Digital Passport Photos, Can You Use Flash, Etc?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by treelover, Jul 30, 2019.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

just had my camera phone images rejected, using Huwei P8lite, i do have a nikon but no charger, neighbour has offered to retake them with his state of the art Nikon, but it is very dark today can you use flash, or are house lights ok?

Any other tips

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Generally no, as they will cause a shadow unless you can control the lightning to not do any shadows. I had this problem when trying to do my passport photos last year in the height of winter when there was no natural light ever in my North facing rooms which were the only rooms with suitable plain walls to stand up agaisnt.

In the end I did it on the stairs with the stairs light on which didn't cause any shadows and generated just about enough light to do a photo without the flash that the site accepted.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

upload_2019-7-30_14-34-0.png
    upload_2019-7-30_14-34-18.png

these rules - which you can find by googling digital passport photos or visiting Get a passport photo - ought to help you

4. treelover

Tx, its the flash i ma most concerned about

5. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

alternatively , if you go to one of the photo-booths with an orange seat, it automatically checks the photo and uploads it, you then get a code which you use when your'e online ( getting a passport for example, not tried with a driving licence) and its already there

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

No, but they now say that Snapchat filters are ok, so just stick some donkey ears on and you'll be good to go

gentlegreen and Pickman's model like this.
  7. treelover

Not well enough to get out for couple of days, will have to try again with top notch Nikon

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

This is actually quite hard to do - they reject pictures a lot I understand. When I needed passport photos recently I ended up just going to a photo booth. If I had to do it myself I would try to get a shot in really boring natural light without flash, as I don't have the correct diffusers, reflectors etc to produce a picture with no shadows. But going out for that is probably no easier than going to a photo booth I'm afraid.

9. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

I got a photo from a booth but when i uploaded it on the website it rejected the photo. Photo looked fine to me and there was an option to submit it anyway so i did that and i got the passport a week later with no problems.

10. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Last time I was in a post office getting a driving licence they had a digital photo booth thingy there and accepted photos taken in that as they directed them as per requirements.

11. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Oh, that's a bit bloody clever! So the millennials will never know the joys of sitting in the booth and then hanging around nervously to grab your still-wet photos as they drop out of the slot :)