Disruption at Book Fairs

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by PeterTCA, Dec 2, 2018.

1. JHE

JHE .

The authorities are to be warmly commended for ejecting the impertinent and heretical women.

If we allowed unauthorised opinions to be expressed, people would be offended. There would be uncontrolled debate and the risk of propagating problematic ideas. Sheer anarchy.

Ducking stools are no longer allowed - apparently, there is a risk of drowning - but I can see no H&S objection to using this nifty little contraption.

[​IMG]

The part that goes into the mouth holds down the cis scum's tongue and so prevents hate speech.

Traditionally it was known as a scold's bridle, but the appropriate committee may decide to rename it a safe-space mask or terf-muter.

2. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

Measured response there. :rolleyes:

3. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I’m genuinely surprised this safe space stuff is now in anarchist meetings. It’s making mumsnet look like radical politics on this issue.

4. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

Mumsnet's a perfect example of what happens when these idiots are allowed free rein. Anything to do with trans issues gets leapt on by people making vicious bigoted comments. It actually got so bad that they had to spell out new guidelines this year telling people not to be bigoted tossers.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. It’s how people get to form a hierarchy in a non hierarchical setting.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  6. Rob Ray

No it isn't, don't be ridiculous. Honestly this is on about the same level as "organised anarchists? Haha".

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. It’s interesting that it was originally conceived as a means of protecting women and is now being used against women who hold the wrong views.

This is a pretty good critique on it:

For your safety and security… | We are Plan C

Edie likes this.
  8. Rob Ray

It's being used against people who deliberately come in to upset and disrupt events, not quite the same thing.

But I was actually referring to that shallow dismissive tone you've employed. I have lots of my own criticisms about safe spaces, mostly around the problems of clarity, consistency and enforcement by small groups of organisers, but they have been employed to good effect before now and one line sneers about hierarchy is lazy crap.

Pickman's model and likesfish like this.
  9. It might serve useful purposes but you can’t really wriggle out of the fact that it’s hierchical. It’s a system of rules that has to be policed.

10. Rob Ray

If you think anarchism is a system without rules that can be enforced I refer you back to "organised anarchism, haha". Wriggle indeed.

11. Well no I don’t think that. But there has to be accountability. Anyway, enoughof this derail.

12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Honest and open debate being violently repressed, clearly.

13. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

It really isnt about free speech at this point. Its about how to stop/avoid fights (verbal and physical) breaking out, disrupting peaceful events, again and again and again and again and again and again.

Freedom of speech is an enlightenment ideal, and who would be against that? But the notion of debating in a reasoned manner to find a deeper truth needs to be set out with that goal in mind. A debating chamber has rules and expectations of behaviour. These restraining rules and expectations are out the window in whats happening at public meetings.

Funnily enough the likes of radio, tv and print media bring back some of those rules of conduct, which is partly why the debate can be had fairly safely and reasonably within those spaces.

In a free for all space of a corridor or hall or toilet or speakers corner its gloves off, take no prisoners and no backing down from either side. Its fuck the organisers requests, fuck the organisers guidelines, fuck any attempts to defuse confrontation, fuck the other side, fuck who ever gets caught in the fray, and fuck the long term consequences for others, maximum upset for retweets. <<<what has any of that got to do with freedom of speech? (other than as a figleaf of martyrdom to guilt trip with in the aftermath)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Thimble Queen and likesfish like this.
  15. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

feminists who want to exclude transwomen rather run into the hard fact.
    That their view is unpopular and runs against current opinion law and science but of course, some men hate women so much they go through years of shit just so they can "invade" a sacred female space:confused:.

16. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

This is what women are up against.

kabbes likes this.
  17. likesfish

So transwomen are going through all the shit they go through just to help oppress women really:confused:

18. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

God what a dim thing to say. And liked by the parrot pickmans of course.

19. JHE

JHE .

I see. It's not really anarchocrats silencing women dissidents, then. It's just honest bobbies trying to keep the peace for the benefit of all. I'll take your word for it.

Just out of interest, though:
    • How often do the peace-keeping anarcho-bobbies eject the screaming trans fanatics?
    • How often do they eject the heretical feminists whose crime is to refuse to chant that transwomen are women?

Edie and co-op like this.
  20. Rob Ray

Seriously though folks doing the "rules in anarchy haha" thing really is cringeworthy, pls do everyone a favour and stop embarrassing yourselves.

Signal 11 likes this.
  21. likesfish

still less stupid than being a Terf or a rad fem

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

what a spectacularly stupid thing to say.

likesfish likes this.
  23. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

I don't think you realise the irony of this given the simplistic nonsense you posted.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  24. likesfish

Not really because the people they are protesting are people who are willing to listen to their nonsense and the idea that all women are oppressed all the time by all men is nonsense of the worst kind.

25. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

:facepalm:

26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Terfery =/= radical feminism. A lot of radical feminists would consider enforcement of a rigid gender dichotomy anthithetical to feminist ideals.

Not the that the terfs will tell you that of course. They'd have you believe that all of known feminism supports their cause, despite abundant evidence to the contrary.

27. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

The misogyny just a scratch beneath the surface of the left wing is disgusting. And frightening.

28. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Tbf I'm not sure if likesfish is particularly left wing.

likesfish and Pickman's model like this.
  29. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

So you're happy to portray the whole of the left wing as misogynist just beneath the surface, on the basis (presumably) of one comment from likesfish, while simultaneously complaining about (supposedly) all women questioning trans inclusion as TERFs.

Sounds legit...

30. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

It’s not based on one comment by likesfish. My god.