Division Four 2018-19

Discussion in 'football' started by JimW, Jul 16, 2018.

1. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Surprised to still be here! I know we have a Lincoln fan or two on here, and now plucky non-league Tranmere have made it to the promised land to play the big boys like us I thought we might actually stretch to a dedicated thread this season.
    Macc seems to be on a complete rebuild; we've done some decent business including nicking a good midfielder off Cheltenham and hanging on to Doidge so if we can get a last holding mid in I reckon we might be early challengers for the coveted mid-table obscurity cup. That would be progress. We've even covered a bit of the away terrace and put a few seats in too make it look like we think we're staying in the league.
    Elsewhere Notts seems to have recruited strongly and I expect them to be up there, relegated sides all seem a bit of a mess. Lincoln ought to challenge again, Mansfield maybe not as Flitcroft seems a bit useless.

sealion, editor and Lazy Llama like this.
  2. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

See this thread has really taken off as anticipation reaches fever pitch.
    We've got a friendly against dirty Leeds tomorrow, will have to go some to live up to our last outing away at NL South Weston-super-mare that ended 6-6. Defensive concerns, us? Means nothing, etc, etc

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

So you're not talking to yourself...

Quietly confident again from a Lincoln point of view. We've lost one major player but look to have a solid replacement, and have brought in some decent looking attacking players - if we can keep last season's defensive solidity and add a few more goals we'll do well. As long as we have the Cowleys in charge I think we'll continue to improve steadily - whether that's from 'scraping into the playoffs' to 'relatively comfortably into the playoffs' or whether we can make a decent challenge for promotion we'll see I guess.

And either way the crowds continue to grow. Season tickets sold out for the end of June - when you're used to a couple of thousand moaning old gits that's pretty amazing.

sealion and JimW like this.
  4. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

We've got our new manager who everyone is terribly optimistic about after turning things around at the end of the season.
    We'll have to wait and see, but we all live on hope to some degree... :thumbs:

Our signing from the Imps, Elliot Whitehouse, has ruptured his ACL so probably won't play for the entire season :rolleyes:

Lost our first pre-season match against Cleethorpes Town, playing Sunderland tomorrow.

Ordered my new home short at the weekend as the GTFC Club shop was doing £10 off for "exiles" - people outside the DN postcodes.

Obviously blew the saving on shirt personalisation :)

I think I have 12 or 13 Grimsby shirts now - mix of home, away and third - about half are match-worn bought from the club on Ebay.

sealion likes this.
  5. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Yes, lots of talk about glory hunters but they've stuck around long after the cup run for fourth tier football. On a smaller scale was pleased to see our home support (i.e. miuns away) averaged over 2,000 which is progress for us too and makes the possibility of being self-sustaining and not just DV's plaything more likely. Even turned a small profit last season he reckons though the accounting's probably creative.

6. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Saw that about Whitehouse, poor sod. Jolley's results on the run-in certainly cause for optimism. Cooper will probably continue to be a mard-arse, actually like the football he gets them playing when it works but that's rarely and seems to involved regular fallings out with established players.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  7. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

It does feel a bit more substantial than 'glory hunters'. Obviously if we were still shit then crowds would be a lot lower and it remains to be seen how they'll hold up once we have the inevitable downturn. Against that though we've had big games before with the resulting big turnout and it's never led to substantial crowd increases for regular league games. Last season we did well for a newly-promoted team but were never near the top but the crowds have continued to grow. And if you go now one thing that's very noticeable is how many kids there are, and how into it they're getting. That's got to be good for the longer term.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

A top half finish would do me very nicely, hell, just avoiding relegation fears would do me okay. We haven't exactly set the world alight with our purchases, but we are picking up a couple of interesting looking kids on loan. And the friendlies have gone quite well, beating Dunfermline, only losing to Liverpool & Wigan by a single goal, and we made Karious look silly again, so that's nice.

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

My usual pre-season is trying to work out who the basket cases almost certainly worse than us will be, no-one really stands out though Morecambe might struggle again. MK Dons will probably challenge OK up the other end. Not sure about Oldham and Bury, sometimes a team like Bury can continue to struggle.

10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Our friendly against Leeds is being streamed live for free on their website so now I can't go to bed. Bastards.

belboid likes this.
  11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Kept it down to to 2-1 defeat. Look all over the shop at the back still and scoreline pretty flattering.

12. Lazy Llama

0-1 defeat to Sunderland AFC, 9 changes after 60 minutes including two triallists.
    Some promising performances from new signings by all accounts.

13. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Doidge looked sharp again, if we start the season with him still on board hope springs eternal. Shepard stood out from new signings, still short a holding CM though.

14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Checkafraud are trying to tempt us with fixtures against local rivals Cheltenham, newly promoted Coventry who we madly did a league double over last season and Arsenal's kids. Sadly think we'll only be half-hearted in the boycott again.

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Since managed to beat the Gas at home with a clean sheet and Hereford away last night, all progressing fine but still short a CM I think and vulnerable at the back still. See Franchise are bookies' faves for the title with Notts also favoured.

16. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Finally signed a defensive mid from Mansfield, they seem to think solid with the odd mare when out of position. And announced our new kit weeks after everyone else, given the unavoidable dayglo pretty nice as it's now Hummel:
    [​IMG]

17. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Nervous now for the start of the season and an away day at Stevenage.

18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

We're picking up where we left off away to the Mariners. Never do well up there and last time no exception, also rarely start the season with a win, so anything we get would be a bonus.
    Do wonder if you've recruited sufficiently, we found the step up much bigger than anticipated. Macc look even more short of quality.

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Turns out our owner has decided not only to put a star on the back of the kit to symbolise getting in the league, cringey enough, but two greyed out ones to symbolise ambitions to get promoted. Christ on a bike.

20. Lazy Llama

So not expecting promotion this season then....
    Or will they be selling filled-in stars to stick over the greyed out ones?

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

We'll be tippexing them off if we get relegated :D

Lazy Llama likes this.
  22. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Velcro ones would be better for the environment :D

Lazy Llama likes this.
  23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Here we go then! Sat getting ready to listen to the radio on a sweaty night thousands of miles away. Like the look of our team pn paper but so much churn over summer see how they play together. Not that we ever get much joy in Cleethorpes.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Shaky start first half, just getting into it when we conceded a pen for ball to hand (no quibbles apparently) so behind at the half. Then start brightly again but equalise from Winchester with a free header. Then Grimsby defender passes back to a keeper who's not there and it goes in! Doidge gets good header in from a corner and another from an undercooked backpass. Great start for us.
    See Crewe off to a flyer against Morecambe too.

25. Lazy Llama

Well that sounded awful. 1-4 defeat to start the season.

Bizarre own-goal possibly caused by the keeper not being visible in a dark top against black and white seating behind.

Any buzz around Jolley and his new team has been well and truly killed off.

Attendance was 5,879, which included 72 away fans. 72! That’s way below FGRs usual away isn’t it?

26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Bit below but not much, we're still a tinpot village side. Think we averaged something like 160 last season but skewed by some local fixtures.

27. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Good start JimW. You guys gonna keep it up?

Also do you reckon the Carlisle fans are halfway home yet?

28. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Oldham home next Sat so we'll see. Doubt we'll get many wins that big again but we hard a lot of churn over summer like I said above so you'd expect them only to play better the more they get to know each other. Bench looked stronger too with some players who can change a game at this level. Wasn't surprised Winchester who we got from Cheltenham did well (he's played for Northern Ireland) but pleased Joseph Mills we got to come home from Aus did well, saw several grimsby fans mention him. He seemed a middling sort of signing at first look.
    Glorious mid-table might be ours!

29. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Early days ain't it. Crewe score was a bit of an eye opener and a friend of mine is gloating that her beloved Crawley have a 100% record this season :)

30. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

2 all draw after being 2 nil down within half an hour. Stevenage still have one of the quietest home crowds and they don't really get behind their team. We have a few things to resolve with all the new players but hopefully they will take heart from a stirring second half comeback.
    Onward and upward.