Displays You've Never Seen: #1 The Lasers

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by paolo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Looking at this, it looks lame.

As a nine year old, it was the best thing I've ever seen.

archive-image-of-christmas-laser-light-show-oxford-street-londonengland-HJ4X1C.jpg

These beams were an inch wide. It was sci-fci.

And they were real death ray. There were landing spots to prevent injury. I can't imagine lasers like this these days. Ah fuck it, we got Star Wars, and *not being killed by actual lasers*. Super.

clicker and Chemical needs like this.
  2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

I recall back in 85 or 86, there was supposed to be a spectacular laser light show in Dublin but it failed. Disappointing but a day or two later there was a spectacular thunder and lightning storm, which kind of made up for it.

Chemical needs likes this.
  3. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

‘New’ lasers are hugely safe. Not just the operators having to be somewhat half sober, the beams are teeny weeny. Which isn’t a bad thing per se (i’ve Been lasered 6 inches off my face. :-o)

Buuuut. OMG. The old school lasers. Those big chunky static beams. Lush.

4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Not sure where this is, but I know the Ooo were early adopters of lazers back in the '70s

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I used to race down Oxford St on the back of my mate's motorbike and gaze in AWE at those lasers. It was like the future had happened in London.

paolo likes this.
  6. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

thats just something shit from Maplins being played The Who.

their set up looked more like this...
    [​IMG]

paolo and hash tag like this.
  7. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I remember watching from the top of the bus. They were just above the roof height. Seeing lasers the size of your fist, just above head height. Gobsmacking. I think they’d be gobsmacking now.

Pretty sure we can’t have lasers like those any more though. What’s a few burnt out eye sockets? Safety Nazis.

editor likes this.
  8. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

I think its more a case that nobody can be bothered to get out a load of 40 year old gear that needs 3 phase power and a water hookup for the cooling. you can use whatever you want as long as you're not scanning the crowd and have checked with the CAA if you're going to be firing stuff into the sky...
    you can still cause plenty of damage with the modern stuff and its far easier to rig.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14310-party-laser-blinds-russian-ravers/

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I remember them too but I was four and a half. This thread is making me feel young :cool: