablism was better 15 years ago when it had some funk to it:

grosun and ddraig like this.
  13. ska invita

impressive set though

14. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Is he using the computer?

15. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

looks like could be Serato or similar
    cheating!

16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

agree with Jeff
    my mate DJ Kaos could hammer him with real tunes

17. Jeff Robinson

This is some new turntablism I can get down with...

ddraig and Fez909 like this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

That was great :cool:

Jeff Robinson likes this.
  19. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

That's fucking good :)

Obvs filmed in his bedroom at home :cool:

20. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's very skillful, but it sounds a bit... well, shit. You can't dance to someone scratching as well as you can to a tune that's just left to play. But so many DJs are such egoists that they can't stand the idea of not imposing themselves for a whole three minutes. To me, the skill of a DJ is having a good box of tunes, knowing when to drop them, and mixing one into the other as seamlessly as possible. Not this racket! [/old man]

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Mixing seamlessly is not DJing. It's one aspect of DJing. You can be a good DJ without mixing at all.

Rutita1 and ddraig like this.
  22. Jeff Robinson

Turntablism is a totally different ball game to club DJing really. Turntablism is about the creative ways in which records can be manipulated live whereas club DJing is mainly about making people dance. Apples and oranges...

fishfinger and ddraig like this.
  23. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I know, I know. Not sure why I was quite so grumpy last night. And, in fairness, I love some of the great hip hop turntablists. But, there, it's part of something bigger; to my mind, just pure turntablism in isolation has very little appeal.

24. Jeff Robinson

tbh, I'd agree that a great deal of turntablism has lost its way these days: its got incredibly technical but it doesn't have the funk, the soul, the attitude that it had 15 or so years ago (its golden age was about 1997-2002 imo): a lot of it is bedroom nerds playing, for want of a better term, 'wankstep' with all the grace and delicacy of a dalek. Personally, I think the Jon1st Vadim routine I posted up was a healthy injection of soul back into the art form. He's also a really good club DJ who knows how to control a crowd...

25. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Yup. All very admirable, but I can't waver from the idyll that a DJ is there to make you dance. Not provide a load of nerds with snapbacks and trendy rucksacks jaw-to-the-floor moments of "wow they can do that" without questioning why they should (bother!). Most new DMC stuff (from what I've seen) also seems so "technical masterpiece" and completely lacks the innocent drama-filling of the OG roots of extending drops/breaks.

(this is just me saying I don't like it, entirely understand some do ofc ;)).

Of course there are people that can co both AND use new technology for real, value adding (sheet, did I really just say that?!), 3rd sound business...Bet you never thought UK garage could be techni-fied like this...:thumbs:

ddraig likes this.
  26. ska invita

Jeff Robinson likes this.
  27. Jeff Robinson

28. Jeff Robinson

Great footage of the late Rockraida practicing his DMC routine and getting feedback from his mates...

ska invita and ddraig like this.
  29. Jeff Robinson

30. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Craze is still the best turntablist of all time. On another level.