Diesel Idlers

Discussion in 'transport' started by DJWrongspeed, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Well I hope Urban can enlighten me on this topic.

What is the joy of leaving your diesel engine on ? Are batteries so crap these days?

I've seen so many incidences recently of people sat in their vehicle for 10+mins just sitting there. Not random places either but next to people who are outside having a drink etc

I was heartened by this website where it was recognised as an issue-> Idling & Airquality

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

no, they are just twats. Diesels have huge batteries for the cranking. Twats.

3. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

There is no reason. We have people in this street who start their diesels and leave them running for ages in the morning. I can understand it when it's frosty, but this is plain bonkers.

SpookyFrank and Badgers like this.
  4. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Maybe they have sharess in th eoil companies? As profit margin here is so much greater for diesel than petrol they're encouraging people to burn more diesel?

I guess

5. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Mostly arseholes. I generally get a decent reception when I ask them to stop idling while I'm working on my drive. Cabs are the worst offenders and probably the worst diesels operating in the UK.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  6. 2hats

2hats

Many recent diesel engine incarnations offer stop-start, so no idling.

But more generally, and for years now, the D is for deathwagon.

7. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I wonder if modern cars being better insulates from sound outside contributes. They just don't notice the racket.

Rosemary Jest and Poi E like this.
  8. Poi E

Catch all in German traffic laws: Paragraph 30 of the German Traffic law order states that unnecessary noise and exhaust, coming from vehicles are to be avoided, just like slamming car doors or unnecessary cruising through a closed community, if it becomes an annoyance to residents.

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Yeah :man: there are three parking spaces outside my house and almost always contain 3 diesel cars. The plumber has a habit of leaving his idling for ages before heading off :mad:

existentialist likes this.
  10. Poi E

It is awful in London on those cold, still mornings, where the diesel creates a nauseating fog that you can taste. There was a good time early 2000s when the capital looked to be getting cleaner but it's back to black snot these days.

Badgers likes this.
  11. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

I only realised this after a couple of weeks away in eastern Europe - coming across Blackheath on the journey home- I could taste the metallic tang in the air - not something you notice until you have been away somewhere clean for a while

SpookyFrank and Badgers like this.
  12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Stop-start will idle again soon after being stopped - quite a narrow set of conditions where it stops running.

People keep their engine running for various reasons: aircon, heating, don't notice it, etc

13. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

Do the cars that have stop/start technology have special batteries? Because after a spate of flat battery issues I had with a car that I was hardly using the RAC bod told me for every start up of an engine you'd need to run a car for about 12 miles or so to recoup the energy. I can't see how people can recoup the mileage if they're running around town stopping at traffic lights and pedestrian crossing etc, with their cars constantly stopping and starting....it wears the battery. So are they using some newer type of quick charge or low energy start up? :confused:

14. Poi E

Yup, batteries in modern cars don't last long. Yup, starter motors will probably be a regular service item.:D

15. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Start/Stop in mine has just stopped working! Hasn't done it for about 8 months! Due a service soon, not going to mention it.

16. Poi E

It's just adapted to your style of driving.

17. If you use the stop start, when sat at the lights in stop the power steering doesn’t work so you can’t idly play with the wheel whilst you wait, so fumes it must be.

18. Poi E

Fucking cunt in a truck idling outside for the past 10 minutes.:mad:

19. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

It’s illegal not to turn your engine off when stationary in the UK too, unless you’re stuck in traffic.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  20. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

If you ride the clutch at lights and rock the car backwards and forwards, then the stop/start won’t kick in :thumbs:

Lazy Llama and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  21. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The RAC person's math skills are possibly weaker than that of a VW or Toyota powertrain engineer. A cold start would be about 400A for maybe 5 seconds. A normal alternator will deliver 50A at idle so you'd be at energy equilibrium after 40 seconds and less when the engine is warm.

electroplated and MickiQ like this.
  22. Automatic, but foot off the break once you stop and the sweet, sweet fumes will continue.

23. Poi E

:D Makes parking difficult.

24. 2hats

2hats

Leverage the problem to help solve itself: legislate to require that the exhaust of all internal combustion engined vehicles is fed back into the driver facing a/c vents.

25. Poi E

Ever driven a "classic car". Comes as part of the package.

26. nuffsaid

Well the car I had/have I was only using once a week for a 4 mile round trip to Tescos and back. After about 3 weeks of this I had a flat battery. RAC bod came and checked battery and alternator, battery was original on 5 year old car, alternator was fine so they replaced the battery.

About 4 weeks later same thing happened, so then the RAC guy said to me about needing to do more miles and my free RAC membership deal I have with my bank only allowed for a certain number of callouts. I struggled with setting up a solar trickle charge for the car (at the time I was renting a garage from the council, but that had no power in it). That worked for quite a while and then didn't, so I resorted to disconnecting the battery each week after use, which wiped my radio settings everytime and then I got a new job which meant I needed to use the car every day so no problem. Ultimately I moved house anyway and made sure I had a garage with power.

I went to the dealership where I bought the car and asked should my car be ok for use after being left for 5 days and only doing minimal miles at weekends - they said - no. :rolleyes:

My car now sits on a battery charger Mon-Fri and so is always ok for occasional use.

27. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Think nuffsaid be much easier take the car out for an equivalant of a Sunday drive round somewhere nice every couple of weeks to charge it back up rather than stick on trickle all the time, seems easier! If easier, or if you're near one, go on a freeway to the next junction and back, going at a relatively slow pace of about 60 mph for fuel economy and give it time as welll. No need to go fast as it'll only charge at a max rate and any faster means shorter time to charge.

Whatcha reckon?

28. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

4 miles a week? It will be cheaper to use taxis than own a car.

A380, UnderAnOpenSky and OzT like this.
  29. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I keep reading the name of this thread as idle toddlers.

30. nuffsaid

Well there might have been the odd trip (14 miles all round) to Brighton and back, every weekend or so. But I've moved now and get Tescos delivery, and am using the car even less. Just had the MOT and I've done a little over 1,000 miles in a year...:)

I need it to visit the old folks who live in a village about 3/4 hour away where there's no train station and as they get older there's every reason for me to need to get there asap. But as mentioned, it's happily on a battery charger and still gets a run to Brighton and back every other weekend or so.