Digital camera/pictures too dark

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by tobyjug, Jun 25, 2005.

1. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

My wife purchased a digital camera yesterday. The pictures, (using automatic) are too dark. The pictures were taken outside in sunshine.
    What are we doing wrong?

2. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

My d/camera takes crap pictures on automatic as well, either too light or too dark. What I do is go into the menu thing and adjust the EV setting before I take pictures.

3. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

Could you be more explicit as to which way to alter the settings please.
    (I am a complete ignoramus about photography we usually use throwaway cameras and have few problems with those).

4. jeff_leigh

jeff_leigh That was for Joe!

didn't you get a manual with the camera?

5. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

A ********* huge CD based one, but the manual assumes some knowledge of photography. It does not state which way to alter the settings to make pictures lighter.

6. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

in EV mode you'll see some numbers 0+,1+ etc the higher the number the lighter your photo will be and you can reverse it to make it darker, just look at the image in your viewfinder and you can see how dark/light it's going, when it looks O.K you can take your picture. Just spend a while experimenting with it, you should get the hang of it soon enough

7. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Ask the fella who programs your video player to do it?

8. atomik

atomik Banned Banned

Are they too dark when viewed on the camera's display, or is it just when you transfer them to your computer? Could be that your computer display isn't correctly calibrated.

9. alef

alef Needs to take more photos

What exact camera have you got? Can you place some of the pictures online for us to see?

10. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

I.T.WORKS 3045. I am unable to put any pictures on U75 as I do not have a web site. (I have tried all ways suggested in the past and none of them work).
    If we take a picture from inside the house of the outside the pictures are OK.

11. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

:D :D :D :D :D

*shakes very wet leg of trousers!

12. jeff_leigh

jeff_leigh That was for Joe!

hey c'mon don't be nasty, we can't all afford a D20 :)

13. Corax

I've only got a 2mp Olympus - even worse. I am, however, able to competantly point it at stuff.

*sniggers* :D

14. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

It was a near freebie, (on offer with something else) so there is no need to be a fucking moron. I asked a simple question.

15. boskysquelch

I was having a laugh at the I.T.WORKS bit actuarsey!...I wasn't trying to leave a smell of snobbery...weird anthropologically( youse lot!!!) that all I have todo is type a few words or post a few emoticons and sudenly it's assumed by all that I wouldn't want to help or whaddeva?...for the umpteenth time I DO NOT OWN A DECENT CAMERA...ish...just an adequate one for web use...I use a diddy ones to...for diffrent effects..if you are nice to me I may give you an URL to compare and contrast...#humph#....by-the-by if I am a moron how will I be able to help you?....duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrr!...so to prove that I'm not...I will.... :p ...in a minute....when I've moronically scooted round Google to see if I can get the spec of your camera's exposure controlabityness. :)

16. Corax

Moron.

17. boskysquelch

18. Corax

19. boskysquelch

pah! :p

anyways Meeeeesta tobyjug...it appears your camera doesn't seem to have much in the way of controls so you'll have to deceive it by trial an error...as you have a fixed focus lens I'd assume that the focus/exposure assessment/then shoot! experience your camera goes through when you depress the shutter realease is only in fact two fold...in mid depression the shutter realeas will assess the exposure then upon complete depression the picture will be taken. Try half depressing the shutter release half way whilst viewing something darker (if you find your picture is underexposed) then re-compose your shot keeping the shutter button in the halfway position..then shoot. Also consider using the force flash...conversely if the picture is overexposed do the process in an opposite way...it'll be a trial and error experience I'm afraid but not a technique that is impossible to achieve and repeat...in the end you'll work out you limitations of the camera and without breaking in a sweat do tons of pickees.

To start with take as many...AS MANY!!! pickees as you possible can to work out the way it works....do 'em of you big toe/cat/flower pot/favourite window view...wherever/whatever...and jus keep playing until you get what you expect to get and then you'll have sussed it...a couple of set of rechargeable batteries are a must and get and 128mb card...this has to be one of my favourite sites of all time the guy started of with a similar spec. :)

20. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

You have now puzzled me even more. It has more than enough controls for me, which is why we used it on Auto.
    It has a zoom, can record sound, a short sequence of video, time delay, macro focus, white balance, exposure -2.0 to =2.0. and quite a bit more.

21. Corax

Cameras like yours and mine have various settings tobes, but they're all preset automatic bundles really. That's what's meant by the dearth of control. The 'decent' cams allow you to adjust them in a more accurate manner, rather than picking "sunny".

22. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

It would be a complete waste of time my wife and I having a decent camera with a lot of bells and whistles, as we would never be able to operate it.

23. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

As a fix after the fact, you can always use a photo editing package to correct some of the problems (not as good as taking the exact photo you want in the first place, but can help).

There are various ones; for a beginner I'd say something like Picasa, which is a photo cataloguing program that has some editing facilities, would be useful for you. You can click on a photo, select "under exposed" and it will do some automagic correction.

http://www.picasa.com/

24. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

I am OK with photo editing I have three different packages to choose from. I would much rather be able to take the pictures right in the firstplace.

25. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

My mate got one of those for about 20 quid, they are absolutely dirge, you should be able to take IT works to court over the trade descriptions act, cos they don't take pictures at all, just frustrate the user.

26. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

better of getting a decent pns camera, I have a canon ixus 500 which is spot on in auto.

27. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

We can take pictures with it, and good ones. All I want is an explanation of how to make some of the pictures lighter using the adjustments.

28. boskysquelch

So Comet must have the wrong spec or the manufacturer has upgraded the camera...stick with what i said in the end...take loads of picture of anything to get use to your camera's falabilities.

-2 will make it darker +2 will make it brighter. :)

29. tobyjug

tobyjug Banned Banned

Cheers that was all I needed to know.

30. Corax

As you'd already quoted this setting, I assumed you'd tried adjusting it to no effect (and I suspect others did the same). What was stopping you? :confused:

Play around with it Toby. You can't break it by changing settings, and you'll almost certainly discover a "reset to default" option somewhere if you bugger them up too much and can't work out what you've done.

Just play with it and snap away, it doesn't cost anything, you can delete the photos if they're crap. You'll almost certainly get better snaps like this, and you might even enjoy it, y'know?