Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Div 4/EFL2 2019/20

JimW

支那暗杀团
Just spotted that our game against Plymouth is being streamed live by one of the Chinese YouTube-alike services tomorrow. Amazing when I remember our games in the Southern League.

Last edited:

Lazy Llama

Suburban robots that monitor reality
... but Grimsby sacking Jolley seems a bit out of the blue. Fan expectations unrealistically high for a young manager?
It's a bit strange, especially the timing. We've only had an FA Cup game in the last 3 weeks and we drew that.

I like Jolley, he saved us from relegation at the end of 17/18, but performances have been very inconsistent, repeated runs of several good results followed by a string of defeats. Not that long ago we were up in the playoff spots, but we're now down in 18th, albeit with 2 games in hand.

I suppose it's better than previous times when we've sacked the manager just after the transfer window closes.

JimW

支那暗杀团
It's a bit strange, especially the timing. We've only had an FA Cup game in the last 3 weeks and we drew that.

I like Jolley, he saved us from relegation at the end of 17/18, but performances have been very inconsistent, repeated runs of several good results followed by a string of defeats. Not that long ago we were up in the playoff spots, but we're now down in 18th, albeit with 2 games in hand.

I suppose it's better than previous times when we've sacked the manager just after the transfer window closes.
You'll get Slade back if you're not careful!

JimW

支那暗杀团
Jeez, no.... what's Bignot up to these days?
That's a thought, would have to check. Other good options all seem to have just been snapped up. Wouldn't want Tisdale, fair few Exeter fans think he got by on other's good work with the youth team and was prone to bizarre tactics and selection.
ETA Bignot co-managing Guiseley apparently, get on the phone!

JimW

支那暗杀团
Our game with Argyle is being streamed live by a Chinese YouTube-alike site, saved me a fiver and constant refreshing due to connections overseas always being patchy. Argyle seemed to have wibbled a bit under Lowe but you keep thinking they have the squad to come good, hope that's not today.

Lazy Llama

Racking up another game in hand while Newport furnish their “international commitments”.

Will give the new manager a bit more of an opportunity to catch up.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Beaten by a good Sarcevic goal in a pretty even match though can't complain about losing, Argyle bit more incisive first half and we dithered too much going forward. Still had the usual few chances but couldn't put one away.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Away at Orient today, Os seem in a bit of a mess and hopefully a caretaker manager won't be enough for a bounce. We're not too short on the injury and suspension front though Kitching on a ban is a miss and not many options if starting line-up isn't firing.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Phew, got there in the end, three up at the half having played well but bit flattering as orient were decent but lacked a final ball (and had one off the post early doors). They came out like a train, we couldn't win any second ball and got pegged back to three two and what seemed like and endless series of orient corners, but finally calmed it down a bit and got the sealer on the break late on. I'm not sure why Os fans hate Ebou but he won't have won many of them back after today, really got in their heads first half.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Victory marred by accusations that Cooper made some remark referencing Justin Edinburgh that so angered Os caretaker he chucked something and got sent off. Really hope that's a misunderstanding as that would be really low. Cooper denying it, their chairman saying it happened.

Oh dear, Orient.

We got mugged by FGR first half in a feisty affair, after trying and failing to take Adams out early on. We know he’s a good player after his loan spell with us 2 seasons ago, and the fans hostility is akin to a jilted bride - when he turned us down for Ebbsfleet last season. We were much better second half, but you rarely recover from 3 zip.

Don’t know what to make of the managers’ sledging that saw Coach Embleton lose his rag and see red. Doubt there will be any repercussions from the EFL/FA as it’s Cooper’s word against his.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Bit of a low quality nil nil home to Crewe that we were the slightly luckier not to lose. Only heard second half commentary and we sounded off the pace and a bit disjointed. Not too many clear cuts chances either way though they did have one off the post.

steeplejack

Reluctant Hardliner
Crewe have picked up nicely this season under David Artell. A settled and quite confident side.

Scunthorpe are really moving up through the gears with a 3-1 win away to Blackpool in the Sherpa Van Trophy- quite a few games unbeaten now and performances improving all the time.

JimW

支那暗杀团
Crewe have picked up nicely this season under David Artell. A settled and quite confident side.
Only had commentary (and our local radio bloke is really pisspoor) so hard to judge but noth managers seemed to think it was a quality game despite the score. Notable how defensively we set up despite being at home.
On to the cup this weekend, fellow basement dwellers Carlisle. They're on a bit of a downward trajectory so hoping to get through.
See Doidge seems to have turned the corner at Hibs!

JimW

支那暗杀团
Well beaten in the end by an industrial Scunny side, shaded first half peppered with cards for them, then missed pen early second and Scunny took over, two good goals from distance and their red when it finally came far too late to matter. Hours since we scored at home in the league.
To cap it all off game was delayed for announcement about racist language from the main stand. Cunt

Orient finally announce appointment of Ross Embleton as permanent Head Coach...on a 12 month rolling contract. Let’s just say the reaction of most O’s fans who have seen us underwhelm with him as interim boss has been less than positive...

Thoughts being he’s a natural number 2 and not a gaffer, and that the current set-up at the club is far too cosy. Oh well. We’ll see how it pans out.

Lazy Llama

Appointment of Ian Holloway as Grimsby manager has been met with extreme enthusiasm.
2 wins from 2 since his appointment, though he was only in charge for one of those. First wins since Sept.
Highest away attendance in league 2 for 4th Jan match against Mansfield.

Tickets for the match at Orient are selling very quickly, likely to sell out the 1,200 allocation.

Going myself, along with my brother and an exile friend.

JimW

支那暗杀团
We're having a wobble, can't get the ball in the net though we've not fallen off too far. Couple of new bodies in, lad Brown started Sat and looked handy in midfield, also brought in striker from Leamington where he scored for fun, but even if he handles step up suspect our problem is the style not the forwards.

The high point of O’s season was the unexpected 0-4 pumping we handed out at Cleethorpes. I’d be very surprised if a similar result happens against the Cod Botherers on Saturday...

JimW

支那暗杀团
Blimey! For once on the right end of a seven goal thriller having not been able to buy a goal recntly. two down after some comical defending but pulled one back just before the half from a free kick as the midfield and forwards had settled at least. Wind helped second half, holding up long balls forward and we took an unexpected lead, only to flap again in injury time and be pegged back. Ah well, take a point you might think but sub Collins popped up in a late foray to leather it into the top of the net. Good fun in retrospect and still on the shoulder of the play-offs.

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
Appointment of Ian Holloway as Grimsby manager has been met with extreme enthusiasm.
2 wins from 2 since his appointment, though he was only in charge for one of those. First wins since Sept.
Highest away attendance in league 2 for 4th Jan match against Mansfield.

Tickets for the match at Orient are selling very quickly, likely to sell out the 1,200 allocation.

Going myself, along with my brother and an exile friend.
Sorry I didn't see your post till just now, not long back from Brisbane road

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
The high point of O’s season was the unexpected 0-4 pumping we handed out at Cleethorpes. I’d be very surprised if a similar result happens against the Cod Botherers on Saturday...
1-1 with the game ruined by a dubious penalty and the orient 19 should have been shown the red for two bookable offences

A huge sigh of relief over E10 as Orient dispatch an abject Stevenage away 0-3 to ease any residual fears of relegation for us. We’ve improved the last couple of weeks, with Ouss Cisse (loan from L1 Gills) beefing up our lightweight midfield, youngster Soutiriou looking a good prospect up front, and coach Embleton ditching the negative tactics, wonky formations, and picking a better balanced team from the start of games. I’m not predicting a late charge up the table for us, but 12 points ahead of 24th now, and a buffer of 5 other iffy sides below us too - be happy if we finish about 12th after the time we’ve had since last summer.