1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disco / Funk Edits + Great Editors

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try. Banned

2. Beats & Pieces

3. Beats & Pieces

4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

The Unabombers used to play an incredible edit of 'open sesame', but it isn't anywhere I can find.

5. Beats & Pieces

6. Beats & Pieces

7. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Google is also your friend Ska. Think of the disco/funk tunes that you like and search for edits. That's clearly what other people do. :)

8. Beats & Pieces

9. Beats & Pieces

10. Beats & Pieces

11. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Todd Terje has done some great stuff under his Tangoterje alias

ska invita and Orang Utan like this.
  12. Beats & Pieces

A personal favourite.

:)

13. Beats & Pieces

This is simply a masterpiece.

14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Of the lesser known edit gangs Ive come across Im liking:
    Gay Marvine's stuff: Gay Marvine
    This one is particularly bad

Something called Tonic Edits COEO - Tonic Edits Vol.5

Some really great stuff on Razor n Tape (often more house loop/remixes than edits you could say) Razor N Tape

Theres some tunes on that label by one Ron Basejam that really got me into this..one called Someday is pure class

Secret Squirrels seem good - just came across today, so havent yet delved into the 15 volumes!

Likewise this little series of "afro-edits" from 2017 Orange Tree Edits

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Rutita1 likes this.
  15. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

He sure has:

Fez909 and Rutita1 like this.
  16. Fez909

Fez909 um...

This label puts out some good stuff, but the originals are pretty obscure (to me) so don't know if they're good edits. It's definitely good music tho: Common Edit

ska invita likes this.
  17. ska invita

Khotin & Dane (10) / Eddie C - Common Edit 10
    "A1 is an edit of "Все, Что Мы Знаем" by Александр Катенин, released in USSR in 1985 on Мелодия label"
    come on fez, you must know Все, Что Мы Знаем!

Fez909 likes this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Sadly I don't own CE10...I'm holding out for the original ;)

Waxist is also good btw

19. ska invita

It seems the number of edits has exploded in recent years...I guess we are in a Disco revival at the mo

liking this from 2016

20. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

A couple of my faves...

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  21. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I meant to say my fave Gay Marvine track is called 'I'm your money', can't seem to find it on yt.
    Also really like this at the moment...I think someone might have already mentioned it.

22. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

We've been in a disco revival of one kind or another for over twenty years.

Go back to the mid 90s and labels like Nuphonic were putting out heavily disco influenced house - they released Faze Action's In the Trees, which was massive. Whenever I went out in Manchester around '97 I seemed to end up in some small club dancing to disco or disco influenced house.

Nuphonic folded in 2002, but the same people set up Tirk in 2003. Their first (?) release was the Idjut Boys Re-Edit A Place Called Tarot and in 2005 they put out Greg Wilson's Credit to the Edit compilation, which as much as anything (re)popularised re-edits. Throughout the mid/late 00s there was quite a disco scene going on - I'm sure there's a few people around here who used to post on the DJ History forum (RIP), which was based around the scene.

And, yeah, the number of re-edits has exploded this decade. I'm surprised there's anything left to re-edit.

23. ska invita

Agree there's been bubbling interest in disco in all that time, and definitely the house scene has continuously drawn on disco - unavoidable as house is the child of disco - but my impression is its come to even more of a boil in the last ten years, and continues to boil particularly hard today...one sign of many includes daft punk+nile rogers collab in 2013 and the chic headline revival in general....

i was speaking to a record dealer last week and he said disco records have never sold for as much as now...theres some serious/silly money to be made if you can sell the right tunes to the right collectors. Not sure if thats true, but its what he said.

I think today we're also in a moment where breakbeat dance music is particularly stagnant, whereas it has run hard and been pretty dominant since 1990...sparser disco beats are much more on trend

Joey Negro reckons we're in a disco resurgence Joey Negro on the disco revival and new album - BBC News

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Spandex likes this.
  24. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Boom...

ska invita likes this.
  25. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

There's always Max Bygraves

26. Beats & Pieces

I posted this up - as much as I respect JN this just doesn't work for me. If I had the option of giving the Masters of this tune to anybody - it would have to be Greg Wilson.

27. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I agree in terms of GW being preferable to JN. That said, I still think it works. I've heard a couple re-edits of it of late- eg. Dionigi has done a whole EP of Kraftwerk re-edits. Buy Italokraft by Dionigi on MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF & ALAC at Juno Download
    Don't think it's as good.
    I saw a JN dj set a few months ago- found it really dull

28. ska invita

Nice set here from Maseo made up almost solely of funk and soul edits

like this funky drummer edit especially...

29. Beats & Pieces

This is very nice indeed.

30. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

This stevie wonder edit is sublime:

Fez909 likes this.