dj turntable help and Q&A

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by evildacat, Jan 14, 2017.

1. evildacat

evildacat bunchie‑santa.gif

Currently looking into adding to my DJ set up with adding a pair of decks. Have a lot of questions about turntables and vinyl so will separately to avoid mix up and confusion.

Right, on buying second hand decks. Would love to be able to get a pair of 1200's but the prices are insane - they are for most decks ATM. Have been looking at vestax of2000's, Stanton st8 150 and the t92 and the reloop and audio technica.
    Any opinions or owners can tell me about these please?

And looking at 'buy guide's ' where do they pull these mystical prices from ? Apparently you can still get a 1200 for £140! You just need to know where to look! And they never say except for eBay and those prices are way off.

Also any other decks people would recommend be happy to hear about. I won't go near numarks given there well deserved and earned stories of build quality and failures. I have 2 friends who have had numarks products die on them only a few years into their lives.

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Save to buy 1200's/1210's.

That's it.

mao, devit, Beats & Pieces and 3 others like this.
  3. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

What is your DJ set up so far? Do you actually need two decks? Only asking as I know a good few people that have gone a combo route of CD deck(s), laptop and then one deck, meaning they can mix and match between them.

What's your budget?

(Haha at a 1200 for £140! Maybe one that was dredged out of the Thames..)

Edit to add: Bees has got a point - they might be expensive, but once you've bought Technics, they never really go down in value and you'll never regret it. So maybe one at a time is the way forward.

sealion and ruffneck23 like this.
  4. evildacat

I don't need a pair cab do with one. Running 2 pioneer cdj2000NXS's with a Allen and Heath xone62.
    I was hoping to spend 2-300 obviously less would be nicer but just isn't realistic. Apart from the blatant fantasy land they pulled these guide prices from they do bring up some valid points on other mixers as options other than the technics.
    Would you suggest when I can afford a second to get different make or always gave a matching pair?

5. evildacat

I know all the info I will ever need to know about these decks and more, there is a reason why world class and famous DJ's suggest others and would like to hear about them.

Also recommendations for decks up-to 100 if such a thing exists, then up-to 300 which is the range I'm hoping to be at then above that price range.

6. Private Storm

If I've read this correctly, if I were in your shoes, I'd buy a Technics 1200/1210 deck and incorporate that into my setup. Then, if I found that one wasn't enough and I needed two, I'd save up and get another one when I could.

Having a matching pair of decks is nowhere near essential and in fact, probably helps out if you are ever presented with two random decks when you've turned up to DJ somewhere (but I'd still try to buy a pair of Technics!). If you NEED two decks, but two Technics are out of the question, then one Technics and "A N Other" is not a terrible approach. Technics are ridiculously solid and reliable....but this makes no difference if you're forced to DJ on different decks when out and about.

7. evildacat

I don't NEED a turntable but would like at least one into my setup so I have more options open to me.

I really get that technics are very good and when I can afford one I will buy one but I am also interested in the other brands mentioned and other recommendations. Also even given how reliable technics are but the price the older ones are if I'm spending that sort of money will spendthrift little extra to buy a new mark 5 as apposed to an older mark 2.

Thanks for clearing up if it's best to have a matching pair or not I wasn't aware or not if the slight differences in brands made big differences when using together.

8. evildacat

Which cartridges needles and such would you use and is this all I will need to replace when I get a deck ? Never owned a turntable so just going off what I have read for perishable parts I will need to replace and keep spares of .

9. Private Storm

Just out of interest, why are you looking to introduce vinyl into your set up? Obviously wasn't your 1st choice as you've got CD decks. Collection of vinyl you'd like to play? Scratching? Have you considered adding in a controller and playing from a laptop?

Re: needles - just get some basic ones, unless you intend to scratch or use them all day, every day, you don't need the expensive types. I wouldn't assume you need a new cartridge and needle, hopefully what comes with a second hand deck is perfectly usable. Take a close look at how worn down the actual needle is.

10. evildacat

I have Ableton with a good laptop and push 2 but at the moment I am more interested in using that for music production for now but fully intend to have it part of set up while mixing in the future.

Cdj's were my first choice as most of my Music was digital or CD and couldn't afford another media habit in the form of vinyl given the price it is at, but I think I have found a way to get a OK amount of vinyl I like for very little and after reading a few articles on the prices of turntables ( massive lies ! Lol ) thought the hardware would be a fair bit cheaper then it is turning out to be.

And also to give me another option of practicing beat matching as I have learned a sort of cross if beat matching with the cdjs.

Will want to play an assortment of genres and wouldn't mind learning some basic scratching nothing to much though.

11. evildacat

Or yeah and an alarming amount of second hand decks seem to have at least the needles missing

12. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

Save up and buy the Technics - they may well be expensive in relative terms but there is a reason - they are built to last and they can withstand a great deal. Moreover, and perhaps most inportantly, they are far superior to the recently launched (and qualitatively inferior) Pioneer deck.

13. Beats & Pieces

You can replace them - and you really ought to anyway.

:eek:

14. evildacat

Ow I know I was just referring to pretty much all the listings / auctions don't even come with them though I suppose this is to try to get you to purchase new ones off said vendor for your convenience and their profit.

15. evildacat

Is it the OEM motors I am thinking of if I have the initials correct ? Noticed from a few articles that all with thus motor including the pioneer they say there is next to no difference in any of the decks that use them and suggested if you are getting one with that motor in it may as well get the cheaper ones given the lack of difference.
    Seen the reviews for the pioneer deck and the price and was never even considered as one to look into.

16. Beats & Pieces

No. The Pioneer deck is not built to the standard of a 1200 / 1210 - just compare the weight - and enjoy the euphonic playback.

17. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

The Reloops rp7000 are very nearly as good so the Technics, for a lot less.

Edited for autocorrect!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

19. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Just saw a pair, with a mixed for £650 on ebay.

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I was really lucky and got a pair of 1200 mk5s...for free! My mate had some "spare", and said I could borrow them indefinitely.

He's using a pair of battered 1210s mk2s, so I was confused as to why he wasn't using the better decks himself, but he said he prefers to use the shit ones so he's better prepared for the shit ones he'll inevitably encounter when he's playing out, which kind of makes sense I guess. And a bonus for me :cool:

21. evildacat

Can I borrow them indefinitely, see if I like them :D

Fez909 likes this.
  22. evildacat

Thanks, will look through that now. Don't suppose you've ever used the high end vestax's have you ?

23. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Nah, 'fraid not.

24. Beats & Pieces

Silly question (and one that I should have asked earlier) but what are you going to be using the decks for? Are you looking to just play vinyl with some mixing or are looking to be more technical?

25. evildacat

mostly for mixing, but I will wanna try them for more technical things as well hence the looking into other decks as well as just the price range.

26. evildacat

Shall I take your like as an agreement to loan me them then Fez? ;)

27. evildacat

Have you used any other Reloops models 1000,2000,4000 or 8000's? Currently no 7000's on ebay second hand and they are 410 new upwards. The 8000's are 520+ new with the lesser models a fair bit cheaper.
    Or does anyone know of other places to buy decks from second hand? Round where I live cash converters I have looked they had a 1200 for 400 and it didn't look in great shape the rest were Numarks and when I searched the online cash converters site they had practically none in there either let alone anything I would even consider. GumTree again a few 1200 but all over 400 and then next to nothing either. DJ'ing doesn't seem to have gotten to these parts of the UK yet.

28. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

No, only played about on the 7000s.

29. evildacat

When/if I do get a turntable or two what do I ideally need to replace in terms of these items please?

30. Beats & Pieces

It will depend on what you want to use them for.