Division Four 2018-19

Discussion in 'football' started by JimW, Jul 16, 2018.

1. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Home to Crawley, finally got our home kit having had to ditch Hummel and switch to a UK outfit called PlayerLayer; hope that unbeaten run in the third kit doesn't suffer. Crawley bit hit and miss but won away at Lincoln so no slouches.

2. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

First home win! Snuck into last play off spot. Mid table obscurity after we drop away looking a good bet. Late late winner for Lincoln keeps them top.

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Did all right to get the draw away at Macc in the end, despite them coming in to the game off the back of their midweek spanking at West Ham. Late pen to them first given then turned into a card for a dive. Again we went ahead and didn't keep the lead but still unbeaten. Think that puts us in last play off spot too.

4. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Continuing spiral down. Now in relegation spot with no sign of where change is going to come from.

5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

It'll be the standard manager sacking I assume. Must be due any day now.

6. Lazy Llama

A bit of a postponement - we appear to have won a match!

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Started with a more attacking line up and looked sketchy to start but blinding second half carried the day, then Us got a man sent off too. Ten points clear of relegation!

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

An eight for Lord Norwood gives us a glorious win over Lincoln. Sent off in the dying minutes, but his work was done then.

quiet guy likes this.
  9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

To think I wasn't too bothered when he left us, despite being our then top scorer. Seems to have thrived with you.

10. Lazy Llama

And another. Less possession and fewer shots, but nicking the sort of goal we had been giving away for the first too.
    Changes in team selection/formation, some forced by injury seem to have done the trick, so far at least.

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Unbeaten no more; was bound to happen but bit daft when it did, away to out of form Northampton who might have had a new manager bounce having brought Curle in, but we took the lead then as is our wont this season conceded second half, looked like yet another 1-1 but with literally the last kick one of our new defenders who's been mostly excellent made a horrendous gaff and let them in for the winner. Mid-table it is then.

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

After looking well off it in our local clash with Cheltenham Saturday put in a much better showing home to Tranmere last night. Big part of the difference was reece brown starting I think, lad's come on leaps and bounds from slightly lightweight youth of last season. Good to get three goals with our main striker still out injured and back into the play-off spots.

13. Lazy Llama

Three wins from the last four matches, with the other being a draw against Exeter. Looks like the Mariners have found some form, and at least one person who knows where the goal is.

14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Really solid away win at Exeter, bit of a landmark performance in terms of the season. Would have been an impressive 2-0, clean sheet at strong team, but almost last kick our talented but erratic loanee keeper let a soft shot through his legs. We can laugh now the whistle's gone.

15. belboid

Keeping you just above us, who also let in a bloody stupid goal to (slightly) cloud our otherwise magnificent 5-1 win. 2 points off automatic promotion, probably only needing another four or five points to be all but safe from relegation. I'll take that.

quiet guy likes this.
  16. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Played very well away at leaders Lincoln but still on the end of a 2-1 defeat, which is what you get for no end product. Even with their dip in form that's exactly what they had despite being on the back foot for long spells.

17. Lazy Llama

Went to Cambridge.
    Poor performance from the trains (broke down on the way there), the Mariners (unimpressive throughout) and the bus service (didn't turn up for 45 minutes, then crawled to station).

Neither team deserved the win, referee deserved a severe talking to, which it looked like Jolley gave him at full-time.

18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Norwood at it again I see. Great start for Tranmere. Half wonder if Lincoln might fall away, they were carrying fair few injuries yesterday but looked there for the taking.

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Didn't manage to take it though did you?:p

Seriously though, while there has been a recent dip largely due to injuries (it was a bit of a patched together side on Saturday, particularly in midfield), that has been the pattern of the season to a large degree. We're not top by virtue of outplaying teams (although we have moved on a bit from humping it up at Matt Rhead) but we have solid centre backs and keeper that don't concede many, and enough quality to score somehow in most games now. The strongest areas of our team are the ones that grind you out the points in a close game and I think we'll continue to do that - I can see quite a lot of teams coming away saying 'we should really have won there'.

Plus I have a lot of faith in the Cowleys - falling away isn't really their thing.

20. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

You're not wrong but with our only senior striker out we were always going to be lucky to score more than once. Also true hard to think of other sides that will be quite as consistent.

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Arse, suckered by a classic away performance from Morecambe. We had twenty shots but only about three or four on target, they scored with one of their handful and made the keeper work with most of the others. Lots of nice football without a cutting edge. Looks like midtable obscurity might be it this year after all, not that I'd have been unhappy with that when the season kicked off. Got nearly 3,000 home fans in too to watch our first home defeat with a kids go free offer :facepalm:

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

After a bad showing in our FA Cup replay back to winning ways up in Cumbria, though a second half pen to Carlisle made it a bit of a nervy finish. Started with our young loanee striker and he scored in pretty short order. Stopped the rot setting in but probably still short something up form if we want to try and push on for the play-offs.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Sol Campbell got the Macc job then, suppose the club's on a hiding to nothing but not sure this is the best opportunity for him as he doesn't really know the lower leagues I suppose.

24. Lazy Llama

That's going to be interesting.
    To watch from the outside.
    I wouldn't want him to be relied on to rescue us from peril.
    He was mentioned as a potential Town manager last time but I don't think it was a realistic prospect.

25. belboid

got every chance of doing just as well as John Barnes did for us.

26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Sounds like they could have had Askey back as well if they'd tried. Suspect it'll all end in tears.
    ETA has got all his badges, mind! :D

27. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

Town seems to have ended well after a shaky start tonight.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  28. Lazy Llama

Yes, though the second goal sounds like it had a touch of “the hand of cod”!

dessiato likes this.
  29. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Looked toothless again at home in a tight game with Colchester, disappointing crowd too. See the Sol effect has started already for Macc!

30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Thrills and spills at Huish Park, started well, Yeovil came back into it, we went behind to a good counter attack after we blew a free kick then looked doomed when we went down to ten men bit harshly, but Yeovil sort of sat back and time-wasted, ref added seven minutes and we snagged the two late goals for a very feelgood away win.

dessiato likes this.