1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disco / Funk Edits + Great Editors

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Danny Krivit :)

bahnsteig 23 is a FANTASTIC contemporary edit label - check it out!

2. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try.

3. Beats & Pieces

Otherwise known as Mr K. The guy is an absolute legend!

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Ive done an edit!
    There are two recent remixes of the classic Reese - Rock to the Beat
    theres the Christian Smith & John Selway Remix which is nearly great, but a little bit too techy for my tastes
    and based on that theres what I think is Kevin Saunderson own rework of that remix above Rock To The Beat (Christian Smith And John Selway Remix (Kevin Saunderson's Vocal Edit0) by Ann Saunderson, Reese on Beatport
    ...which is a lot better in drums and feel (less techy) but then the breakdown has some what I think are a bit cheesey vocals
    So this edit is basically a cut up of the two remixes which tries to avoid the weaker parts of both tracks
    Also Kevins remix goes out of time i found, especially in the intro, and ive tried to fix that and make it dj friendly to mix
    If anyone fancies a listen or even a download you can get it here

Now I think about it this is the second edit ive done, a few years back i did a rework of Dillinja's Angels Fell, going back to the original Vangelis Bladerunner sample source and giving it a widescreen intro...thats available for play and download too here

rubbershoes, Rutita1 and Fez909 like this.
  5. Beats & Pieces

So the 20th July 2017?

;):D

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

strange reply. why did you say that?

7. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Bladerunner replicant birthday reference?

Orang Utan likes this.
  8. ska invita

Ive done another edit!
    Trigger warning: its an edit of Put Your Hands Up For Detroit. I think most people on urban would file this tune under cheese but I liked it when it came out, liked it when i heard it at Good TImes at Carnival, and liked it until I saw the video for it, and then it went on to be #1 and generally get overplayed in shit discos etc.
    its a tune that doesnt seem to have a lot to do with Detroit, so this edit tries to make up for that. Didnt change anything in the first third...
    dl

sealion likes this.
  9. Beats & Pieces

10. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

great post.

yeah nuphonic were to goto label for that deep/disco sound back late 90s/ early 00s.
    I booked a few of the guys on their books for parties, the Idjuts, Chicken Lips, and when they sent me Greg Wilson's Credit sampler I booked him too. That was a great compilation and Greg has gone on to do lots of other great edits on Tirk and other labels including some on his own press.

Other great label of that era and of a similar genre was NRK, there was some great disco edits and disco influenced tracks they put out.

eta, nobodies mentioned DJ Harvey yet, his Black Cock series of edits are high;y regarded and much sought after with some foing for silly money

Orang Utan likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

12. Orang Utan

Anyway, what IS the difference between a re-edit and a remix?
    Carl Craig does both, but I don't know why one is called a remix and the other is called a re-edit.
    This is a re-edit:

13. lefteri

Was supersound edits? Thought they were just boots of the original tracks

14. Orang Utan

:oops: think you might be right. they sound so fresh though

lefteri likes this.
  15. lefteri

A re-edit is where you only have access to the final stereo recording so you can only cut it up and layer additional elements on top whereas a remix is done with the studio multitrack where there is more flexibility to change way it sounds, or throw most of it out and redo it as is often the case

Fez909 and Orang Utan like this.
  16. lefteri

I only have one but should probably get a few more of them, they sound really good and the originals are quite unaffordable in many cases - Andy's probably got a few left knocking around ;-)

17. Orang Utan

the supermax - african blood/telex - raised by snakes one is a banger

lefteri likes this.
  18. lefteri

That said there's so called re-edits these days where the re-editor has had access to the multitracks and some of them are cracking - the Kon & Amir edit of Sylvester mighty real is a case in point

19. moody

yeah, moxie. great print... dutch wern't they?

all tracks came out on limited release white labels. I had 2, couldn't tell you who they were by or even who the original artist(s) were,, Carl Craig did one for them tho, didn't he?

20. Orang Utan

yeah, he did a talking heads one:
    C2C4 - Specimen 1 & 2
    and this:
    C2C4 - Specimen 4, 5 & 6
    he nicked the bassline from the loleatta holloway tune on that for throw:

i heard him play dick hyman at plastic people once, must have been that re-edit

21. moody

traditionally, re=edits were made out of just the original recording, as Lefteri mentioned, maybe extending the intro or chopping out a breakdown or even re-arranging a track using/ recording on to Reel to Reel, sometimes even preforming edits live with a tape deck in the DJ booth, not a rare sight in some of the more up-front clubs in NYC or Chi-Town. The frequently mentioned Mr Wilson was a practitioner of this method, when he did promo gigs for the Credit releases he often would bring a tape deck yo the gigs, he certainly did to the one I booked him for, using it for live overdubs whilst playing.

As again mentioned, a remix is re=arranging the track, sometimes using additional elements that were not part of the original recording. Having access to the original multi-track or stems for the pc generation os pretty important when undertaking such a task

lefteri and Orang Utan like this.
  22. Orang Utan

23. moody

^

that was an okay tune I personally thought that it could of done with being slightly more dubby.

24. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

I think thats brilliant! I would be well loving it if i heard that out!

ska invita likes this.
  25. ska invita

Thanks Rory! Appreciate it...ive had/got some festival dj slots this year, and im planning on giving it a play at the next one. I reckon thats the right kind of crowd for it

Rutita1 likes this.
  26. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

It is totally..... I like how its a pop track and then 'name checks' some of detroit's greatest. Going from mainstream to 'those in the know'. Love it. It's very clever and works!

ska invita likes this.
  27. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Is this the same Kon?

sealion likes this.
  28. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'm a bit obsessed with the edit of Harold Melvin and the blue notes that kicks in just after the two hour mark on that bruce forest mix we were all dancing to a lot last year. Don't think it's available outside of the mix though... But fuck. Just perfect.

Bruce Forest / Naughty Boy Mix / Better Days Classics

29. Beats & Pieces

;)