1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ Q&A thread.

Discussion in 'music making & live music' started by evildacat, Oct 6, 2015.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It certainly looks like they're not switched on :hmm: :D

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Certainly doesn't seem to be much power in that equipment :hmm:

She seems like a celebrity DJ...very active posting and sharing of personal life on her FB page. I haven't actually found a video that shows her mixing closely enough to say much else.

Nastia | Facebook

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Doing a fake dj search did bring this up though:

4. evildacat

evildacat bunchie‑santa.gif

Seen here video on Techno station she does seem more interested in dancing then mixing.

5. evildacat

It's not even that hard to have the equipment on and pretend either unless she really has no idea how to use a mixer and is petrified on pressingvthe wrong thing to main output.
    Touching 2 separate jog wheels within the first 2 mins without having the head phones on is a skill I don't think even Laurent garnier has perfected if he actually dj'd that way.

6. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

[​IMG]

One off, one on.

As one poster said on the FB discussion 'Even Stevie Wonder could see that they're off'.....:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Sea Lion likes this.
  7. souljacker

souljacker a little more touch my body

I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt just because maybe the way the light was falling on the kit meant I just couldn't see that it was all switched on. But when she started cueing up that deck on the far right whilst not listening to anything, I thought, she's not djing there.

8. evildacat

You can switch all the lights off but the main screens are always on showing the waveform key and times though.

9. evildacat

Anyone used this audacity program for recording sets ? Downloaded it but not used it yet

10. souljacker

I've used it to copy all sorts. The great thing about audacity is that you can set it to record whatever comes out of your PC.

11. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Loads of DJs prerecord their sets, and have done since as long as I can remember. Can't say it's a practice I approve of, but it mostly seems to be the lasses that get slagged off for it, I notice.

12. souljacker

There's numerous videos online that show blokes making tits of themselves. The fact that there are people calling themselves DJ's when they are actually playing pre-recorded mixes is the crime here.

Sea Lion likes this.
  13. evildacat

I assume it's just a matter of connecting mixer main out to the mic in on your computer open the program and pressing record?
    I will eventually use Ableton for this as well but wanna hear how I'm getting on without the temptation to be able to clean things up and so forth. Plus being asked to do a few things for a new pirate radio station/ friends new studio / label but not confident enough to play live on air yet but if I'm happy with what u record will give them a few sets to play if they like then see about doing it live on air after that.

Between us all we have a pretty fucking mid to high end studio as well when we pool everything together.

14. evildacat

Can you use it to rip the audio off YouTube it what ever as well or any streaming site ? I assume you can convert to MP3 file or what ever you wish in the settings?
    Any surprises I should be aware of with it you can think of ?

15. souljacker

You don't even need to do that. Just tell it what audio interface to record and it does it.

16. evildacat

Given that currently I'm just using the laptop to record on it will need an input from the mixer to the laptop to copy the output ?

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

That said I was watching another video the other day, where it really looked like they were off, but then you could just see the orange light on the cue button. So lighting is always a possibility.

18. souljacker

Sorry, I might have confused matters. If your onboard sound card is outputting the music, then you just select that output as the record source. If you are using an external mixer than then goes off to amps/speakers, then yes, you'll need to feed that output into the laptop somehow and record the incoming stream.

I've not got Audacity on my work PC but have at home so if it's still not clear I can send a screenshot later.

19. evildacat

Yeah I want to record what I am mixing so can see how I get on over a longer time and see if it flows and goes together well from my cdjs and mixer.

Eventually I will have the laptop hooked up and use Ableton while mixing but at the minute I master the drum loops and projects I have done on Ableton and put them on my USB sticks.
    I have an external sound card also will it be better to feed the mixer master out through that then from that to the laptop mic I out to record using audacity or which ever program I record the mixer output with or just go straight from the mixer to the laptop ?

20. evildacat

Having being asked to DJ on a friend's radio station wanted to ask how yous think I will get on with different equipment. I have only used cdj2000nxs's and doubt they can afford these, are different makes vastly different to use and what issues do you think I may come across?
    Also o ly used Xone62 mixer any major problem you can also forsee ? Have all my music loaded up on rekord box I assume if not using pioneer gear the songs will play fine but all my markers cue points etc will not work ?
    .any other general advice on using equipment and the differences would be appreciated, gonna try and head over to see the set up as soon as I can also and hopefully get to gave a little play on their system.

21. evildacat

Read the other day mixmag Jan 2017 edition has a small interview with nastia on page 66 where she addresses this and said it was a trick of the light and was the same for every DJ and shows how she has to deal with sexism as she was the only one to be accused of faking. Nothing about her midi g 2 separate cdj's without headphones on and there is also another video of this set on YouTube which show she had 2 turntables on also and there is a point on that video where she has no vinyl on the turntables headphones on one of the platters again touches two jog wheels without headphones on then brings a new song in and is tiucjingvthe wrong section of the mixer to be able to do this. She is using an Allen and Heath xone92 I use a 62 do know where and what she should be altering to bring another channel in so she is full of shit. The whole interview lurches from unrelated point to the next and of course mixmag cannot be unbiased as in this edition they voted her number6 in the best dj's of 2016.

22. evildacat

Anyone who fakes dj'ing should be highlighted and shamed I don't care what sex they are, it's a hit topic atm though sexism in dj'ing.

23. evildacat

If anyone has used this audacity program to record or knows how it works would like to ask a few questions if you'd be as kind ?

24. evildacat

Also I gave some vinyl but no player - this is mainly rare and Ltd edition stuff I wanna get a player at some point and would like to be able to use it on my decks as well is it just a matter of getting a 1210 technics or would you recommend anything else with the set up I have and it wanting to be used also as just a player?

25. evildacat

Pretty sure I have sorted the recording issue out with audacity, just need to sort the levels and settings out then record all being well and correct.

26. evildacat

Would appreciate some advice on which turntable to get still.